Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Restrict Starch In Your Diet?

I follow a whole food plant based diet, with occasional vegan treats. I don't limit my carbs at all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caligurll wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I eat what I want....which happens to be what is healthy for my body.  The longer you eat nourishing whole plant based foods, the more you crave them.  Unfortunately, I've read similar posts whenever the subject of diet arises.  I love my life; and the fuel for my body allows me to be strong, healthy, kind, and compassionate.  I so respect SIDS.  She has done her homework and changed her life.  I respect those who have differing opinions as they feel they are doing what is best for themselves and their loved ones.  The book is that medical MDs receive little nutritional training in medical school.  The field of medicine and health change as we learn more.  A person can "prove" whatever they want with data.  Someone's paradigm can always be evidence based.  I usually choose not to involve myself in these discussions as I don't think it will influence anyone.  I wish everyone much health and the ability to respect differences of opinions.  I could write books on the subject, but an open, inquiring, or desperate mind is sometimes needed to facilitate change.  Wishing everyone the very best of health.  Love ya SIDS, you always give your best....keep smashing those potatoes!

Just something to consider....where does your food come from?  How much suffering was involved to put the food on your plate?  And are you really gaining health by consuming an animal with a nervous system who experiences pain?  This is just the beginning of conscious eating and exploration to perhaps a new healthier way of life. Much love.

@phoenixbrd, where does YOUR food come from?  Do you grow it naturally?  Is it full of pesticides and antibiotics?  If not, then how do you manage that?  Suffering I don't understand as it relates to sustenance.  If you mean by taking from others to give to others ~ that's a bad thing.  

Mankind has been eating MEAT for centuries.  Now all of a sudden is harmful or not morally correct to do so?  I love Pork chops and eat them from time to time.  Should I be concerned that the pig suffered before he went to slaughter?

What right do you have to tell other cultures who eat a variety of foods some of us will never know of that they should not?  Is the western way to feed the human body the "right and only way?"  What about other cultures different from ours here in the US who avail themselves of all of the living sustenance that they can because if not they would die?

Meanwhile you and others who think like you know there is a shortage of food in the world right......

Yes, some of us are very concerned about animals suffering for humans to consume their flesh which isn't necessary to live a healthy life.

I eat meat only because I have to. I truly dislike everything about it. Those of us with health issues a high starch diet makes us very ill. When we substitute other foods for meat, we end up needing more medication and our labs come back with issues. The one size fits all approach to dietary guidelines does not work for everyone. 

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG

One of the reasons why I work out.  So I can eat carbs Smiley Happy

I love pasta, bread, cereal, potatoes and rice.  And I will never give them up.  But - I do monitor my carbs.  I measure my food to meet my nutritional macros daily.  I could never lift heavy weights if I didn't eat carbs.   I also run and do cardio.  If I didn't eat carbs, I wouldn't have the endurance to do my workouts.

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991That's great!  I hate to exercise.  I never got endorphins when I did!Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG

I got hooked when Jane Fonda made workout tapes back in the very early 1980's....when the cardio craze started.  And one of the tapes she started to add small weights.  OMG...I was HOOKED!  I then started dating my husband (now ex) back in the mid 80's.  He trained me how to lift heavy weights - and then I really was hooked!  There was a couple of years I fell off the workout train and gained a lot of weight.  Then my husband whipped me into shape again Smiley Happy 

I never felt the endorphins when I first started.  It took about a year - continually increasing my intensity of workouts - then it happened.  I felt the runners high!  It was amazing Smiley Happy  I don't get that at every workout, but when I do I can go on for hours!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I eat what I want....which happens to be what is healthy for my body.  The longer you eat nourishing whole plant based foods, the more you crave them.  Unfortunately, I've read similar posts whenever the subject of diet arises.  I love my life; and the fuel for my body allows me to be strong, healthy, kind, and compassionate.  I so respect SIDS.  She has done her homework and changed her life.  I respect those who have differing opinions as they feel they are doing what is best for themselves and their loved ones.  The book is that medical MDs receive little nutritional training in medical school.  The field of medicine and health change as we learn more.  A person can "prove" whatever they want with data.  Someone's paradigm can always be evidence based.  I usually choose not to involve myself in these discussions as I don't think it will influence anyone.  I wish everyone much health and the ability to respect differences of opinions.  I could write books on the subject, but an open, inquiring, or desperate mind is sometimes needed to facilitate change.  Wishing everyone the very best of health.  Love ya SIDS, you always give your best....keep smashing those potatoes!

Just something to consider....where does your food come from?  How much suffering was involved to put the food on your plate?  And are you really gaining health by consuming an animal with a nervous system who experiences pain?  This is just the beginning of conscious eating and exploration to perhaps a new healthier way of life. Much love.

@phoenixbrd, where does YOUR food come from?  Do you grow it naturally?  Is it full of pesticides and antibiotics?  If not, then how do you manage that?  Suffering I don't understand as it relates to sustenance.  If you mean by taking from others to give to others ~ that's a bad thing.  

Mankind has been eating MEAT for centuries.  Now all of a sudden is harmful or not morally correct to do so?  I love Pork chops and eat them from time to time.  Should I be concerned that the pig suffered before he went to slaughter?

What right do you have to tell other cultures who eat a variety of foods some of us will never know of that they should not?  Is the western way to feed the human body the "right and only way?"  What about other cultures different from ours here in the US who avail themselves of all of the living sustenance that they can because if not they would die?

Meanwhile you and others who think like you know there is a shortage of food in the world right......

Yes, some of us are very concerned about animals suffering for humans to consume their flesh which isn't necessary to live a healthy life.

@Caligurll, that's what you would say.  Tell that to cultures who have to hunt for their food to eat.  Tell that to many who have to eat what is available to them or for that matter what is given to them (never mind health).  

It's one thing for folks to say all of this when they have control over their choices of food and quite another when they don't.  You should not be telling anyone that meat is not necessary for healthy life style.  You should just enjoy what you like and not rag on what others eat.  What YOU eat has no relevance on what the next person does.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

@cherry

That's awesome....you are blessed to have a great doctor.  Most doctors are not well versed in nutrition. 

It sounds like you take good care of yourself, which is fantastic.  I know a lot of diabetics that don't - and they wind up paying the price Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Caligurll, that's what you would say.  Tell that to cultures who have to hunt for their food to eat.  Tell that to many who have to eat what is available to them or for that matter what is given to them (never mind health).  

It's one thing for folks to say all of this when they have control over their choices of food and quite another when they don't.  You should not be telling anyone that meat is not necessary for healthy life style.  You should just enjoy what you like and not rag on what others eat.  What YOU eat has no relevance on what the next person does.

@itiswhatitisJust my opinion, sorry to ruffle your feathers.  But it is what I believe and feel I can express my beliefs as much as any other poster.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@itiswhatitisJust my opinion, sorry to ruffle your feathers.  But it is what I believe and feel I can express my beliefs as much as any other poster.

@Caligurll, well yeah you DID ruffle my feathers.  Let me tell you why:

A lot of people (even in the United States) have to eat what is available to them

Lower income folk can not afford to replenish fresh fruits,vegetables and healthier options.  Some people don't have access to this in their communities.  Some eat based on how they were raised.  

You and others of likemind simply are saying that these people are "inferior" to your way of thinking ~ but they are not!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I restrict starch as much as I need to to stay in shape.  I eat more of it when I'm burning more energy and less when I'm not.

I eat the simple carbs just before a workout (in the form of fruit) and again immediately afterwards with a good protein source.  It's nutrient timing.  It's very helpful if you are very active and want to help your body perform (and recover) the best it can. 

I do not eat bread and pasta on any regular basis.  Most of my carbs come from vegetables and fruits, and most of the vegetables I eat are of the non-starchy variety.  I function best without eating flour and sugar, but that doesn't mean I don't eat a cookie now and then, or a piece of cake or something.  It's just not part of my regular diet.  I can always tell from my workout the next day if I've eaten too much sugar the day before.  I'm lethargic, my joints hurt, and if I've really indulged I feel like I have a hangover.  I don't like feeling that way so I avoid it as much as I can.

I wonder about the statement that some make that doctors don't know anything about nutrition.  Whether or not they have a thorough education in nutrition in med school doesn't prove one way or the other of their expertise or lack thereof in nutrition.  They can learn outside of school, can't they?  I have a great integrative doc who knows a lot about nutrition, as does his staff.  They all have a great interest in it.  Who's to say on this board whose doctors know about it and whose doctors don't?  And why do some posters think that the info they gather from a google search or a you tube is nutrition gospel?  Is that what constitutes THEIR nutrition education?