Valued Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How big can a NYC rat get?

If you have a couple of cats, they won't get that big!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

I had a good friend whose husband used to work for the Buffalo Sewer Authority, the stories he would tell me. We have a Cheerios factory right by the water where the ships used to bring in the grain through Lake Erie. He told me those rats around that area could get up to 10-13 lbs. They used to have the guys put industrial rubber bands around their pant legs when they would unload the boats and guys used to shoot BB guns at them to kill them they were such a nuisance. 

One night we were driving home from dinner down town and drove right past there. The guy I was with pointed at about 6 HUGE rats. They were larger than my cat. 

It still grosses me out when I think about it. Ewww!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Ugh..my well fed, adult male cat weighs just over 11 pounds.  I can't picture a rodent that weighs more than him!

Valued Contributor

@september wrote:

Ugh..my well fed, adult male cat weighs just over 11 pounds.  I can't picture a rodent that weighs more than him!

me neither.

Honored Contributor

That is SO gross I won't even go there!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deb1010yetagain  Saddly the one in the photo is about half the size of the local "field" rats, I use quote because I'm in a small mountain "downtown" with no fields around me for miles. Their bodies are way bigger than a squirrel, tail longer than the body.  Then with all the rivers, streams, lakes, and ponds around you have coypu / nutria / river rats, which look like a beaver with a long rat / opposum tail. They can be huge, think over fed older housecat.

Want to know something interesting?

Spoiler
People eat them! Low cholesterol, too! It's also used in dog food.

Smiley Very Happy 

Trusted Contributor

In Japan, around 1952-53, they were as large as full-grown house cats, and at night their eyes were red looking....shiver!

Honored Contributor

Well, I didn't know that! Ick.

Valued Contributor

@Ane1Care, thanks for the reply.  I could've done without the spoiler, LOL!!