Trusted Contributor

Our local Wal-Mart gets a little shipment of tp about once a week and if you're not there when it comes in, you are out of luck.  

However, a city about 50 miles away has all kinds of it and all different brands.  I have checked on Wal-Mart site for over ten days now and this town is always listed as the nearest town for me to find tp.  Has Charmin, Cottonelle, Angel Soft, and Great Value.  No Scott or Northern, though.  

It's my understanding that as the item goes through the checkout the inventory is adjusted, so I don't think it's just a matter of someone not updating their inventory.  So, how can one Wal-Mart have so much and another so little?

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Explain This?

? Storage, volume and tracking plays a big part in what any particular store recieves for sale to the public.  There's no consipiracy involved.

Honored Contributor

Our Kroger stores are the same.  They are near each other, but seems when one has something the other one is out.  Neighbors let each other know thru FB what is where and when.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

It depends on the SIZE of the stock room

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@wismiss -

could it be management?

not estimating the demand for the community?

not able to get enough at the time supplies?

I do think the last time I went to Walmart weeks ago that they had done an admirable job in trying to get as much as they could as fast as they could and stocking it as well, even though there were many things missing, they did an admirable job.

I wanted to applaud them. I felt so grateful, and felt they were all trying their best.

I don't know why some are able to get more than others.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

i worked in a grocery store, part of a chain, for a few years after retiring. I was in customer service so heard it all and was privy to some information that other employees weren't.

The biggest problem is that hoarders have depleted supplies everywhere.  Manufacturers haven't been able to keep up so there is less available.  

In addition, chains have warehouses and computer systems that determine what each store gets, usually based on prior store sales.  Stores can keep asking for more but that doesn't mean they'll get it since overall supplies are gone. 

My favorite store gets small shipments 2-3 times a week.  Last week, each were just a couple of cases.  They put half out in the morning and half out later in the day.  

Honored Contributor

@wismiss    You're asking US why Walmart operates as it does?  Why don't you as THEM?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Nobody understands the mystery of missing items in one store, plenty in another.  I cannot wrap my head around it. And online shopping has gotten weird.  Something is available and 3 seconds later it's not.  I find it stressful.  I've been using Freshdirect for grocery delivery and snagging TP on their website is an olympic sport.  Most times none is available.  Sometimes one is available, I put it in the cart and checkout and then it tells me it's no longer available.  Today one was available I put it in my cart and it actually let me checkout with it. However, I am putting at the top of the list of things I know I won't actually get, which is what they've been doing for weeks now.  Something wrong with their inventory program I guess. I hate it as I'd just rather know I'm not getting something than have to wonder which 5 items will be missing. One week it was all my proteins so I just had a bunch of side dishes!  So I still have to go to the store for the missing stuff.  But it's better than doing a massive trip in the store and only having to manage a few bags.  Honeslty we've been eating a lot of takeout lately.  It just makes life easier.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

Our local Wal-Mart gets a little shipment of tp about once a week and if you're not there when it comes in, you are out of luck.  

However, a city about 50 miles away has all kinds of it and all different brands.  I have checked on Wal-Mart site for over ten days now and this town is always listed as the nearest town for me to find tp.  Has Charmin, Cottonelle, Angel Soft, and Great Value.  No Scott or Northern, though.  

It's my understanding that as the item goes through the checkout the inventory is adjusted, so I don't think it's just a matter of someone not updating their inventory.  So, how can one Wal-Mart have so much and another so little?

@wismiss 

My Ralphs (part of Kroger chain) seems to never have TP.   I mentioned this in passing to one of the security guards, and she said they have TP every single day when the store opens at 7am.  Problem is, since it's limited to 2 per customer, couples come in and shop separately and go home with 4 packages!   Makes me wonder if they are re-selling it.   

Respected Contributor

Aren't some of the walmarts supercenters and other ones aren't?

Also if you shop at stores where they list an item out of stock in the store  they might have a small amount of that item  in stock at your store  that is too low to show in stock