Honored Contributor

Re: Helping kids with food insecurity

My friend worked in our high school cafeteria and told me that I can't imagine the kids who don't have money for lunch and that instead of giving the left over food to the kids it had to be thrown away. My friend quit that job and ended up at the next public school board meeting and let them have it. It took years to get those mean, uncaring board members and fool of a superintendent to come up with a plan to feed these kids. It's not just the food, but kids come to school from homes where there is no heat in the winter and they have no clean clothes. Teachers take it upon themselves to bring clean jeans, socks, tops, etc. to offer to the kids.

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

That's not what we're talking about here.

@jonbon 

I read it as "about children and food insecurity"!  Obesity in children borders on an epidemic standard in the United States. If you don't see overweight and undernourished as a "food insecurity"?  We'll have to agree to disagree, because I see it as such.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:
I am of mixed feelings and opinions on this subject.  My experience with caring about the down and out among us opened my eyes and changed my thinking about it.  Not to blow my own horn, but to explain the basis of my hesitancy, I share this bit of background: 

I have been a volunteer for an organization that collected donations from restaurants, grocery stores, banquet halls, pizza shops, bakeries, etc., then delivered them to homeless shelters. 

I have worked in soup kitchens, preparing, serving, and cleaning up afterwards for hundreds. Without question, the vast majority of the recipients of these meals were able bodied males of an average estimated age of 25-35, considerably younger than me.

I have ten years of experience working for two large church offices (800+ congregants).  

Here is some of what I’ve witnessed first-hand:

Recipients are generally savvy people who play the game better than those whose benevolent but naive intention is to help the poor.  They gladly accept the handouts, even ask for another to take back to their sick mother, then walk around the corner and barter them for drugs, alcohol and sex.   Believe me, it happens more often than you know.

There are those whose full-time job it is to take charity.  In the church office(s), there was a regular monthly routine when the phones would start ringing for money, supposedly for utility and rent bills.  We recognized their voices, knew their names, some even had scripts they recited so often we could mouth along with them.  Any one of them could have spent the same time and energy looking for work to support themselves and families, but canvassing for handouts somehow seemed more lucrative or appealing.

Food boxes, filled with food for a family of four for three days, dumped out onto the sidewalk because the contents weren’t what they wanted.  Believe it or not, at one church that offered dinner and overnight shelter to the homeless, one group balked at the menu and actually got on the church phone and ordered pizza for themselves!  

In all my time of volunteer work, I can honestly say that never, not once, did any recipient ever offer to help us or come back to reciprocate in some way, however small.  No one.  Ever. 

Even among the poor of this country, there is a strong sense of entitlement.  Folks have been conditioned to believe they are owed something.  There is a proverb (not biblical) that tells us, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”  The underlying problem, however, is to get him to want to fish when it is ever so much easier if you’d just give him one of yours.  It has been repeatedly reported that there are employers across this country who are begging for workers, but cannot find reliable people willing to  work.  If you spend time talking with men and women whose job takes them inside the residences (most often, First Responders), they will tell you of the large screen televisions, the cable boxes, the iphones, lap tops, etc. that they see regularly.  

In this vein, I am concerned about the generation of children who are growing up being handed free goods, free food, free coats, free computers, even free cell phones.  What are we teaching them?  What kind of future do we expect for them or our nation?  If privileged children are handed everything, while earning none of it, we say it is to their detriment, that they’ll never have an appreciation for earning something.  How are poor children any different in that regard? Surely they are equally deserving of learning the same life lesson! 

There has been a piece in the news about a school that now has a washing machine on premise specifically for children who are coming to school in dirty clothes. We have a generation that has children they cannot support, either financially, physically or psychologically.  Do we think this younger generation has hope for a more productive future because they grew up getting free goods and services their parents, i.e., role models, failed to supply?

If you’ve read to this point, I am fairly sure you see me in a bad light.  Contrary to how it may seem, I truly am not hard-hearted or selfish. I am a Christian who believes in following Christ’s teachings; however, I also believe He believed there are consequences for bad choices.  If you’ve read my posts in the Recipes forum, you are familiar with my appreciation for the blessing of abundant food this country has.  I don’t want anyone to go hungry, and I fully acknowledge there are some who are truly in desperate need.  I just don’t believe we are applying the best policy to handle hunger or poverty in this country.  I also believe we need to incorporate a merit system, a means for earning, free goods.  Maybe these children could be required to establish a good attendance record, or earn better grades, before we send groceries home to their parents who are sitting there waiting for them.  There has to be a better way.

Respectfully, I have seen the antithesis of what you posted here today. The poor in this country are the LEAST ENTITLED.

So we are supposed to starve our children until they "earn" their food? Somehow, I never read that in my bible but whatever let's you sleep at night.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

That's not what we're talking about here.

@jonbon 

I read it as "about children and food insecurity"!  Obesity in children borders on an epidemic standard in the United States. If you don't see overweight and undernourished as a "food insecurity"?  We'll have to agree to disagree, because I see it as such.

hckynut

@hckynut...yes, that goes along with poverty and food insecurity. Cheap starch has always been what the poor can afford to eat. They do not have access to fresh vegetables and quality protein. So this epidemic of overweight children will continue until we find a way to feed and nourish our children....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11  I see it at the food pantry, thrift shops and our soup kitchen

I can recall helping a sweet mother ,with several children , outfit them for school.. She always was able to buy what she needed, with what money she could spare

I used to have instant flash sales, on the items she needed. This let her  save her dignity, buy the clothes, and make her feel, that she was paying her way

When Pres Clinton made the mothers go to work, she had the biggest smile on her face. Why? Because she had a baby with cerebral palsy and , they helped her find a day care for him. She was so proud of herself

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Trinity11  I see it at the food pantry, thrift shops and our soup kitchen

I can recall helping a sweet mother ,with several children , outfit them for school.. She always was able to buy what she needed, with what money she could spare

I used to have instant flash sales, on the items she needed. This let her  save her dignity, buy the clothes, and make her feel, that she was paying her way

When Pres Clinton made the mothers go to work, she had the biggest smile on her face. Why? Because she had a baby with cerebral palsy and , they help her find and day care for him. She was so proud of herself

I am unable to work at our food pantry (I cannot stand for long periods of time) but when I did, I saw the faces of many proud parents only there to feed their children...they wanted nothing for themselves. No one was flaunting cell phones or were the least bit "entitled."

Sometimes just a car needing a major part like a transmission necessary for the principle breadwinner to get to work can cause a week where money is too tight to purchase food. A baby in diapers, a child that needs insulin, job loss, there were so many reasons people needed a little assistance. I saw so much that humbled me and the people I met needing assistance were the salt of the earth, not as they were portrayed in the other post I responded to.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11  some of our people were such fun. There was a middle aged guy, that always told me he hated vegetables, so don't give me any. He said he hated them as a kid, and he still does

He was such a card. I got a needlepoint bag from Clever Carriage and he spotted it and yelled Hey lady, nice bag. He saw me locking it in my trunk and he laughed and said I saw that

We always had day old bakery products for them ,to take home. You know but for the grace of God, it could have been me, or you, needing to rely on the kindness of strangers

Esteemed Contributor

It's very complicated.

I live near a situation.  It's hard for all concerned, but going hungry as a child with no means is sad.

There are many social pressures which seem superfluous, but which are real.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Our soup kitchen is the same as our food pantry. Whomever turned up was fed, no questions asked

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Cakers3  stated  There are also regulations in place for SNAP users who habitually "lose" or "misplace" their cards; the sold cards are tracked so replacement cards can flag fraud now.

No need to sell their card.  They just go with the person they sell them to and buy groceries and get the money or give the card to someone who pays them a lesser price than what is available and give the card back.  There is no real way to track fraud even if the card is habitually misplaced.  The person could have done their shopping anywhere the card was used.  Although they do have a small charge which is to be taken from the person's account after so many cards are replaced.  Doesn't stop them from requesting another though.

@Pook  The fraud can most certainly be tracked.  The SNAP website outlines several ways the govt has been working to reduce fraud, be it trafficking cards or patterns of activity in the stores accepting SNAP.

The good thing is that fraud and waste has been significantly reduced.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh