Respected Contributor

Yes, definitely tip them! They are providing you a service, and a heavy one at that. $10.00 is a good tip for each mover. I would also ask them if they wanted a bottled water. Whenever we have had delivery people come to bring a new washer/dryer or furniture, I also give them some homemade blueberry muffins to snack on in the truck in addition to the tip. Not tipping delivery/movers would never enter my mind.

Super Contributor
I'd give them $5.00 each, and I'd also have a bottled water each and six big chocolate chip cookies for each of them, in ziplock baggies, waiting for them to take with them when they leave. But that's just me. To each their own.
Super Contributor

I would not tip - they are driving a very short distance (2 miles), and placing an item that is not really heavy inside a garage.  Also would not offer them a drink under these conditions.   They are getting paid by the moving company.

Honored Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

I would give them $10 each.

Tipping is something in which I can directly affect someone else's day.   I usually err on the side of over tipping because it will make someone's day a bit happier and I like doing that.

Me, too.  Right now I'm on vacation and I am makin' it rain all over town.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

$25 each.........

Respected Contributor

Unless these moving men are doing a personal favor, I find the suggestions for heavy tipping and feeding unwise, a perfect example why the practice is out of control.  This is a business agreement, and these are people hired and paid a salary by their employer to perform a service.  

@lynne6was7  If the moving men perform service over and above what you contracted for, tip them to reflect the degree of your appreciation.  If they merely do the job you have paid for, consider your debt satisfied and the transaction fulfilled.  In fact, if you do anything at all afterwards, it might be more beneficial to let their employer know of your satisfaction and the good quality of their work.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

$25 for a hat tree!?!?!

That seems like a lot. 

Respected Contributor

Owing to the fact that they're traveling 150 miles in the dead of winter, must transport this precious object up five flights on a circular staircase, and their white-glove delivery includes a complete chamois rubdown and a bonus vase of roses, I believe $100 each is only right. Plus two $50 gift certificates to Red Lobster.

Seriously, if you're going to tip for manual labor, anything less than $10 is in bag boy territory, IMO. Bottled water (although not PC) is fine, although a bit pointless with a brief haul and quick delivery. Food in zip-loc bags is appropriate for children, not grown men. It's always struck me as chintzy when someone wants to pass off homemade baked goods or a home-cooked meal as a surrogate for payment anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

@GusMo wrote:

$25 for a hat tree!?!?!

That seems like a lot. 

I know, ridiculous, right?

All for driving a hat tree two freaking miles, and putting it in her garage!

Jimminy Crickets! 

Why not just give them $100 each then, and take them out to dinner at a five star restaurant?

Sheesh!

Respected Contributor

I would tip them something like $5 each.