Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Did This Wedding Cake Cost?

I was wondering why the cake didn't match the background.

Honored Contributor

That is a beautiful cake, well worth $50. In my opinion, people spend too much money on weddings these days. I know it’s a special day, hopefully you only do it once, but starting your new life together deep in debt isn’t worth it. I would rather use the money as a down payment on a house and elope!

Honored Contributor

It's a beautiful cake. They did a great job.

Valued Contributor

@Danky wrote:

Portillo's in Chicago makes a two layer chocolate cake.........It is made with Betty Crocker Devils Food cake mix using mayo instead of oil. They cook them and send you two wrapped layers, a spatula and 2 cans of Betty Crocker frosting. This would cost you around $5 using their recipe........

they charge $50 !!!!

There was a story in our local paper how a local bakery that was very popular did a taste-test with customers giving them samples of chocolate cake made from scratch and cake made from a Betty Crocker-like mix. The cake mix chocolate cake samples won the taste test by an overwhelming margin. These days people just expect cake to taste like Betty Crocker mixes.  

I've heard that many (most?) bakeries use cake mixes and dress them up a bit with extra flavorings, oil, etc. It's too time-consuming for them to make cakes completely from scratch. 

Respected Contributor

Weddings have become insane!  Many young women expect their parents to pay for extravagant affairs, going into debt if necessary or going into debt themselves.  Wedding gowns cost thousands of dollars and brides feel the need to outdo their friends' weddings at any cost.  

Honored Contributor

At $50 it is beautiful....but no way you can feed 150 people with only two Costco cakes. I have bought them many times for various functions and they never go that far, no matter how small the piece.