Honored Contributor

If you’re staying home for the night, how about a hot buttered rum?  I’m sure there are lots of recipes online, but from my memory, you need a shot of rum, some very hot water, a teaspoon of butter, a teaspoon of sugar, a squirt of lemon, and top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Home Remedies

[ Edited ]

Grandma with 7 kids - her answer to getting some sleep - before humidifiers were invented.

For plugged nose - no air can get through - coughing due to mucis back of throat dripping

Take washcloth - soak in cold cold water & remove excess water

Over that a layer of wax paper

Over that a dry face towel that will reach around your neck and pin ends together with 2 big safety pins.

To construct this mess - lay out on table the face towel first - lay wax paper and finally the cold wet washcloth  raise and pin around neck

You'll sleep like a baby - no coughing - body heat will warm the cold washcloth and produce ..............humidity up your nose

WA - LA

Honored Contributor

We use warm water fresh lemon juice,manuka honey,grated ginger and fresh grated black pepper...works well drink often till feeling better

Trusted Contributor

A saline nasal rinse to flush all the garbage out of my nose.

Honored Contributor

my grandparents were huge home fixer’er uppers. 

One time I fell on a pencil and tip broke off in my cheek on my face. I had to wear a poltice of a black gooey type ointment with a huge white bandage. I had to change this poltice every day.

i think we had to wear a sock around our neck-throat area if we had a sore throat.

these are 2 of i don’t know how many fixers’‘er my grandparents would make us wear for one reason or another.

Respected Contributor

When my kids were small and one of us got a cold, I bought a big bottle of ginger ale, a bottle of cranberry juice, and a jug of orange juice.  Mixed each glassful with 1/3 of each, and the patient drank it for a couple of days.  No one’s cold ever went on long...by the third day, usually, all better or close to it.

The “kids” are in their 40s now, and still swear by this concoction!  Luckily, I haven’t had a cold since I retired almost 6 years ago...but if/when I get one,

I will go to “The Concoction “!

Note....I used diet ginger ale and low sugar cranberry juice most times.

Honored Contributor

Honey and lemon juice.

Honored Contributor

Warm lemon water with Oozo and chicken soup.

Respected Contributor

Re: Home Remedies

[ Edited ]

My best advice is preventive... When you’re at work, never rub/ touch your eyes or nose unless right after washed your hands. Often this is how we infect ourselves.  HTH! 

Respected Contributor

After marrying my DH (who is a bear when he gets a cold) I have to say homemade chicken soup with carrots, celery, onions.  Can't just buy a can of soup, it has to be homemade according to him.  I don't think it staves or prevents colds, just helps the symptoms.

When I was in my 20s, I would do something similar to a hot toddy, usually tea, lemon juice, whiskey and honey and then get under the blankets and sweat it out.