Super Contributor

Re: How Did I Manage to Get a Dumb Alexa?

@haddon9  - LOL!

@haddon9 wrote:

My Alexa isn't the brightest either.

She has a lot of problems with too many questions but the worst is now that the weather is nice DH takes her out on the patio but she can't seem to hear him...He starts yelling at her and I can only imagine what the neighbors think!

Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Someone mentioned it coming on out of the blue near the TV.  Mine does that sometimes.  It's one of the few times (without hurting someone's feelings) I can say, "Shut up".  Ha!  We are taught as children to never say, "Shut up".  I have to say I enjoy it....Hummm???  I think I'm being immature, but it is fun sometimes....

Google understands when I call it a ******* idiot, and responds by saying, "that's not very nice."  LoL

Alexa said something like, "I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you" or something like that when I told her she was stupid. 

On on the flip side, when she's helpful, I always say "thank you."

@PurpleBunny  Isn't it funny the way you instinctively tell Alexa "please" and "thank you"?   She must think we're the dumb ones. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I was telling my Alexa dot that she is stupid too! "I'm not quite sure how to help you with that" is all she ever says. 

What I funny is that anytime anyone says "Alexa" on TV, she perks right up!  For instance, that Domino's commercial where they mention her, I'm always afraid pizza is going to show up at my door. 

@PurpleBunny- my Alexa did try to order pizza but luckily Dominoes was closed at 3 am and couldn't complete the order. 

Esteemed Contributor

Love Alexa, no problems at all.  I even bring my tap on vacation with me....

Respected Contributor

The amusing responses here remind me of a Big Bang Theory episode in which Raj is disappointed he doesn't have a girlfriend and decides to use Siri as a substitute. Quite funny.

Esteemed Contributor

I love my Alexa! I admit she does make some mistakes (I dont ask it how to spell though). I mostly use it for playing music and the games it has. Also for reminders, timer, weather, news.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I mostly ask the weather (even though it's always for two towns away), sports scores and  news headlines. 

If you are getting the weather for the wrong town (if I understood right) you can enter your own town or zip in the app so it will be correct.

Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I mostly ask the weather (even though it's always for two towns away), sports scores and  news headlines. 

If you are getting the weather for the wrong town (if I understood right) you can enter your own town or zip in the app so it will be correct.

Yippee!  I changed it!!  Thanks!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

Hi @Annabellethecat66,! I just got real technical and activated Seri on my IPad: I am proud of myself!

So far, Seri seems far more interactive than Alexa.  I like her! But I enjoy Alexa: especially the music.

Since you have both devices, did you ever invest in any of the "smart home" devices? Things like light turning on and off may be a big help while you recover. While I will be keeping Ccassaday in my prayers, you are going on my list as well. I don't read all the Wellness threads, but I am sure you will be relieved when it's all over.

What is your favorite music to listen to? Currently, I am fixated on Josh Groban and if you ask Alexa for the Josh Groban station, great selections come up. When DH is working late, I used to keep the tv on: I don't know why, but it calms me down when I'm alone: we have the same size house as you. These days, I love to have Alexa play beautiful music to go to sleep with.

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

My first experience with Alexa was just a month ago.  We were staying with friends in Colorado and they have Alexa...I stood there with my mouth open when one of the friends said "Alexa, turn on the kitchen light" and the lights came on.

From that moment on I had a ball asking Alexa to do something.  One evening I was attempting to tell Alexa to turn off the dining light and she wouldn't do it.  After four times perhaps I had a bit of annoyance in my voice when Alexa said to me, "I don't like your attitude"...What???  Wow, that cracked everyone up but she finally responded to my command.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam