Honored Contributor

Re: House Heat: How Low Can You Go?

[ Edited ]

Well our "winter" weather is not severe in Texas.....so it has to be 32 degrees outside before I turn the heat on.....and then the thermostat is set at 62 and maybe on just 30 minutes to take the chill off and then I turn the heat off...... I enjoy the cool weather and would rather wear a nice warm sweater or curl up in a soft warm cuddly throw then have the heat on and have the house feel stuffy.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

Well our "winter" weather is not severe in Texas.....so it has to be 32 degrees outside before I turn the heat on.....and then the thermostat is set at 62 and maybe on just 30 minutes to take the chill off and then I turn the heat off...... I enjoy the cool weather and would rather wear a nice warm sweater or curl up in a soft warm cuddly throw then have the heat on and have the house feel stuffy.....

Your post reminded me of a time I was in San Antonio on a business trip with 3 or 4 other women.  It was fall, as I recall, and the temps were in the 60s.  Here we were in light clothing, well, because it was in the 60s and for us that's warm.   

But as we entered the building with many of the locals who work there, they were all decked out like Nanuck of the North and talking about how 'freezing' it was.   We found that interesting - in that to us it was full on warm, yet to them it was freezing because they don't get sub-freezing temps like we do.  For me, it's cold when it's 40 or below.  YMMV of course.  Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Your post reminded me of a time I was in San Antonio on a business trip with 3 or 4 other women.  It was fall, as I recall, and the temps were in the 60s.  Here we were in light clothing, well, because it was in the 60s and for us that's warm.   

But as we entered the building with many of the locals who work there, they were all decked out like Nanuck of the North and talking about how 'freezing' it was.   We found that interesting - in that to us it was full on warm, yet to them it was freezing because they don't get sub-freezing temps like we do.  For me, it's cold when it's 40 or below.  YMMV of course.  Smiley Happy  

@chickenbutt

LOL!!! Yes CHICKENBUTT that's very typical here if the temperature drops into the 50's/60's some people bring out their Antartic gear----LOL!!!   In fact on the news last night the weather forecaster said early morning temperatures would be in the low 50's so parents might want to send their kids to school in a light windbreaker---SAYWHAT???  I just had to laugh....Even my sister....it hits 60 and she wants to light a fire in her fireplace....LOL!!!  Now 40 degrees or temperatures below then I will wear a light coat......We do hit freezing now and again and do get ice and sleet occasionally ......My brother and SIL live in upstate NY near the Vermont border and he laughs at us....he says what you in Texas call winter we call spring.....winter is 40 degrees below zero or colder where he lives....!!! Smiley Very Happy

But it's warmer than normal here this year......it's still in the 80's and suppose to hit 90 by the weekend---ARRRGGGGHHH!!!  They said the cold artic air was stuck in the upper part of the U.S.......Woman Tongue  That's why I don't turn on my heat---I want to enjoy the cooler weather when and IF we get it!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

69 during the day and 62 at night. Our heating and cooling costs are among the lowest in the nation, so my reason is not cost, it's to conserve energy. I hear about heating bills in the hundreds of $ and I don't know how your budgets can handle that.