Respected Contributor

I would not tip.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your replies.  I had to hire an independent moving company, and I am paying an hourly fee for the move.  I will tip the movers.  I was thinking $10 each to help them buy lunch.  I think the aggregate of your responses support that.

Esteemed Contributor

I would give them $15.00 to $20.00 each...

Trusted Contributor

Re: How much would you tip?

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't tip because you're paying for this service, however, are you going to have them wait for you while you apply the tung oil which probably includes letting it dry?  

Honored Contributor

$10.00 ea, very heavy items I do $20.00 ea.  We have a nasty stairway to navigate. 

Honored Contributor

Re: How much would you tip?

[ Edited ]

total tip for moving your items AND picking up the other item at the antique store......not less than $20 each and something to drink.....water or soda or iced tea.

if they are not moving items into your home and just picking up the item at the antique store, then $5 to $10 each......and a drink.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

They will not have to wait.  They can pull the truck into the driveway, or park on the street and walk it up my level, short driveway to my garage.  No stairs to navigate.  I will work on cleaning it up and applying the tung oil this weekend, and then a friend and I can easily carry it into my foyer.  When I've moved  my full household in the past, I have tipped the movers much more, but this is a fairly small, quick job.

Honored Contributor

If you are paying a mover to move a hall tree from a loading dock at point A to your garage at point B, and they are traveling two miles, I think $5 per person is sufficiant.  That's an easy peasy job; they're not even bringing the thing into the house!

Honored Contributor

I guess tip what it's worth to you! 😊

$10 a mover sounds about right to me. 

Honored Contributor

For something as simple as that, that they are being paid to do, I wouldn't tip them anything.