Respected Contributor

Re: Happy Epiphany (January 6)

I would love to keep my decorations up a bit longer, but I have to begin purging, cleaning and organizing, and that is not possible with Christmas unpacked, etc.  So today is a sad day as I slowly and lovingly pull items and pack them for another year. 

On a side note, I noticed when packing a lovely ornament that had a large dark flat surface on it that ornaments hanging on the tree collect dust!  Before packing, I started dusting ornaments.  I sure hope that as part of my legacy my family remembers how I cherished each ornament in hopes that it would mean something to them in the future. 

So glad to hear that many of you enjoy these days to Epiphany and beyond.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell - Thank you for the information!

I follow my mother's (and grandmother's) traditions - no decorations up until Thanksgiving Day, and nothing down until January 6. We usually have a special remembrance time in our family, but since it's Friday night, we're all scattered. 

I was upset that Sirius didn't leave their holiday stations up until New Year's Day at least. I guess they start playing the music earlier and earlier each year and it goes away the day after Christmas. 

This season seemed rushed to me. I like to take a few evenings and just appreciate the tree and the lights, but it was a busy time. I did look at it tonight for a while to try to take it all in. Most of our neighbors still have their outside lights on. Our window candles, wreath, and front porch trees will stay up until the middle of February. 

One year a long time ago, Yankee candle made a "Twelve Days of Christmas" votive set. I gave it to my mom. She lit the first one Christmas night, and one every day until the 6th. I wish they'd do something like that again! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My maternal grandparents were from Italy and it was La Bifana who came on 12th night.  The back story is that the wise men stopped at La Bifina's (who was said to be a witch who rode a broom) on their way to find the child king and she refused to come out and help them. She regretted that decision so she got a basket of goodies and went to find them but never did so she left the goodies with young children she met along the way hoping one was "the baby".    She did this every year after and brought sweet treets to the good and coal to the bad and as my grandmother would tell it she switched the bad children with her broom also.  My grandmother always had a broom in the corner before Christmas as a reminder to us to be extra good!!!  We would get a stocking with Torrone and fruit from La Bifana.   

Honored Contributor

I so enjoyed hearing all your thoughts, and your various traditions and practices at this meaningful time of year--  thanks!

Respected Contributor

In Louisiana-I was born in New Orleans and grew up there-the Feast of the Epiphany is celebrated in grand style....the Twelfth Night Revelers officially launched the social and Mardi Gras Season with a very formal Ball....King Cake can now be found in groceries and bakeries all over and will be there until Ash Wednesday.

Oznell, is there any special pastry like King Cake in the UK?

I am rusty on my French, but the saying is "Let the good times roll!"

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Image result for epiphany images

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2  This is served in France and England

On Sunday, in thousands of French homes – and hundreds of English ones – a flaky cake known as a galette des rois (kings’ tart) will be served. Tradition has it that if you find a tiny figure in your slice, you are king or queen for the night, and you’re given a golden crown.

Galette Des Rois
Galette Des Rois
Honored Contributor

: )

This weekend the decorations will come down; I always wait till the day after the Epiphany to start.

Honored Contributor

Poodlepet2, I was only vaguely aware of the cake tradition in Europe; trust our cherry to have the fascinating low-down!

It's neat that you are from New Orleans.  For some years I worked on Canal Street (not downtown, way out the other way) and it was such fun to go with co-workers to a local corner store and get King Cake.  I hunted and hunted for the "baby" but am not sure I ever got it.

My other favorite N.O. traditions were trout meuniere and Delmonico "fluff" at Delmonico's, and listening to jazz pianist "Tuts" Washington at the Pontchartrain...

Honored Contributor

meallen616, I have been noticing your graphics that you have put up in various threads;  they are beautiful.