Respected Contributor

Re: Here's Why Slow Shipping

The creative ways retailers are trying to sidestep shipping delays, from Home Depot flying in power tools to Walmart chartering smaller ships that can fit into tinier ports.

As record numbers of hulking cargo ships clog ports and threaten the global supply chain, many retailers have been forced to find creative ways to overcome shortages and price hikes.

From hoarding goods to chartering their own vessels and flying in products, retailers have been forced to quickly pivot, scrapping traditional strategies in favor of more expensive ones, as the companies prepare for an onslaught of holiday shopping..

business insider.

https://www.businessinsider.com/creative-ways-retailers-sidestep-shipping-delays-port-backup-2021-9

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

still does not justify why it takes over a week to get things from the warehouse that are in stock 

@jackthebear   IK, right?!

I don't live in a cave and follow the news and the supply/demand/shipping issues are mentioned often...even saying it will get worse before it gets better.

What boggles my mind is how as an example, HSN can ship almost instantaniously compared to QVC...and they are both owned by the same company now. I'm not talking about those items that are clearly mentioned/pre-marked as 'on advance order'...but with other orders I have placed and they would be in 'preparing your order' mode for 2 weeks or more.

In those cases, it must me a warehouse employment issue and less of a shipping delay issue. And if that be the case...HSN doesn't have an employment issue but QVC does? Wish I could be a fly on the wall in some of the QVC warehouses to see QVC's issue...LOL

I am ok with waiting for items and don't mind considering all the circumstances nowadays. I don't need anything that bad where I would get annoyed by it...just curious on some comparisons that do not make sense. All one can do in some cases is guess.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Stores like Target, Walmart and Home Depot have gotten their own ships, smaller ones, that can get into smaller ports so they don't have to go to the Long Beach one.  

@ScrapHappy    Would you please cite the source of your information?  What smaller ports? 

Saw it on CNN yesterday (or day before).

Honored Contributor

If a company is upfront about not having an item in stock and I want to wait for it that is OK but I waited for weeks for some lip balm to ship from QVC and the TSV polar fleece sheets I ordered early and when I went back to check if they shipped it said advance order.  I cancelled the order.  I also ordered some pants from Soft Surroundings that had no info that they would not ship immediately - just checked on them and they are not shipping until the end of October.  Every other company I deal with are upfront about these problems before you order.

Esteemed Contributor

Kohl's sent my phone a 30% coupon just for today. I walked through the store and couldn't find anything I wanted to buy! 
  The discount can't be used on many items and the store was really bare! Aisles were clear and either they are waiting for merchandise or closing!

I didn't purchase anything.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   My comment was about items that were in stock in a QVC Warehouse.  QVC should be able to give an accurate estimated ship date, if the item is in their warehouse, it's only a matter of managing your staff and how many orders they can pull in a day and process a shipping label since the shipping vendors would be making daily if not multiple trips to QVC warehouses per day. 

If the item is at a vendor or on a boat, I'm not suggesting that they can give an estimate ship date.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Regular Contributor

I understand, and  they are using the slow shipping as an excuse to jack up the prices.  That is what I am seeing in the industry overall.  The prices are out of hand. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

The creative ways retailers are trying to sidestep shipping delays, from Home Depot flying in power tools to Walmart chartering smaller ships that can fit into tinier ports.

As record numbers of hulking cargo ships clog ports and threaten the global supply chain, many retailers have been forced to find creative ways to overcome shortages and price hikes.

From hoarding goods to chartering their own vessels and flying in products, retailers have been forced to quickly pivot, scrapping traditional strategies in favor of more expensive ones, as the companies prepare for an onslaught of holiday shopping..

business insider.

https://www.businessinsider.com/creative-ways-retailers-sidestep-shipping-delays-port-backup-2021-9

Thank yer.  They know if they don't have products to sell, they will go out of business.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Occasional Contributor

Shipping has been slow for some time.  It is just getting worse.  They used to have great service.  Now if you want something in a hurry or a timely manner don't use QVC.  It is taking a week to 10 days for them to ship but it stays in limbo for a couple more days before it reaches the carrier.  At this rate,  I will be paying my first easy pay before I get my packages.  They are shipping them out after the estimate delivery date.  I used to get my packages before that date.  QVC you have to do better.  I will not be using them for Christmas shopping because I can't trust them to deliver.

Occasional Contributor

I have had orders cancelled.  I have had them put items on backorder after checkout and making me believe they had the item.  Also other companies are managing to ship out in a timely manner.  QVC is the slowest I deal with and I shop on line al the time.  I normally let it roll but I ordered some storage boxes as I was reorganizing my closet.  I figured I could take the things out and sort through them and the containers would be here and I could use them when they got here.  They are taking so long,  I just used some old bags I had and put things back because I couldn't stand the mess.  I knew they were slow and would take a while but this is too much.  I have had things come faster from China.