Honored Contributor

Today's random question- wedding pictures

[ Edited ]

For those who have them, when was the last time you looked at your wedding pictures?

I've been married just under 25 years. We got married at home. Only 52 guests, cookout afterwards and traditional wedding cake. Perfect wedding. A friend of ours brought his camera and took some pictures that came out really well. 

Yesterday, I was going through the one Rubbermaid bin in the basement that belongs to me. I wanted to go through it and clean it out. It held yearbooks and a few other things and some miscellaneous pictures. A picked up a photo album and I thought "I wonder what's in here" and it was our wedding pictures-LOL. 

I actually thought our pictures were were in our safe deposit box, but it must be the negatives that are in there. Anyway, I took them out of the album, flipped through them and threw some out. I got rid of the album as it smelled musty. I'm going to put the remaining pictures in the safe deposit box. 

How often do you look at yours?  Especially those of you who had the big weddings with the professional photographer and gazillions of pictures. Do you look at them often through the years?

I'm glad we didn't dedicate money to a professional photographer since I didn't even know the pictures were in that bin!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Today's random question- wedding pictures

No large affair for my second and only marriage - my real marriage. 

The one or two pictures were actually quite nice and rather timeless.  However, I look at the photo of the two of us and see two complete strangers.  We are older, and hopefully more expereinced in life.  We are not the two young folks in the picture - they no longer exist.  We have 34 years in April and time flew by on us.  Wouldn't have had it any other way nor with any other mate to go through life with.  It's been a good journey and we both aren't complaining. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I have a double frame on the mantle with a photo from our wedding on one side and a photo we had done at the time of our 30th anniversary. So I look at that all the time. I also have my parents wedding picture and a picture of them done at the time of their 40th anniverasary.  

Honored Contributor

Ours were taken by family too. We don't look at what we have. We're both retired so going on 50 yrs. this year, that's plenty.

Honored Contributor

I have a few framed pictures from our wedding and they've been out and displayed for years so I see them daily obviously, but to go through the entire album???  Yesterday was the first time since I put them in the album years ago. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

We will celebrate our 29th anniversary in June. We had a professional photographer and the pictures were beautiful. I rarely look at the pictures because they're buried in a cabinet and I find them to be a little depressing -- as someone else said it's like they're of two different people.

Respected Contributor

Funny how things change over time.  33 years ago, our wedding was a "big" wedding.  Church wedding less than 100 people.  The choir sang, the reception was in the rose garden of our church and in the church all.  Buffet, cake (my godmother made the cake) and punch.  Today a wedding like that would be a very small affair...lol    I had two uncles who photography enthusiasts and they took the pictures.  We had two big albums and after the first couple of years, I never looked at them.  My girls went through a period when they were small when they would drag the albums out and look at them and they out grew that.  So, the wedding albums "lived" on the top shelf of our closet until my daughter got married 3 summers ago.  I started looking at it as I planned her wedding.  Shortly after that, my two girls surprised hubby and me by putting the pictures on  discs for us.  It was a lovely idea.  I know where the albums are, I'm not sure where the discs are.  I'm pretty sure hubby put them somewhere safe.  So, now my older daughter and her guy are planning a comittment ceremony and reception and we're all thinking about weddings again.  Her ceremony will be closer to mine than her sister's was.  That was not "big" in terms of guests.  There were only 80 but it was "big" in every other way.  Sit down dinner, open bar, band yada yada yada.  At some point, someone will get nostalgic and look at our wedding pictures.  

Esteemed Contributor

Small-ish wedding in a church fellowship hall...no professional photographer.  I have a few of the pics in frames around the house.  I enjoy looking through all my photos now and then...lots of memories...mostly good, but some bittersweet.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Trusted Contributor

Our wedding album is in the top of my closet.  I pull it out, and look at it about once a year.

We've recently found some "long lost" family members, and they were interested in seeing it.  There are lots of pictures of other long deceased relatives, that they vaguely remembered from their childhood.  So, everyone has been excited to go through it.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

We had a fairly large church wedding in 1973.  I had a formal portrait done after my final fitting.  Our wedding album is beautiful.  I look through it every anniversary. 

At both our daughter's and son's weddings, there was a table near the guest book where they displayed wedding pictures of the parents and grandparents.