Honored Contributor

Re: Homelessness

[ Edited ]

@hsawaknow  All the advice about SSDI etc. is fine BUT:

There are laws to protect tenants.   From the day of this post to Sept. 8th is only 15 days.

Your landlord's daughter cannot just tell you to leave; there is a process she has to follow in order to force you out.  This sounds like she just doesn't want you there rather than some vague "trust" with Wells Fargo.

Do you have a lease?  Is it about to expire?  Or are you renting month-to-month?

She still has to follow a legal process.  She cannot just tell you verbally and leave it at that.

I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO SEEK LEGAL ADVICE.  Legal Aid should be able to help you.    There also has to be agencies to help you out in this matter, too.

Perhaps some of the other CA posters can direct you in that area.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I agree with so many  other posters.  You need professional help.  Legal Aid, Human Services, a social worker, someone who knows the "system" can get you the help you should have.  There is no reason for you to figure this out on your own.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

When and how did she give you notice you are to leave by 09/08? 

Do you have a signed rental agreement?

Like Cakers said, there is a process she has to follow.  She just cannot force you to leave by a certain date.

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow,  I have never heard of not earning enough money for Sec 8.  That is crazy.  They base your rent on your income but you have to get on a waiting list for apts.  You may have to live with your sister and make some kind of arrangment for your husband to put your son on a plane to Colorado to see you for vacations or something.  I lived in CA for 4-1/2 years in San Francisco.  Yes, rents are very high and so are the prices of homes.  I was glad to move  back to the midwest where I get my money's worth.  Hope you are doing well.  Take care.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Homelessness

[ Edited ]

You don't receive SS for your disability? I hope you get medcaid.

That area is expensive to rent and live.

The landlady does have to follow a legal procedure to get you out. Give you a 30 day notice. Or just stay until the eviction process.

You are lucky you get alimony. Many don't even after a long marriage.

Esteemed Contributor

I have placed many seniors and disabled people in housing with situations like your own.  I am on the east coast but I strongly suggest you call The Salvation Army and YWCA in your area.  Both organizations are active in your area and provide clean and safe accommodations on emergency basis.  Though I've used the above organizations, exclusively, the Red Cross also can assist you. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@hsawaknow,  I have never heard of not earning enough money for Sec 8.  That is crazy.  They base your rent on your income but you have to get on a waiting list for apts.  You may have to live with your sister and make some kind of arrangment for your husband to put your son on a plane to Colorado to see you for vacations or something.  I lived in CA for 4-1/2 years in San Francisco.  Yes, rents are very high and so are the prices of homes.  I was glad to move  back to the midwest where I get my money's worth.  Hope you are doing well.  Take care.

@Katcat1  She might have meant she earns too much $$, even though it is alimony.

Although imo alimony isn't a stable source, even if court-ordered.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I just reread your first post Op, You get 1200 a month for  alimony. Many here just make a little bit over that a month.  Again you are very lucky, epecially if this for life.

Honored Contributor

Maybe you could work from home to earn a little extra income....makingcurtesy calls or something.I hope that you can find help and that you aren't forced to move too far from your son.I also hope that someone will help with your move when the time comes.I think your situation sounds rough but there has to be some service out there to help.I think that you just haven't talked to the right agency yet so keep at it until you find assistance.

Esteemed Contributor

If there is no contract between landlord and tenant, then it automatically defaults to a month-to-month.

Still, the landlord MUST follow the law, when it comes to an eviction.