Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Use Your Cell?

@susan in California wrote:

@sunshine45@ECBG

We still have our landline, but we switched from flip phones to smart phones about four years ago.  Both of our sons, urged us to do so, and we both love these phones.

We bought our phones at the Apple Store, and we signed up for a free class

to orient new smart phone users.

It was funny:  when we arrived, it was all the senior citizen crowd. Ha!

The instructor was a young woman of about twenty, and she had a hard time

slowing down. 

We learned enough to get started, and then with time we got better and better.

I am not in any way using ALL the capabilities the phone as to offer, but a lot.

When we get together with sons and their wives, we learn a little more.

@sunshine45I totally agree with you.  And how handy to have your teenagers around to help!  Our ten year old granddaughter is the same way!

She wanted to watch a Laurel and Hardy clip on my phone, and said,

"Grandma, you don't  have a YouTube app on your phone?!"

@Susan in CaliforniaI've dug my heels and resisted!  I know one day, but....I'm rarely out since a horrible person made me quit my position!  Looking.....

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I use my cell in the house for snapchat and instagram because then its under our wifi. (I am home most days). Otherwise I only carry it for emergencies or if I have to call someone once in a blue moon while we are out. I do not use it when eating out, shopping, at movies waiting at Dr offices etc.because I think its rude to do so! I don't drive much anymore but If I did, I would not use it while driving. I cant tell you how many people I see on cells while driving when we are and about. People who are swerving on the road, its ridiculous IMO. PS Since I'm home a lot, I prefer my big 17 inch laptop to surf the net and so do my eyes prefer my laptop. (the bigger the better for me lol)

@Shorty2U, I'm just curious, and a bit puzzled.  If you feel it would be rude to look at your phone in the doctor's office, wouldn't it also be rude to read a magazine, a book, or a Kindle? People don't use their phones to CALL someone all the time - they may quietly sit and text, read or check email. Since they're sitting quietly, minding their own business, who are they being rude to?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I can go weeks without using my cell phone.  I have it for emergencies.  Although I barely use it, I get in a little panic if I forget to carry it with me.  It's an inexpensive tracphone.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Hardly ever.  I do have to text my hair stylist though because she refuses to use email or answer her phone.  That's pretty much it.  I don't have a smartphone, don't want one, don't need one.  I pre-pay $100 every year for my phone for the minutes, and usually have $90 left when it's time to get more.  It's stinky I can't keep the minutes, but it's better than paying a ton of money like a lot of people do.

Honored Contributor

OHMYGOSH..... I use it ALL the time!  I have an Iphone (and have since they came out with the 3)....check the weather, the news, Google stuff I need answers for...., my personal lists for shopping, buy on QVC and most of all, I have the Ebay app that allows me to know instantly when I have a sale or question regarding a product I have.  I can reply to the question right then and there.  I really don't do music or videos....

Oh I also have a Great Clips app that I can see how long the wait would be to go get a haircut and be able to "sign in" prior to arriving.  The app associated with Great Clips is the paramount reason I even go to this salon.  Great feature.

Oh yeah, I also phone and message people...  

DH and I both have Iphone 6+ and have lived here six years and never bothered to get a land line...   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Totally forgot to mention pictures!  I use my phone to take photos for my eBay sales.  The pictures on the 6+ are that good!  Plus I have a clip I can put on the lens in order to get close up or micro shots of hallmarks, etc.  Easy to do and then download to my PC

There's also a fitness app that I use, tracks steps, stairs, etc. and you can use it to keep track of food, etc.

I absolutely love this technolody, can't praise it enough.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I have a laptop, tablet, iPhone and two Kindles.  I use them all just about every day.  

There's always something on the charger!  

Respected Contributor

My phone is hardly ever used.  Other than when it's getting charged, it's almost always in my purse turned off.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use mine for making calls, texting, emails, taking and sending pictures, alarm clock and calculator.

Occassionally I do use Google.

Honored Contributor

@spud188@I don't own a cell either.I had one for about a year and found that I never used it.I always had it turned off or it needed charging.I wasn't used to the constant charging routine at that time so I found it too much trouble.I keep saying that I will get one but still haven't....guess I probably won't until the landline goes away.