Honored Contributor

Extra-dark (black) chocolate.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Gargle with warm salt water for a sore throat.

Sniff it up your nose for a head cold.

Honored Contributor

When I feel a cold coming on, I'll eat something extremely hot and spicy.  Then wash it down with an adult beverage.  Or two.

I maintain it kills any germs I'm harboring.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

The one tha works for our family is this Before you go to bed rub Vicks on the bottom of your feet and put socks on. It helps break up the congestion. It works for us .

Honored Contributor

One thing you will see in our bathrooms year round is a bottle of peroxide.   I pour it down the drain to take care of stinky drain odor, disinfect the bathtub with peroxide, but mainly we pour it over our toothbrush to kill bacteria and germs before and after each use.   

Honored Contributor

Put moisture into the air. It seems to help sooth your throat, and gives some relief from congestion

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a kid, my grandmother would paint our throats with mercurachrome (sorry, I don't know how to spell it) -- it's an old red liquid disinfectant used on cuts and scrapes usually.  When I got sick, I'd try to hide it because painting our throats was a horrid process.

Mother would always put Vaporub on our chests and then cover it with a white handerchief.

These days I buy the strongest dosage of Alka-Seltzer Plus available and go to bed.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Vicks Vapor Rub.....

hot tea with honey and lemon....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

When I was a kid, my grandmother would paint our throats with mercurachrome (sorry, I don't know how to spell it) -- it's an old red liquid disinfectant used on cuts and scrapes usually.  When I got sick, I'd try to hide it because painting our throats was a horrid process.

Mother would always put Vaporub on our chests and then cover it with a white handerchief.

These days I buy the strongest dosage of Alka-Seltzer Plus available and go to bed.  

I hope you mean your grandma painted the outside of your throats and not the insides. 

Honored Contributor

I always use a packet or half packet of sambazon organic acai pulp in frozen foods.  Or trader joes organic frozen acai.  Both need to be unsweetened.  I add blueberries, pineapple, blackberries a bit of OJ, few slices banana and blend.  Great anti oxident and immune system booter..