Respected Contributor

Re: Herman Cain

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

Wonder if some posters would say these things if it was a friend or family member of theirs. 

Of course not! Some people have major hate for people they don't agree with. Why this is continued to be allowed on one side is beyond me. 

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

He often gave me a good chuckle.  I'll never forget his "Nine Nine Nine" although he never would have had my vote.  I'm sorry he made some deadly decisions that caught him and I wonder why he thought he was immune when science should have told him otherwise with his own known health history.  But that is neither here nor there now, he is gone and the dead cannot be shamed.  I am embarrassed for people intent on denying or ignoring why he is dead.  It is that continuance that makes this all worse and if he could speak now, I think he might sing a different tune.  He did enjoy singing, too, didn't he.  Very sad that he gambled and lost.

@Free2be  Speaking only for myself, I am not in denial or ignoring why he died. 

My issue is that I seriously doubt by now that any poster here doesn't "get" wearing/not wearing a mask.

If anybody really "learned a lesson" here by Herman Cain's death, that person was lost a long time ago.

Sometimes a simple RIP is enough without the lectures.

I'm more distubed by the obvious glee some are displaying-and not because of the lack of a mask.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

He often gave me a good chuckle.  I'll never forget his "Nine Nine Nine" although he never would have had my vote.  I'm sorry he made some deadly decisions that caught him and I wonder why he thought he was immune when science should have told him otherwise with his own known health history.  But that is neither here nor there now, he is gone and the dead cannot be shamed.  I am embarrassed for people intent on denying or ignoring why he is dead.  It is that continuance that makes this all worse and if he could speak now, I think he might sing a different tune.  He did enjoy singing, too, didn't he.  Very sad that he gambled and lost.

My issue is that I seriously doubt by now that any poster here doesn't "get" wearing/not wearing a mask.

If anybody really "learned a lesson" here by Herman Cain's death, that person was lost a long time ago.

I'm more distubed by the obvious glee some are displaying-and not because of the lack of a mask.

If someone is in a dangerous profession or does something as a hobby that is dangerous decent people don't say they got what they deserved. A decent person would never go to the funeral of a soldier, firefighter or even drug addict and say they deserved what they got. Decency is lacking these days. 

Honored Contributor

His friend Ellen Carmichael, who also worked for him, had a wonderful series of tweets about him and his "Horatio Alger"-type rise in the world.

Very, very poor.  Dad worked 3 jobs;  Herman and his brother used to argue about who would get the cot to sleep on, and who would have to sleep on the floor.

Had a very significant Naval career.  Loved having the distinction of having been a "Morehouse man".  Quoting her:  "Rose up the ranks of America's biggest corporations, adivised presidential campaigns, chaired a Federal Reserve bank."

His remarkable business acumen caused him to rise up through Coca-Cola, Pillsbury, and Pepsi.  "Turned Godfather's Pizza around from bankruptcy to solvency in fourteen months.... FOURTEEN MONTHS."  (capitals are Ms. Carmichael's).  She says his signature business approach was to "go to the people closest to the problem to solve it".

She wrote something I didn't know-- that he "won the attention and admiration of Jack Kemp" (a personal hero of mine as well, and a sterling American) who flew to Omaha just to meet him.  They became fast friends, worked together.  Herman Cain was almost destroyed when Jack Kemp lost his cancer battle.  He said he fought his own Stage 4 liver and colon cancer so hard because of the inspiration of Jack Kemp.  Beat it into remission.  

She had lots more to say, but bottom-lined it that he was a really good person, who loved his country with his whole heart.

No man's life or death should be so obliterated--  especially practically on the very moment of his passing--  by the kind of gloating and scolding and agendas, and worse, that I have witnessed on Twitter and online generally.  That is not who anyone with decency should want to be.   I am hoping that Herman Cain's loved ones can avoid social media entirely and only meet with the kindness and good sense and good taste from others that should accompany a very recent, difficult death.    

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

^^^^THIS^^^^

Valued Contributor

I hope others learn from Cain's avoidable, intentional exposure to COVID-19. Prior to his attendance at trump's rally he bragged about not wearing a mask and not being concerned about attending events in large crowds, but he signed COVID-19 liability waiver in order to attend trump's rally!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's sad.  I just read about his passing.  We might not have shared much in the way of philosophies, ideology, opinions, but I know and respect the way his parents, and then he, worked hard to achieve a number of laudable accomplishments.  May he rest in peace.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:
This thread is not the time or place to diss Mr. Cain. I can just imagine the clamor if some comments of that ilk were being made on the other memorial thread. ☹

They were made on all the earlier memorial threads, each one closed out, one-by-one, as a result.   It's unfortunate for it to happen, no matter who does it or where it happens or what "side" we are judged to be on. (sigh)   Wish we could erase the line in the sand and be all one side, our side. 😔

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Alas, the camel does not see the hump on its own back.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

His friend Ellen Carmichael, who also worked for him, had a wonderful series of tweets about him and his "Horatio Alger"-type rise in the world.

Very, very poor.  Dad worked 3 jobs;  Herman and his brother used to argue about who would get the cot to sleep on, and who would have to sleep on the floor.

Had a very significant Naval career.  Loved having the distinction of having been a "Morehouse man".  Quoting her:  "Rose up the ranks of America's biggest corporations, adivised presidential campaigns, chaired a Federal Reserve bank."

His remarkable business acumen caused him to rise up through Coca-Cola, Pillsbury, and Pepsi.  "Turned Godfather's Pizza around from bankruptcy to solvency in fourteen months.... FOURTEEN MONTHS."  (capitals are Ms. Carmichael's).  She says his signature business approach was to "go to the people closest to the problem to solve it".

She wrote something I didn't know-- that he "won the attention and admiration of Jack Kemp" (a personal hero of mine as well, and a sterling American) who flew to Omaha just to meet him.  They became fast friends, worked together.  Herman Cain was almost destroyed when Jack Kemp lost his cancer battle.  He said he fought his own Stage 4 liver and colon cancer so hard because of the inspiration of Jack Kemp.  Beat it into remission.  

She had lots more to say, but bottom-lined it that he was a really good person, who loved his country with his whole heart.

No man's life or death should be so obliterated--  especially practically on the very moment of his passing--  by the kind of gloating and scolding and agendas, and worse, that I have witnessed on Twitter and online generally.  That is not who anyone with decency should want to be.   I am hoping that Herman Cain's loved ones can avoid social media entirely and only meet with the kindness and good sense and good taste from others that should accompany a very recent, difficult death.    

@Oznell   ^^^THIS^^^

As always, you are a breath of fresh air.  Some could take a lesson from your kindness and understanding.

You are truly a good person.Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh