Respected Contributor

Re: I Already Have Idiots Setting Off Fireworks

Fireworks for Memorial Day, a holiday to honor members of the military who died in service? No.

But we're expecting them for the Fourth of July.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

Fireworks for Memorial Day, a holiday to honor members of the military who died in service? No.

But we're expecting them for the Fourth of July.

its really sad that we have so much become a nation of 'party hardy' that so many do not know the meaning of our established holidays.  

Esteemed Contributor

Mine haven't started yet, thankfully. I feel for all of you who are ALREADY havign to put up with this. 

It drives me dogs crazy and some of the people here with more money than sense use those huge ones that I think are suppose to be used for professionals till all hours of the night. Some ppl, like my dh have to work.

Years ago, my dh use to work for someone who every year had a huge fireworks display. He was not a professional. I don't know what happened, but his two grandsons, who were young barely teenagers maybe, were in a trailer where the fire works were. Something happened and there was an explosion. Both of the boys died. 

People need to really be careful. We hear of folk getting hurt, but people can be killed. 

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they outlawed them except for professional fireworks shows where the audience had to be far enough away that if one went rogue no one would be hurt. 

Valued Contributor

That's a pretty strong reaction. To wish harm on others is morally offensive. If they bother you that much, go talk to the parents or owners of the home. Or, call the police. Many places have ordinances against private fireworks display. 

Just breathe and cool down.

Trusted Contributor

Whoa! Fireworks are not harmless fun. They are explosives. I enjoy public fireworks displays put on by professionals but the amateur stuff, especially the large rockets give me the willies. And when they go hand in hand with alcohol, as they usually do,  they are doubly alarming.

I've had a healthy respect for their power since I dated a young man with a glass eye who lost his real eye setting off a cherry bomb at a family party.

I live in a wooded area and when the rockets go off in my neighborhood I can hear the leaves in surrounding trees rustle. I do worry about fire because the exploding gun powder is close to my home and surrounding woods.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Relax. Take a deep breath and enjoy life. Compared to what we all have been through I'd say fireworks would be a very welcome distraction! Heart

Guess again... Not welcome... Not a distracton...  

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Same here!  Even the evening of Mother's Day.   We live on the border of the suburbs and the country and the houses aren't close together - Across the street is mostly woods.  Guess they figure they aren't bothering anybody, but I've read some complaints on our local online bulletin board.  Have to admit, they are pretty.   Just hope they don't accidentally damage anybody's property.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 

So sorry to hear this...and those firecrackers are a real problem for pets....

There are usually special ceremonies, but NO fireworks here for Memorial Day. Our peak firework times are 4th of July and New Year's Eve....There have been so many complaints, that our city  set up a special phone number and police task force to handle them all  (fireworks are illegal inside city limits).

Firecrackers | NOTB Fireworks

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

No fireworks near me. Only on July4th but not that many even then.  I wonder why people feel the need to do this?  Seems some people just enjoy making a nuisance of themselves.  People are going to be losing patience with their neighbors for this type of behavior.  I have already lost it with some of my neighbors for their rude obnoxious behavior.  They invite their family and friends over to scream at them from outside, several times a week.  It can be heard clearly with all my windows closed. I almost went outside and went ballistic on them yesterday. Then I decided to turn my tv up so loud I couldn't hear them anymore.  And I complained to the building super, who said he will have a word with them because he too was annoyed with them.  Some people are just born jerks with no care for their neighbors at all, like the world belongs to them and F everyone else attitude.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   I haven't read all the replies so this may have been answered already.

Are these types of fireworks legal in your area? 

Whether they are or not this is a fire hazard.  Your police should be notified.

Nobody is setting off anything around here;  New Year's Eve we get a few but nothing major.   It's also illegal for certain types anyway.

4th of July also had a few going off in the past but I think it was quiet last year.

Our community is very quiet.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh