Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Feel When a Friend Constantly Corrects You?

Unless  the out come of a 'correction" is important, why do it?  let it go.  We deal with humans, prone to err.  It is so rude, and dehumanizing to have our grammer corrected in public.  Usually the only one that benefits is the "corrector"..  It is  arrogant in some situations.

I would correct someone if they were quoting me the wrong balance on my bank account, calling me by the wrong name, or calling me late for dinner.  LOL!

Respected Contributor

I always appreciate a kind correction. But there is no room in friendship for laughing at someone while offering the correction, unless you both get the giggles. Some pronunciations are unintentionally funny but you both have to appreciate the humor. Otherwise that is not a friend, that is someone enjoying feeling superior at your expense. I have several close friends and cousins that also appreciate a heads up on pronunciation. We all look out for each other to save embarrassment not to cause it. 

Honored Contributor

@baker wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

Is she a teacher?  They are so used to correcting small mistakes that sometimes they can't switch it off.  I have a distant relative like that who is otherwise basically the kindest person in the world, so I have always assumed this is an occupational hazard faced by teachers.

On the other hand, to share a correction is one thing but to say "I can't believe you didn't pronounce that right" is not friendly.

Yes, teachers are the worst for correcting others. My teacher husband would always correct me in front of others until I just went off on him one time and embarassed him. My husband never corrected me in front of others again.

A truly good teacher knows when it's appropriate to correct someone kindly and when it is just arrogant and uncalled for.

I taught grammar, word usage, punctuation, vocabulary, etc., for many years to adult students who wanted to pass a very rigorous state test to be court reporters. Humility served me well. I worked with them on their different levels and backgrounds and learned early on never, ever to humiliate them.

To this day, I can't abide those who think it's okay to do so. Those are the only people who deserve to be critiqued for their own errors.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

jaxs mom wrote:

I just don't understand the concept of wanting to remain ignorant. The idea that people feel it's rude to be educated is just, I don't even know what to say. It's sad and hilarious at the same time. 

I don't understand your post.  After re-reading all the other replies I don't see anyone who said they wanted to remain ignorant.  

What I did notice was that most don't think it's necessary to be rude.

Exactly.  No one wants to be embarrassed, and no one who really cares about helping people should want to embarrass them or make them feel ashamed or humiliated.

Correcting someone in a rude manner is inexcusable.  There are many ways to do it without making someone feel foolish.  Anyone who corrects someone else in a mocking tone - or does it in front of others - isn't doing it to be nice.  They're doing it to make themselves feel superior.

I don't know anyone who would reject being educated, but I know a lot of people who don't want to be treated rudely by a know-it-all who very well may not know anything!

Honored Contributor

Some posters do the same thing on this board when they are always correcting other people's spelling , or how you say something or typos. When I read it done here I just think that the person is rude to do that, or has really low self esteem and needs that to boost themselves up. Since there are posters here of every education level and every region of the country there are bound to be differences in how things are said, spelled or typed. As long as the person is getting their point across there is no reason to correct them. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

OT but some of the worst days of my life were spent in court-reporting school.

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@baker wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

Is she a teacher?  They are so used to correcting small mistakes that sometimes they can't switch it off.  I have a distant relative like that who is otherwise basically the kindest person in the world, so I have always assumed this is an occupational hazard faced by teachers.

On the other hand, to share a correction is one thing but to say "I can't believe you didn't pronounce that right" is not friendly.

Yes, teachers are the worst for correcting others. My teacher husband would always correct me in front of others until I just went off on him one time and embarassed him. My husband never corrected me in front of others again.

A truly good teacher knows when it's appropriate to correct someone kindly and when it is just arrogant and uncalled for.

I taught grammar, word usage, punctuation, vocabulary, etc., for many years to adult students who wanted to pass a very rigorous state test to be court reporters. Humility served me well. I worked with them on their different levels and backgrounds and learned early on never, ever to humiliate them.

To this day, I can't abide those who think it's okay to do so. Those are the only people who deserve to be critiqued for their own errors.

Honored Contributor

@Fashionista17 wrote:

One of my friends constantly corrects the way I and others in our circle will pronouce a word.  For example, I pronounced the word "hygienist" as "hygeenist."  OK, maybe that's not the right way to say it but then my friend laughed and said she couldn't believe I pronounced the word the way I did.  It's happened other times with me and others in our group and just this past weekend once more.  Maybe I'm being silly but I wouldn't bring up to someone that they pronounced a word the wrong way - or at least if I wanted to correct someone I wouldn't laugh and make fun of the person. Do you think she is doing this to show us up and show how intelligent she is?  It is very annoying.  I always get good advice and comments from this community and I'd love to know what you think. Thanks!

I don't really care why she does it ... but I'd really like to know why you tolerate  her rudeness !    

What gives ??     

Trusted Contributor

It's rude, period. If she were truly someone I cared about, I would pull her aside and ask her to kindly stop correcting me & others. Tell her it hurts your feelings. She may not realize how tiresome she is being. 

And if she continued to do it, I would call her out right then and there and say something like, "Why in the world would you interrupt me just to be rude?" If that doesn't stop her dead in her tracks, I don't know what will. Good luck. 

Respected Contributor

IMO it's just rude to correct adults in front of other people.

I have a friend who embellishes anything I say by the time she repeats it, I'm always tempted to correct her but I never will.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

I agree with RainyDayGirl. I am an English teacher also. Sometimes when people in  important positions mispronounce words or slaughter the King's English, as I always say, I have to bite my tongue. If it's someone who doesn't know any better, I understand that, but people who are educated should know better. I just try to close my ears and my mouth.

tea