Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Use Your Cell?

I don't use mine very much.   It's not an anti-technology thing or anything.  I do enjoy technology - to a point.  For me, it's more that I'm a person who actually revels in NOT being connected all the time.   I don't begrudge it others, of course, but I like being connected to be on my terms and I'm a bit of a loner at this point in my life.

Furthermore, I don't do the one-finger typing thing.   That's much harder on my arthritic fingers than just regular keyboard typing.  I also don't want to watch things on a tiny screen.  I'm already blind as a bat and much prefer watching things on tv or, like youtube videos on one of my 15" laptops.

I am only online when I have one of the laptops on.  I've had a cell phone for about 23 years now and that's good.  I probably used it more when I was younger, but never all that much.  Although I have the same number since 1994, I don't give it out anymore.  I probably have it turned on from about 10am to when my husband gets home and then I turn it off.    That's when I actually remember to turn it on.   Often I don't.

I do pay bills online, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so on the phone, for security reasons.  I actually cut the internet on my phone a few years ago and also block texting, since I don't text.  The reason wasn't that I was anti-texting or anything.  It was because I started getting spam texts.  Well, that was maddening!  So, I just blocked all texting.   I am available by email and the landline for those in my circle, and by my cell phone for my husband (and when my father calls that number instead of my house phone *sigh*).  I have a very small plan now.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Rarely if ever. I have one for emergencies and my friends call me on our landline. The major reason I have never adjusted to getting an I phone is because I cannot see it without needing my glasses for close up. I think when I was younger I would have enjoyed one but now my eyesight is too poor to see the print....

@Trinity11

they make cell phones in many different sizes now......it is also very easy to change the font size for easier reading. every year they are "new and improved."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

I use my cell phone just as you. Comes in good if car breaks down for immediately help.
Great if my grandchildren need emergency contact. 69 years old here and I embrace new technology. I'll never quit learning and progressing. I use a stylist to type on my cell phone and I'm using cell phone right now to type. I can easily make more spelling mistakes, but that's ok with me 😃
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Rarely if ever. I have one for emergencies and my friends call me on our landline. The major reason I have never adjusted to getting an I phone is because I cannot see it without needing my glasses for close up. I think when I was younger I would have enjoyed one but now my eyesight is too poor to see the print....

@Trinity11

they make cell phones in many different sizes now......it is also very easy to change the font size for easier reading. every year they are "new and improved."

Plus, a single finger motion enlarges text, photo, any part of a web page. There are even accommodations in iPhone software for those nearly, or legally blind.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

you know what they say about smartphones......

once you go smart, you are never apart! LOL

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/mobile-phone-emoji-emoticon-smiley-face-character-talking-happily-cell-60365046.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

How much do you use your cell?  Just for calls?  To buy things?  Does it take the place of a computer?  Tablet? Calculator?  

I only take my cell phone with me when I'm driving out of town (for emergencies).  Other than that I do not use it at all...    It's really a waste of money for me....  I bought a Tracphone to see if I'd like a smart phone, but don't use it either... 

Esteemed Contributor

I use my cell in the house for snapchat and instagram because then its under our wifi. (I am home most days). Otherwise I only carry it for emergencies or if I have to call someone once in a blue moon while we are out. I do not use it when eating out, shopping, at movies waiting at Dr offices etc.because I think its rude to do so! I don't drive much anymore but If I did, I would not use it while driving. I cant tell you how many people I see on cells while driving when we are and about. People who are swerving on the road, its ridiculous IMO. PS Since I'm home a lot, I prefer my big 17 inch laptop to surf the net and so do my eyes prefer my laptop. (the bigger the better for me lol)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

My flip phone is my only phone,no landline.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

Rarely - I control it; it doesn't control me.

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45@ECBG

We still have our landline, but we switched from flip phones to smart phones about four years ago.  Both of our sons, urged us to do so, and we both love these phones.

We bought our phones at the Apple Store, and we signed up for a free class

to orient new smart phone users.

It was funny:  when we arrived, it was all the senior citizen crowd. Ha!

The instructor was a young woman of about twenty, and she had a hard time

slowing down. 

We learned enough to get started, and then with time we got better and better.

I am not in any way using ALL the capabilities the phone as to offer, but a lot.

When we get together with sons and their wives, we learn a little more.

@sunshine45I totally agree with you.  And how handy to have your teenagers around to help!  Our ten year old granddaughter is the same way!

She wanted to watch a Laurel and Hardy clip on my phone, and said,

"Grandma, you don't  have a YouTube app on your phone?!"