Honored Contributor

Confusingly, different countries and traditions seem to have different ideas of when 12th night falls, but one of the sturdiest traditions is that it is January 6, or "Three Kings Day".

In Britain of old, this was the last day of Christmas, as Samuel Pepys, the celebrated 17th century diarist, believed, according to a fun little BBC article.  He wrote about it as a time for celebration and feasts.  It was also the time for putting away decorations.

My mother always insisted on keeping decorations up till 12th night.  I used to as well, but in the last few years, I've wanted to take them down at New Years' or even slightly before.  "Clear the decks" and all that.  But I like the tradition.

At least we're keeping our outside Christmas lights glowing until tomorrow morning, then we'll douse them until next year.  That's my contribution to Twelfth Night...

Happy Epiphany!   

Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Epiphany (January 6)

This is the visit of the magi. In Spain, and other parts of the world, this is the night  for gift giving. The magi bring  children gifts , instead of Santa Claus.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I suppose I should take our tree down this weekend.  I enjoy the Christmas lights but another season has ended and I need to put things away.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the reminder.  I removed most indoor decorations this week, but left lights up indoor and out.  For the lights, I wanted to wait until after the 12th Day.

Honored Contributor

This is also a Polish  custom

In Austria, at Epiphany, some people write a special sign in chalk over their front door. It's a reminder of the Wise Men that visited the baby Jesus. It's made from the year split in two with initials of the names that are sometimes given to 'the three wise men', Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar, in the middle. So 2014 would be: 20*C*M*B*14. The sign is meant to protect the house for the coming year. Some parts of Germany also have the tradition of marking over doors.

Honored Contributor

So nice to have others with whom to celebrate!  I am Greek Orthodox and grew up celebrating Epiphany or, as we term it, the Feast of the Holy Theophany.  Below is an explanation.  My lights -- inside and out -- are always up until January 7.

Feast of the Holy Theophany of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ

January 6

INTRODUCTION

The Feast of the Holy Theophany (Epiphany) of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ is celebrated each year on January 6. The Feast commemorates the Baptism of Christ and the divine revelation of the Holy Trinity. At the Baptism of Christ, all three Persons of the Holy Trinity—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—were made manifest. Thus, the name of the Feast is Epiphany, meaning manifestation, or Theophany, meaning manifestation of God.

Honored Contributor

http://i01.hsncdn.com/orig/DG25105_010617_Banner_SE_ThreeKingsDay.gif?v=25

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

It would have been my mother's 83rd birthday today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

She had a blessed day for a birthday, croemer.   May her soul rest in peace.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

She had a blessed day for a birthday, croemer.   May her soul rest in peace.

TY Goldie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**