Honored Contributor

Re: How Did I Manage to Get a Dumb Alexa?

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

My first experience with Alexa was just a month ago.  We were staying with friends in Colorado and they have Alexa...I stood there with my mouth open when one of the friends said "Alexa, turn on the kitchen light" and the lights came on.

From that moment on I had a ball asking Alexa to do something.  One evening I was attempting to tell Alexa to turn off the dining light and she wouldn't do it.  After four times perhaps I had a bit of annoyance in my voice when Alexa said to me, "I don't like your attitude"...What???  Wow, that cracked everyone up but she finally responded to my command.

@Lindsays Grandma,That kind of reminds me of that movie about "Hal" the controling computer!!!  He had control of the house, alarms, communication, and entrances!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

My first experience with Alexa was just a month ago.  We were staying with friends in Colorado and they have Alexa...I stood there with my mouth open when one of the friends said "Alexa, turn on the kitchen light" and the lights came on.

From that moment on I had a ball asking Alexa to do something.  One evening I was attempting to tell Alexa to turn off the dining light and she wouldn't do it.  After four times perhaps I had a bit of annoyance in my voice when Alexa said to me, "I don't like your attitude"...What???  Wow, that cracked everyone up but she finally responded to my command.

@Lindsays Grandma,That kind of reminds me of that movie about "Hal" the l computer!!!  He had control of the house, alarms, communication, and entrances!

Now that's funny, but it creeps me out too. Warning, Will Robinson!!! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma,That kind of reminds me of that movie about "Hal" the l computer!!!  He had control of the house, alarms, communication, and entrances!

Now that's funny, but it creeps me out too. Warning, Will Robinson!!! LOL

ECBG and QualityGal...It was rather creepy.  Everything in the house was done electronically or by voice command.  Lights came on and off automatically, water came out of the kitchen faucet just by passing your hand near it.  I felt as though I was living in a commercial for technology.  They were able to view the outside of the house by looking at their cell phones.  I think they were able to hear conversations from other rooms on their cell phones...it was almost like they could see everything that was going on in all of the rooms as well.  In one way it was fun discovering these new things and in another way it was scary, like we were being secretly watched.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

While visiting my friends in Colorado I always said thank you to Alexa when she responed to my commands.

@Kachina624 wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Someone mentioned it coming on out of the blue near the TV.  Mine does that sometimes.  It's one of the few times (without hurting someone's feelings) I can say, "Shut up".  Ha!  We are taught as children to never say, "Shut up".  I have to say I enjoy it....Hummm???  I think I'm being immature, but it is fun sometimes....

Google understands when I call it a ******* idiot, and responds by saying, "that's not very nice."  LoL

Alexa said something like, "I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you" or something like that when I told her she was stupid. 

On on the flip side, when she's helpful, I always say "thank you."

@PurpleBunny  Isn't it funny the way you instinctively tell Alexa "please" and "thank you"?   She must think we're the dumb ones. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

We have Alexa Dot with no problems. The silly stupid questions my grandson will ask ..and she answers. It shows up on my kindle what has been asked and when/last lol..

Maybe it is your voice. Not being rude but what may be clear and to us may not to another person/computer lol.  Just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

I just got Alexa for my birthday, Friday, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

She plays my old favorite songs, saves on lots of CD's. And just found out she's a timer, too!!  I found out about her by watching my grandbaby twins at my daughter's - she got it for Christmas.  She has her put lights on and off, I don't need that, so don't.  I can see her point though, feeding a baby and it's getting dark out, no need to get up.  Over there I have her play the "Chicken Dance" and the twins just love it!!  It's really fun!  They gave it to me for my birthday.  Forgive me for bringing this thread back up, but I didn't want to start a new one for this post.