Honored Contributor

Re: I Can't Bring Myself To Go In That Store

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

knowing a bit more facts Ive changed my post--

JMHO but I think people are missing the point from what you said its more about THE WAY PEOPLE DIED IN SUCH A VIOLENT MANNER is what is bothering you --
(i.e.and other people were also trapped in the store) ....for example I dont think if some poor person died of a heart attack in the store you would have the same concerns,  other than feeling sorry for the person and their family/friends....BUT violent actions caused by some sort of an apparent dispute either among family members or employees can give one cause to pause.....and there have been many cases where innocent bystanders have unfortuantely lost their lives too in violent situations.....

I think I would find it unsettling in view of the circumstances ..with the years that have passed and you still have concerns that says something ....but it's your ultimate decision, and your choice

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I would be uncomfortable but if the store had good sales I'd probably get over it.

I read recently that Weis doubled digital coupons as well as paper coupons.  That was a sweet deal until the company discontinued the practice this month.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

The closet town with grocery stores is 10/11 miles away. There is a Weis Market and a Walmart. There were 2 smaller independent markets but they closed awhile ago.

I really dislike Walmart and can count on 1 hand the times I have been in there as a last resort.  It's been there close to 11 yrs.

That leaves Weis. I like the store and used to go often. However, in 2017 during an overnight shift people were stocking shelves (store was closed) a 24 r. old worker shot 3 co-workers and then himself. Another worker escaped and alerted police. I didn't know the victims or the shooter.

I cannot bring myself to go in there. I tried once about 8 months after it happened and in every aisle I wondered if someone died there.  I will travel an additional 8 miles to the next closet store.

I find it unsettling. Could you shop there?

Yes, I would shop there. Is it possible that you have a fear of something like that happening when you are in there? Like others have said, deaths and even murders In public are not uncommon. If you like the store, hopefully, you can shop there and become comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

@Silver Lining   No, I'm not worried about it happening again.  Sadly, mass shootings in this country are a common thing.  Malls, movie theatres, and of course schools.

I never walk in any business and look for the exits or give this stuff a thought. I get what I went in for and leave.

Now when I worked in the one law office for 18 years we did discuss a plan if a client showed up armed and ******.  I sat out front for 9 yrs.so I was the first possible target. lol  The women in the back had the sheriff's office on speed dial. Luckily, we were fine.

One divorce client did come in upset and agitated over a drawn out custody battle.  He ended up shooting and killing his soon to be ex-wife.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Silver Lining   No, I'm not worried about it happening again.  Sadly, mass shootings in this country are a common thing.  Malls, movie theatres, and of course schools.

I never walk in any business and look for the exits or give this stuff a thought. I get what I went in for and leave.

Now when I worked in the one law office for 18 years we did discuss a plan if a client showed up armed and ******.  I sat out front for 9 yrs.so I was the first possible target. lol  The women in the back had the sheriff's office on speed dial. Luckily, we were fine.

One divorce client did come in upset and agitated over a drawn out custody battle.  He ended up shooting and killing his soon to be ex-wife.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

That is scary. My profession is dangerous. If the clients aren't killing themselves or their children they're attacking the caseworkers.

Esteemed Contributor

@Silver Lining   My sister worked for Children and Youth for 35 yrs.

She and a male co-worker were detained in a home by a client w/a gun.  She had 2 really big guys block her in a hallway when she was leavong a home. They threatened her if the child was removed. Another time they removed a kid and after the police put the child in my sister's car and they were on the road the father got in his car and chased her through town. She drove straight to the polie station.

I told her whatever they pay you it is not near enough.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back in early 2002 Muhammed and Malvo (DC Beltway Snipers) started their killiing spree from WA state to the east coast. On 10/3/02 they murdered 4 people in Rockville, Aspen Hill, Wheaton and Kensington, MD before 10am. I live 6 blocks from the Safeway and Shell station where they parked in Safeway lot and shot and murdered a young woman vacuuming her car at Shell. The killings continued in DC, MD and VA until these 2 psychopaths were captured 10/24/02 in MD. During the Beltway Sniper killing spree in the DC area everyone was on alert; continued to use Safeway and Shell during this unsafe time looking over my shoulder. That was then, now we live with MS-13 everywhere in MD/VA/DC area.  Last 5+yrs, pay close attention, avoid known unsafe areas, have Ring & Blink cameras on property and armed.

Valued Contributor

Ugh

I hate Walmart, too- Would never shop there! I don't understand the appeal. 

You really don't have a choice unless you want to drive even farther- Go to Weis or order online?

Honored Contributor

When I moved to San Francisco years ago, in the Bank of America building there was a high rise for offices, the bank itself and a walkway from the bank to the office building -- beautiful building.  Anyway, there was a large spot in the carpetinig.  The week before someone was shot and killed during an attempted bank robbery.  What a welcome for me.  Funny, but I ended up working on the 50th floor (top floor) of the office building in a law firm.  I may have walked thru that walkway once but never had reason to.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I could shop anywhere if it meant I didn't have to go to Walmart. I truly hate that store.