Respected Contributor

Re: How do you Deal with Rejection?

[ Edited ]

JBKO, Rejection makes me angry.  Time softens and then cures the anger. 

Counting to 10 doesn't help--the process takes longer than that. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I think it goes back to your self confidence thread. A person with self confidence or high self esteem and maturity will also realize that not everything will always go their way. They will learn from the experience but won't internalize or personalize it.  One of the hardest lessons to learn is that not everyone is going to like or agree with you and that's ok. Sometimes you just have to pull up your big girl panties and move on.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

First of all I stop feeling sorry for myself. And say its his/her loss.

Esteemed Contributor

We all want to be loved so it’s only natural that rejection will hurt.  I’m currently going through it and in addition to asking myself “why”, I try to turn it around.  I ask myself what I can learn from it – be it to be more compassionate to others because I’ve learned how rejection feels, etc.  I used to have a very bad boss.  One of the employees couldn’t take him anymore and quit.  He said the only thing he ever learned from him was how not to treat people.  The good and bad will come into our lives and each one will teach us something.  Sorry you and your family have to feel this. 

Honored Contributor

I guess in some way I'm a glass-half-full kind of person.

Rejection is painful, but I try to find the silver lining.

I don't think you can live in the world without your share of rejection and yes it does sting.    Re-group & move on.    I know, easy to say.

I'm a competitive person, if I really want something that I truly believe is good for me, I'll find a way to work around an initial rejection.   

@JBKO wrote:
No this has nothing to do with a guy. I just ask in general. And most of my family has had to deal with rejection that you couldn't imagine. If you told me 15 years ago that we would be dealing with some of the issues we've encountered, I would have never believed you. Thanks for your kind words.😊

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depends on who is doing the rejecting.  I'll put it this way.  If it's someone who dislikes me anyway, I couldn't care less.

On the other hand, I have a child who has rejected me and that is devastating.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I try to see it as just a sort of chemistry, no right, no wrong.  We all have our own karmas and that can include biases.  No real cure.

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:
No this has nothing to do with a guy. I just ask in general. And most of my family has had to deal with rejection that you couldn't imagine. If you told me 15 years ago that we would be dealing with some of the issues we've encountered, I would have never believed you. Thanks for your kind words.😊

You're how old now?  You strike me as very young.  15 years ago you were probably not aware of the many ways in which people encounter rejection in their lives.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

as just another part of life

@hckynut

Good to see you John!!  I hope you're feeling much better.  ~Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Very poorly!