Respected Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Restrict Starch In Your Diet?

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@ECBG

One of the reasons why I work out.  So I can eat carbs Smiley Happy

I love pasta, bread, cereal, potatoes and rice.  And I will never give them up.  But - I do monitor my carbs.  I measure my food to meet my nutritional macros daily.  I could never lift heavy weights if I didn't eat carbs.   I also run and do cardio.  If I didn't eat carbs, I wouldn't have the endurance to do my workouts.

Same here. I wouldn't have any energy to run if I restricted my carb intake. My body craves it.

I trust my body to tell me what it needs. If I've had too many carbs, I naturally crave protein and roughage.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

I follow a whole food plant based diet, with occasional vegan treats. I don't limit my carbs at all.

@Caligurll

@phoenixbrd

You two have the sweetest outlook for all living beings.

Would love to hear of your journey to this compassionate, healthy WOE.

Me:

I read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair waaaay back in high school. 

I grew up on a farm in the middle of cow country...didn't give up animal products after that but....it planted a seed.  'Diet for a New America' by John Robbins came in the late 80's & which Dr. McDougall was highly recommended.  Whole Foods recommended these authors/doctors, as well.  Dr. Dean Ornish was based here in Dallas...another influence...then the FOK w/ Rip Esselstyn in Austin.

I always say eating plant-based has 5 avenues;

1. Health (weight loss, energy, sleep)

2. Medical (heart disease, diabetes, other modern day illnesses)

3. Environmental (costs less/feeds more to grow plants than animals)

4. Financial (veg/fruit/greens/starches/legumes are the cheapest, and most readily available source of calories)

5. Ethical (warm, compassion beings are all warm, compassionate beings)

The longest, most active, living humans are in The Blue Zones which are diets heavy in starches, fruit, veg & legumes.  Clean, lean, cheap food!

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

I follow a whole food plant based diet, with occasional vegan treats. I don't limit my carbs at all.

@Caligurll

@phoenixbrd

You two have the sweetest outlook for all living beings.

Would love to hear of your journey to this compassionate, healthy WOE.

Me:

I read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair waaaay back in high school. 

I grew up on a farm in the middle of cow country...didn't give up animal products after that but....it planted a seed.  'Diet for a New America' by John Robbins came in the late 80's & which Dr. McDougall was highly recommended.  Whole Foods recommended these authors/doctors, as well.  Dr. Dean Ornish was based here in Dallas...another influence...then the FOK w/ Rip Esselstyn in Austin.

I always say eating plant-based has 5 avenues;

1. Health (weight loss, energy, sleep)

2. Medical (heart disease, diabetes, other modern day illnesses)

3. Environmental (costs less/feeds more to grow plants than animals)

4. Financial (veg/fruit/greens/starches/legumes are the cheapest, and most readily available source of calories)

5. Ethical (warm, compassion beings are all warm, compassionate beings)

The longest, most active, living humans are in The Blue Zones which are diets heavy in starches, fruit, veg & legumes.  Clean, lean, cheap food!

@sidsmom I'm heading out to run errands, but will share my journey to WFPB later. I do sharfe your fve points too. I think it is interesting that there is only one Blue Zone in the US, in Loma Linda, CA, where there is a large population of Seventh Day Adventists, who promote a vegetarian lifestyle.

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I eat what I want....which happens to be what is healthy for my body.  The longer you eat nourishing whole plant based foods, the more you crave them.  Unfortunately, I've read similar posts whenever the subject of diet arises.  I love my life; and the fuel for my body allows me to be strong, healthy, kind, and compassionate.  I so respect SIDS.  She has done her homework and changed her life.  I respect those who have differing opinions as they feel they are doing what is best for themselves and their loved ones.  The book is that medical MDs receive little nutritional training in medical school.  The field of medicine and health change as we learn more.  A person can "prove" whatever they want with data.  Someone's paradigm can always be evidence based.  I usually choose not to involve myself in these discussions as I don't think it will influence anyone.  I wish everyone much health and the ability to respect differences of opinions.  I could write books on the subject, but an open, inquiring, or desperate mind is sometimes needed to facilitate change.  Wishing everyone the very best of health.  Love ya SIDS, you always give your best....keep smashing those potatoes!

Just something to consider....where does your food come from?  How much suffering was involved to put the food on your plate?  And are you really gaining health by consuming an animal with a nervous system who experiences pain?  This is just the beginning of conscious eating and exploration to perhaps a new healthier way of life. Much love.

@phoenixbrd, where does YOUR food come from?  Do you grow it naturally?  Is it full of pesticides and antibiotics?  If not, then how do you manage that?  Suffering I don't understand as it relates to sustenance.  If you mean by taking from others to give to others ~ that's a bad thing.  

Mankind has been eating MEAT for centuries.  Now all of a sudden is harmful or not morally correct to do so?  I love Pork chops and eat them from time to time.  Should I be concerned that the pig suffered before he went to slaughter?

What right do you have to tell other cultures who eat a variety of foods some of us will never know of that they should not?  Is the western way to feed the human body the "right and only way?"  What about other cultures different from ours here in the US who avail themselves of all of the living sustenance that they can because if not they would die?

Meanwhile you and others who think like you know there is a shortage of food in the world right......

Yes, some of us are very concerned about animals suffering for humans to consume their flesh which isn't necessary to live a healthy life.

@Caligurll, that's what you would say.  Tell that to cultures who have to hunt for their food to eat.  Tell that to many who have to eat what is available to them or for that matter what is given to them (never mind health).  

It's one thing for folks to say all of this when they have control over their choices of food and quite another when they don't.  You should not be telling anyone that meat is not necessary for healthy life style.  You should just enjoy what you like and not rag on what others eat.  What YOU eat has no relevance on what the next person does.

@itiswhatitisJust my opinion, sorry to ruffle your feathers.  But it is what I believe and feel I can express my beliefs as much as any other poster.

@Caligurll, well yeah you DID ruffle my feathers.  Let me tell you why:

A lot of people (even in the United States) have to eat what is available to them

Lower income folk can not afford to replenish fresh fruits,vegetables and healthier options.  Some people don't have access to this in their communities.  Some eat based on how they were raised.  

You and others of likemind simply are saying that these people are "inferior" to your way of thinking ~ but they are not!

@itiswhatitis I don't think I made those statements anywhere.  You are reading too much into what I said.  I apologize if I offended you, but I will state my opinion when I have one.

Honored Contributor

Carbs aren't just breads, flours, rices and pasta.

Vegetables and fruits are mostly carbs, starchy ones and non-starchy ones.

Carbohydrates are a nutrient, not a food class.

Honored Contributor

I watched a TV program on diabetes. A cigarette is 5% sugar.

Honored Contributor

I was wrong its 20%

The United States is the only major cigarette market in the world in which the percentage of women smoking cigarettes (22%) comes close to the number of men who smoke (35%). Europe has a slightly larger gap (46% of men smoke, 26% of women smoke), while most other regions have few women smokers. The stats: Africa (29% of men smoke, 4% of women smoke); Southeast Asia (44% of men, 4% of women), Western Pacific (60% of men, 8% of women)

17. Nicotine reaches the brain within 10 seconds after smoke is inhaled. It has been found in every part of the body and in breast milk.

18. Sugar approximates to roughly 20% of a cigarette, and many diabetics are unaware of this secret sugar intake. Also, the effect of burning sugar is unknown.

19. ‘Lite’ cigarettes are produced by infusing tobacco with CO2 and superheating it until the tobacco ‘puffs up’ like expanding foam. The expanded tobacco then fills the same paper tube as ‘regular’ tobacco.

20. Smokers draw on ‘lite’ and menthol cigarettes harder (on average) than regular cigarettes; causing the same overall levels of tar and nicotine to be consumed.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Which is exactly why diabetics don't consume some things  that "everyone" thinks are totally healthy and "good for you,", like most fruit juices and many fruits. Veggies like corn, beets, peas and for some people carrots should be eaten in moderation in small portions. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I would not be a happy camper giving up sugar and carbs.

IMO, no one has to totally give up eating anything for their health. Restrict and cut back, definitely; you can't eat all you want of sugar and carbs, that can have some pretty dire consequences. But "never ever?" - not in my book. I can't go hog wild with unrefined simple carbs, but I do manage to eat carbs, and foods containing refined sugar, and still maintain healthy blood glucose levels. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Which is exactly why diabetics don't consume some things  that "everyone" thinks are totally healthy and "good for you,", like most fruit juices and many fruits. Veggies like corn, beets, peas and for some people carrots should be eaten in moderation in small portions. 

I have never and would never tell diabetics to eat hi GI foods.