Super Contributor

Re: How Much Did This Wedding Cake Cost?

@Sooner   I agree with you ... Ewwww.

Related image

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

this cake is most lovely and so fancy. It is a lot more fancy than I would request. The brother showed off his talent of taking inexpensive items and make a lavish cake to fit the occasion.

still dont understand, with all his pastry talent, why he would not have made them his own cake instead of using a "costco cake."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Ewwww.  I wouldn't want to eat it after it had been cut up and re-iced and hauled around like that. 

Then don’t

ever,

ever,

ever,

ever,

ever

eat outside your own home.

(you’ve been warned)

🙃

Honored Contributor

It's a pretty cake, but my taste is much simpler. It wouldn't be my choice, no matter the cost.  I've watched roughly a gazillion cake baking shows in my life and I've always thought the rule was that if it is on the cake it should be edible. Am I mistaken about that?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Ewwww.  I wouldn't want to eat it after it had been cut up and re-iced and hauled around like that. 

Then don’t

ever,

ever,

ever,

ever,

ever

(you’ve been warned)

🙃

@sidsmom   You can feel better because I'm off salads now!  I just don't eat them out ever!  Woman Frustrated  And I always have burgers eaten out (rarely eat them out because my own are so much better) cooked well done!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Then don’t

ever,

ever,

ever,

ever,

ever

(you’ve been warned)

🙃

@sidsmom   You can feel better because I'm off salads now!  I just don't eat them out ever!  Woman Frustrated  And I always have burgers eaten out (rarely eat them out because my own are so much better) cooked well done!  

Huh?

No one has said anything about salads & burgers.

Wedding cakes (mentioned in the original post) are cooked

and room stable...of all the foods eaten the ‘cut up and re-iced

amd hauled around’ wedding cake is probably the safest product

eaten at a wedding. 

Honored Contributor

amazing   !!!!!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

It's a pretty cake, but my taste is much simpler. It wouldn't be my choice, no matter the cost.  I've watched roughly a gazillion cake baking shows in my life and I've always thought the rule was that if it is on the cake it should be edible. Am I mistaken about that?

@house_cat the rule is probably true, they say it all the time about garnishes on plates and how if they can't be eaten then they shouldn't be on the plate.

Respected Contributor

For the cost, I am thinking only the top tier is real cake, remaining tiers are iced forms. TJ's have exceptional prices for flowers.

We had a friend who did something similar when her son married.  The top tier was a real cake she made (cake mix), then other tiers were styrofoam. It was iced and simply decorated. Then she made several full sheet cakes.  Those were served.  Not many people were the wiser.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

It was $50.00!

Made from 2 Costco cakes, cut and stacked. Re iced with homemade buttercream frosting, decorated with $10 worth of flowers from Trader Joes. Stand was built with materials from Hobby Lobby.

Of course the bride's brother in law is the head pastry chef at the St Ermins hotel in London. That helps lol. He put the cake together to make it look like that.

Wow! He did one heck of a job putting it together like that, its gorgeous!

And I wouldn't think twice about eating a piece either. I bet it was delilcious!