Respected Contributor

Re: House Heat: How Low Can You Go?

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom

I would be miserable in your house. Do you have a medical condition which makes you feel cold at a temp of 70? We do not like a hot house. We keep the furnace around 62 and maybe up to 64 during the day and 58-59 at night in winter. And we know how to dress in flexible layers. I think we have had a couple of nights with outside temps in 40 s but days are warm (70 s) so the temp inside is warm from daytime heating. We aren't being cheap; we just aren't comfortable baking in a hot house.  

Valued Contributor

64 degrees  in the Fall/ winter and 74 degrees in the Spring/ summer   ( SW GA)    CAT

Valued Contributor

oh and MIL who lives in FLA keeps her house temp set at  80Degrees winter and summer.

not a good thing....   i about dry up and DIE.

CAT

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@sidsmom

I would be miserable in your house. Do you have a medical condition which makes you feel cold at a temp of 70? We do not like a hot house. We keep the furnace around 62 and maybe up to 64 during the day and 58-59 at night in winter. And we know how to dress in flexible layers. I think we have had a couple of nights with outside temps in 40 s but days are warm (70 s) so the temp inside is warm from daytime heating. We aren't being cheap; we just aren't comfortable baking in a hot house.  

@libbyannE

Giggle. No. No medical condition. I think of my place like a greenhouse;

the same temp all yr round. I just don't like wearing a lot of clothes.

Honored Contributor

I absolutely refefuse to suffer just to suffer.  I can afford to pay for as much heat as I need.   So, I turn the heat up as high as I need to turn the heat on whenever I need it.  We are in MA and we it's getting cold now, it was down into the low 30's last night. Just 40something now but I haven't turned the heat on yet.  We were warm enough with comforters last night I have my heater beside me now.  

Respected Contributor

I haven't read all the replies but I want to be comfy...not hot..not cold..but comfy.

I don't want to walk around bundled to the hilt to save a few bucks..I like to turn the heat down at night as we sleep better with cooler temps in the house...66..67...during the day depends on the outside temp..but DH gets chilly often with his health issues..

If I am running around..cooking and cleaning I of course would like the temps to be lower to reflect my building up the heat lol.

Comfy is my our temp.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in a warm house because that's the way my dad liked it (being from Spain).  I don't know if my thermostat gives accurate readings but when turning the heat on, I set it to 74, which feels neither warm nor chilly to me.  When turning the A/C on, it's set to 79 and we're comfortable.  I don't mess with it, once I set either one, for day/night, I just let it kick in when the temps fall above/below the settings.

Respected Contributor

Once the house gets below 60, I turn on the heat. The cats start to give me pointed looks at that point.

Over the winter, as long as the temp is around 65 in here, I am fine.
Respected Contributor

Our local news just had a segment on this subject last night, featuring a local HVAC expert.  His advice was to set your thermostat at whatever comfortable temperature you need, then leave it there. His opinion is that turning the thermostat down at night and up during the day is counterproductive to efficiency--mechanical and financial.   He went into some detail about how quickly walls and furniture get cold and how long the furnace has to run to re-warm the house.

He also cautioned that the biggest mistake we all make is waiting until we actually need some heat to turn on our furnaces.  His point was that in case repairs are needed, you will want to find it out before you need your furnace.  

DH and I have not clicked ours on yet, but it is a cool 68º in here as I type this, and we are tempted.  It's a mind game with us, I think, trying to deny the inevitable as long as possible.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio, did you get frost last night?  I saw on the news that there was a frost warning but I thought it said it was inland, south of us, and east of Cleveland.

I'm not sure how cold it got last night but my house was 64 when I woke up this morning.  I was still very comfortable taking a shower and getting ready.  It's supposed to go into the upper 60's today.

But my dog is another story.   When I came downstairs to leave this morning, she was curled in a ball on the couch, buried in a blanket.  Apparently she was cold.   LOL