Contributor

Re: How Do You Explain This?

I just heard on the news that Walmart is selling as many paper goods in 3 hours that use to take 3 days to sell.  I suppose the system is beyond overwhelmed.  

Trusted Contributor

I recently read a report about the factors affecting the amount of toilet paper available.  Here are some of the key points:

1. Two markets exist: commercial/institutional and consumer (homes).

2.  Each type is different and made from different fibers, compositions, etc.  That explains why the paper you find in restaurants, gas stations, schools etc. is rougher and single ply.  The paper intended fror home is softer and embossed.

3.  Different factories and machines are used to produce each type.

4.  The materials required to produce are huge/bulky and require too much warehouse space to store. Data and logistics are used to determine how much is produced.

5.  The commercial/institutional market has declined considerably while the consumer has increased drastically as people use more at home rather than what they used throughout the day at school, work, etc.  

6.  Hoarding is also a factor as people purchase toilet paper the way they would milk and break during emergencies.

Yes, some people are hoarding but this explanation provides some insight.  I don't recall where I read this; It was a part of my postings from different news organizations.  There are several articles and news reports online about this topic.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think they're set up to actually track minute by minute. When I check the website for TP which store has it can change by the day and honestly I'd assume that just because it says it's available right now oesn't mean it would be on the shelf when I get there. 

If people would just get back to their normal buying habits this would all even out. 

Honored Contributor

I think individuals should be limited to only purchasing once a week. If some enterprising group of people shows up and buys the max amount every morning, that wipes out the stock for everyone else. Some sort of increased rationing is going to have to happen if supply chains don't catch up soon.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I learned last summer that the actual online inventory doesn't necessarily match what is listed on Walmart's website. I planned to buy some things from lawn and garden department. When I looked online, it said the items were in stock, but when I got there they were sold out. I had to drive to about 10 different Walmarts to get what I wanted even though according to the website all of them had the items in stock.

Honored Contributor

Last year Nestle came out with Mickey Mouse ice cream, similar to the ice cream they sell at Walt Disney World. It was a popular item. 

Many people were saying they were able to buy it at ShopRite. We looked and looked never was in any ShopRite near us. Finally after 6 months we asked the Frozen Food Manager if he has ever gotten the ice cream in. He said every week he orders it but never gets it. It seemed like the people in New Jersey were able to get it at their ShopRite. I live in Pennsylvania.

Well, it is almost a year and finally we saw it in our local ShopRite. No idea why it took almost a year for it to appear. I am sure there are many reasons behind the scenes.

Honored Contributor

My Walmart is often out of goods for extended periods during normal times, let alone now.

I'm beginning to wonder if mine has just quit selling toilet paper all together. They've replaced the entire toilet paper aisle with Easter supplies.

Honored Contributor

Something is definitely wrong all the way around with many stores.  My grocery stores are all limiting milk and yet there is definitely NOT a shortage of milk.  Dairy farmers are dumping milk because they have such an excess but yet most limit milk to 2 gallons.   Dairy farmers are having an awful time.

That aside, my Giant Eagle never has TP either except for their own brand and even that is super scarce.  But yet I can go to other stores and they are fully stocked and loaded.  I was told by a cashier that the trucks are coming in for deliveries and they are half full only.  I'm not sure if our store is considered smaller or what is going on.  It's almost impossible to shop there anymore because of lack of inventory on everything.

Valued Contributor

All too frequently, online indicates stock in local store but there is none.