Honored Contributor

Re: How big can a NYC rat get?

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've travelled to some countries where there were these VERY rat-like animals that were quite large - like the size of a large cat or more.   They just aren't called rats, but then they speak different languages in different countries.

The bottom line was that they totally looked like rats - giant ones!  Smiley Happy

You could be referring to Nutria, they have them in Louisiana also ( non native species) and they are causing a lot of problems.

I watched program about that a couple of months ago and how invasive they are down there. They have authorities out at night shooting them because they reproduce so fast they really damage the eco system. 

Yes, there is actually a bounty on them and it's open season. You can take them at any time. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Irshgrl31201 wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Irshgrl31201 wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

I've travelled to some countries where there were these VERY rat-like animals that were quite large - like the size of a large cat or more.   They just aren't called rats, but then they speak different languages in different countries.

The bottom line was that they totally looked like rats - giant ones!  Smiley Happy

This reminds me of a fair I went to once. They said they had the biggest rat in the world and for $1 you could see it. It was a nutria and they are huge. 

Was s/he cute?  Smiley Happy  hehe - I know I'm a freak, but I love all animals.  Well, that excludes the bug kingdom for the most part and the bees of which I am terrified.  

That little one with the tiny teddy bear that somebody posted yesterday - oh my goodness!  Every time I looked at him/her I cried.  Cutest baby ever!

My dive friends used to laugh at me because they would see a bee come into my radar and I'd practically go into shock (I actually have gone into shock when a bee landed on my leg!), yet diving with sharks was my favorite thing.   So beautiful.  I wanted to hug them all but the dive master wouldn't let me.  Smiley Happy   Happy, happy times!

You scuba dive? Me too! I love it! It is so relaxing. I have only diven around sharks twice but I wasn't scared at all and that surprised me. Of course it wasn't with sharks that are known for attacking but still. They could have done some damage. I haven't gone in over a year and a half though. I need to do it again. 

Yes, I thought the nutria was cute. It did look like a giant rat. I am guessing he weighed about 50 lbs or more. He was big. 

Well, I used to.  It was the BEST 10-12 years of my life.   I miss it so much.  My dream destination was Palau.  There I probably had some of my first swimming with sharks experiences, plus the Napoleon Wrasse, which was another dream of mine.  So ginormous and cute!  (well, cute to me!)  I got to hug one.  Nobody in the world looks like them!

I did a lot of swimming with sharks at various parts of the Caribbean also, as well as the Figi Islands.    Lots of barracudas, too.  On one dive somewhere in the Caribbean, I had this beautiful big barracuda who swam right alongside of me for the entire dive.   I think I must have had something sparkly hanging off my BC or something.   cute!  I love fishies and all the water animals so much.  But the sharks have my heart.

Scuba diving was absolutely the best thing I ever took up and I miss it more than anything else.  Being under water is the most peaceful and beautiful experience.   Boy, do I have some stories!  Smiley Happy   

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

This reminds me of a fair I went to once. They said they had the biggest rat in the world and for $1 you could see it. It was a nutria and they are huge. 

Was s/he cute?  Smiley Happy  hehe - I know I'm a freak, but I love all animals.  Well, that excludes the bug kingdom for the most part and the bees of which I am terrified.  

That little one with the tiny teddy bear that somebody posted yesterday - oh my goodness!  Every time I looked at him/her I cried.  Cutest baby ever!

My dive friends used to laugh at me because they would see a bee come into my radar and I'd practically go into shock (I actually have gone into shock when a bee landed on my leg!), yet diving with sharks was my favorite thing.   So beautiful.  I wanted to hug them all but the dive master wouldn't let me.  Smiley Happy   Happy, happy times!

You scuba dive? Me too! I love it! It is so relaxing. I have only diven around sharks twice but I wasn't scared at all and that surprised me. Of course it wasn't with sharks that are known for attacking but still. They could have done some damage. I haven't gone in over a year and a half though. I need to do it again. 

Yes, I thought the nutria was cute. It did look like a giant rat. I am guessing he weighed about 50 lbs or more. He was big. 

Well, I used to.  It was the BEST 10-12 years of my life.   I miss it so much.  My dream destination was Palau.  There I probably had some of my first swimming with sharks experiences, plus the Napoleon Wrasse, which was another dream of mine.  So ginormous and cute!  (well, cute to me!)  I got to hug one.  Nobody in the world looks like them!

I did a lot of swimming with sharks at various parts of the Caribbean also, as well as the Figi Islands.    Lots of barracudas, too.  On one dive somewhere in the Caribbean, I had this beautiful big barracuda who swam right alongside of me for the entire dive.   I think I must have had something sparkly hanging off my BC or something.   cute!  I love fishies and all the water animals so much.  But the sharks have my heart.

Scuba diving was absolutely the best thing I ever took up and I miss it more than anything else.  Being under water is the most peaceful and beautiful experience.   Boy, do I have some stories!  Smiley Happy   

Oh, I am so jealous! I have never dove in the Carribean and I would love to. I really wasn't interested in doing it at first but my BF, now husband persuaded me to. Wow, I think I ended up loving it more than he did. At the time we lived in Buffalo so we dove a lot of old ship wrecks in Lake Erie which I found so interesting. 

I feel the same way. It is so peaceful. Really relaxing. May I ask why you stopped? If you don't want to answer I understand. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I can certainly understand how some people are turned off by rats but if you ever had them as pets you would see it completely different.  

Domestic rats are not dirty.  They are very sweet and just as domesticated as a family dog.   They are as far removed from a wild rat, as a dog is from a wolf.  

I am very partial to rats as I've owned them for over 20 years.  

I respect someone whose opinion of rats are different than mine.  But I just had to jump in here and give a rat lover's view of the wonderful world of rat ownership.

Please don't view our pet rats in the same category as the rats who live in our cities sewers.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Greetings from Phoenix where I just spent $2,000 to repair my car after pack rats got in my garage.  Who knew they live to get under the hood and love to eat wires?  And then there's the additional $500 to have the pest control people set traps for 2 months.  It's month 3 and we have had no more sightings and I'm finally using my garage  again.   

Honored Contributor

And then there is'pizza rat'!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼