Regular Contributor

Re: How are you with small talk?

Not much of a chit chatter.

Esteemed Contributor

Answer to this threads title? I am pretty good with "small talk" When I went from being an obese shy/introverted youngster in high school, to a normal high school dropout and joined the US Army!

I became an outgoing extrovert when it came to "always wanting to be unseen/unheard. For some reason I found myself being a leader instead of a follower. Why or how? I haven't a clue.

Over many years of almost daily hours sitting in hospital and doctors waiting rooms. People that didn't have their face in a screen/book or newspaper. I figured, why just sit there, might as well see what's up with some of those waiting.

If it is someone that is talking about a topic I have never heard, I try to weave my way into a topic most older adults can carry on a conversation. Made several good friends(patients) over the years.

I can sling the bull with the best of them. 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I think small talk with cashiers, bank tellers, people shopping, etc. is completely different than going to a room full of people for an event/meeting and chatting with people you don't know.  I can talk to the first group all day long, but I would rather crawl into a hole than deal with the second.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn I'm a lot like you.  I wasn't raised around a lot of people, and always around adults, and I can make conversation with anyone, anytime, and about anything.  And I can make people feel comfortable and laugh.

Good because my job demanded it.  I also had to take lots of photos and was well know for my "people" shots.  People felt comfortable with me and I listened to them and would pay attention, and their personalities shined through I think. 

Honored Contributor

I love good conversation whether small talk or group conversations. When  I worked I had to learn how to interview and ask questions to draw out issues affecting people. I still love to engage in talk with others ,  I also am a great listener.

Trusted Contributor

I am absolutely horrible.  I like to get to the point and not add anything else.  Some may consider me rude but I am an introvert and very guarded.

Respected Contributor

Not good at it at all before I read this tip in a book about Jackie O. She said that when stuck when trying to make "small talk" try  "So what's the nicest thing that happened to you today?". A great way to start a conversation.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not good with small talk, never was!  I think people who do well with it just enjoy talking.   They also make friends very easy because of it.   I had a friend who could talk to a box if it was put next to her on a park bench!!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Awful .....