Honored Contributor

Hero scales Paris bldg to rescue dangling child

[ Edited ]

In Paris, a man climbed the outside of a building to rescue a child dangling several stories above:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/man-climbs-paris-balcony-child-hanging-building-flat...

They now know his name, Mamoudou Gassama.  He’s 22, originally from Mali.  He scaled 4 stories in 30 seconds to save the child.

About an hour ago he got to meet French president Macron:

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Hero scales Paris bldg to rescue dangling child

A true hero

Highlighted
Super Contributor

This is a true hero!

Honored Contributor

While yes, I too think he was heroic - I wonder WHY the guy stading on the balconey - easily seen on the video - didn't grab the child or Why didn't someone just go thru the apartment and out the door to the balconey to get the child.

Honored Contributor

He is going to be made a French citizen, and  be given a job, by the French  fire  brigade. I like the idea of rewarding people who do acts of courage and bravery like this. I wish we would do the same thing here..Its over on Daily Mail

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach,

So nice to read, thanks for the post and pics! A true hero!

http://www.commenthaven.com/graphics/memorial-day/5-Remember-our-Heroes.gif

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

While yes, I too think he was heroic - I wonder WHY the guy stading on the balconey - easily seen on the video - didn't grab the child or Why didn't someone just go thru the apartment and out the door to the balconey to get the child.

For this reason I wonder if that was a real child or just a dummy and if this was a set up? I watched the video a few times and the "child" never moves.Doesn't kick it's feet - isn't crying -- odd.

Honored Contributor

Well, it was on GMA this morning, so believe it that it was a real child, @151949

They reported that the other people were prevented from lifting the child because they were blocked by the barrier in the railing.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Well, it was on GMA this morning, so believe it that it was a real child, @151949

They reported that the other people were prevented from lifting the child because they were blocked by the barrier in the railing.

I'm sure that a child that small wasn't in that apartment alone - so why didn't the adult inside just come out thru the door? See - the story just doesn't make sense to me.

Honored Contributor

I know details are still sketchy but it appears the mother was out of town and the father left the child alone in the apartment.  Not sure how the neighbors come into play here but at least they did the best they could to save him before that heroic young man scaled that building.  The father is in custody trying to explain his stupidity to the police.  Jerk.