Respected Contributor

Re: How big can a NYC rat get?

Rats thrive in large downtown areas throughout the country.  If you travel the streets at night, you have a good chance at seeing one.  Perfect environment for them.  The worst part about these critters is the damage they can do on car wires under the hood.  Yuck. 

Esteemed Contributor

Really Big!!!

Honored Contributor

Why did I click on that link whenI'm sitting here eating a pear? UGH!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I read that a sewer rat can get as large as 2 lbs.  There is no way a rat would be 10-13 lbs.  Simply not true.  

Esteemed Contributor

When I lived in S.Korea in the late 70s I personally saw several huge rats in my Quonset but.  My friend told me an experience she had that I'll never forget.  She was inspecting the kitchen of the Service Club she operated when she opened the cabinet door under the kitchen sink to be greeted by a very docile huge rat that just sat there:  the cook had been feeding it table scraps (he was planning to sell it at the local market(not as a pet!).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sophiamarie wrote:

I read that a sewer rat can get as large as 2 lbs.  There is no way a rat would be 10-13 lbs.  Simply not true.  

Sure they can. Rats that live in areas like I mentioned near the water absolutely can get that big. I didn't have a scale with me but I saw it for myself and it was around the size of my cat that I had at the time and she was about 12 lbs. He definitely was at least 9 - 11 lbs. The rats near the Cheerio factory had a constant supply of food. 

Here is an article with a pest control man saying he has seen them weighing as much as 2 bags of sugar which is 5 lbs each.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2594114/Rats-big-CATS-prowl-streets-pest-control-officers-ca...

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/104259/20151108/how-big-can-giant-rats-grow-scientist-says-they-ca...

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

16_3_169.gif

Sung to Michael Jackson's song:

"Ben, your always going to and fro "........................................

can't remember the rest of it. LOL

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Don't forget some people have Rats for pets ! Smiley LOL

Oh my gosh I mentioned the fact that we do once and you should have seen the nasty replies I got. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a stretch to  say that 5 lbs. is the same as 10-13 lbs.  I guess if you google enough, you might find a rat somewhere who weighs 20 lbs. but not anywhere near our cities.

Esteemed Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

I think it's a stretch to  say that 5 lbs. is the same as 10-13 lbs.  I guess if you google enough, you might find a rat somewhere who weighs 20 lbs. but not anywhere near our cities.

I said 2 5lbs bags of sugar. That equals 10lbs. I don't have to google. I have seen them myself, you were the one that doubted a rat could get that big. They absolutely can. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK