Esteemed Contributor

Re: Homelessness

[ Edited ]

I think you should move to Colorado. Sometimes we need to make difficult decisions. I used to live in CA and do not miss it.

The people are kind and considerate. The state is beautiful. I would never go back. Being homeless is not an option. Take care of yourself.

Please let us know how you are doing. Can't you collect SSDI? Ask your doctor about it. Call the Social Security office.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

They are building the biggest, affordable, low income  project in Gilroy.  It is called Alexander Station .  Look it up.  It isn't done yet, but they are taking applications.  Many of the units are based on your income.  Some are allotted for disabled, others low income, some section 8. It is worth looking into. They had a huge write up in the Gilroy Dispatch in the last month.

Interesting - I hadn't heard about this.  Most of the news I follow is from Santa Cruz south to Carmel. It does sound promising. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow  You will survive... one of those challenging times in life.  Your sister offered you a place to stay and it would be wonderful to have some family support.  Maybe, once you are settled, you can begin to explore financial options.  It takes time to sort through systems that might be available to you.  The bay area is very expensive.  I'm sending love and light and know that you will make it through this tough time.  

Respected Contributor

Terrible situation. I googled a few things for you. I do not know why you cannot get Section 8. A woman all alone is horrible. I looked at HUD too. You need Disability. What a man your ex is...but I do not know the entire story and is your private life sweetie. You are lucky to have your son. I see homeless guys everywhere I go. I give and give. A few women live in their cars or on Section 8 here. It's so sad. I'll see if I can add the info below. There was a LOT online but I took a couple of them here.

HOMELESS HELP xxxx.png

HOMELESS google xxxxx.png

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

@hsawaknow  You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers for a solution to your housing.  I am so sorry.

You may try contacting your local county Office on Aging and see if they have any suggestions.

You may qualify for Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) if you worked before you became disabled. 

Respected Contributor

To cheer you up a little...is a new tune by Peter Frampton... helping others... (is funny how so called friends disappear when you need them the most. I know....) HUGS

https://youtu.be/XPb3Y1YnvGM

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.  I found this and am including it in the off chance that you didn't see it already.

http://www.hellohousing.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/City-of-Cupertino-%E2%80%93-BMR-Rental-Units....

Super Contributor

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

PLEASE call legal aid immediately.  See if there is anything you can do to stop the evication.  Perhaps your landlord did not follow the letter of the law,  Even if they could get you a stay it will give you more time.  Not many judges want to put a sick person on the street.

Respected Contributor

Re: Homelessness

[ Edited ]

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. You could go to your sister's as a temporary arrangement while you investigate options that are closer to your son. Call the Bar Association to hook you up with no-fee attorney services or call your Legal Aid Clinic directly, who will assist you for free. I think they would be able to advise you. There are eviction laws and I'm quite sure you cannot be evicted on such short notice.

It doesn't sound like you're old enough to contact your local Department of the Aging for housing advice, but you could try. Best wishes.

Esteemed Contributor

What about moving to and living in Sacramento?