Respected Contributor

Re: Helping kids with food insecurity

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:
I am of mixed feelings and opinions on this subject.  My experience with caring about the down and out among us opened my eyes and changed my thinking about it.  Not to blow my own horn, but to explain the basis of my hesitancy, I share this bit of background: 

I have been a volunteer for an organization that collected donations from restaurants, grocery stores, banquet halls, pizza shops, bakeries, etc., then delivered them to homeless shelters. 

I have worked in soup kitchens, preparing, serving, and cleaning up afterwards for hundreds. Without question, the vast majority of the recipients of these meals were able bodied males of an average estimated age of 25-35, considerably younger than me.

I have ten years of experience working for two large church offices (800+ congregants).  

Here is some of what I’ve witnessed first-hand:

Recipients are generally savvy people who play the game better than those whose benevolent but naive intention is to help the poor.  They gladly accept the handouts, even ask for another to take back to their sick mother, then walk around the corner and barter them for drugs, alcohol and sex.   Believe me, it happens more often than you know.

There are those whose full-time job it is to take charity.  In the church office(s), there was a regular monthly routine when the phones would start ringing for money, supposedly for utility and rent bills.  We recognized their voices, knew their names, some even had scripts they recited so often we could mouth along with them.  Any one of them could have spent the same time and energy looking for work to support themselves and families, but canvassing for handouts somehow seemed more lucrative or appealing.

Food boxes, filled with food for a family of four for three days, dumped out onto the sidewalk because the contents weren’t what they wanted.  Believe it or not, at one church that offered dinner and overnight shelter to the homeless, one group balked at the menu and actually got on the church phone and ordered pizza for themselves!  

In all my time of volunteer work, I can honestly say that never, not once, did any recipient ever offer to help us or come back to reciprocate in some way, however small.  No one.  Ever. 

Even among the poor of this country, there is a strong sense of entitlement.  Folks have been conditioned to believe they are owed something.  There is a proverb (not biblical) that tells us, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”  The underlying problem, however, is to get him to want to fish when it is ever so much easier if you’d just give him one of yours.  It has been repeatedly reported that there are employers across this country who are begging for workers, but cannot find reliable people willing to  work.  If you spend time talking with men and women whose job takes them inside the residences (most often, First Responders), they will tell you of the large screen televisions, the cable boxes, the iphones, lap tops, etc. that they see regularly.  

In this vein, I am concerned about the generation of children who are growing up being handed free goods, free food, free coats, free computers, even free cell phones.  What are we teaching them?  What kind of future do we expect for them or our nation?  If privileged children are handed everything, while earning none of it, we say it is to their detriment, that they’ll never have an appreciation for earning something.  How are poor children any different in that regard? Surely they are equally deserving of learning the same life lesson! 

There has been a piece in the news about a school that now has a washing machine on premise specifically for children who are coming to school in dirty clothes. We have a generation that has children they cannot support, either financially, physically or psychologically.  Do we think this younger generation has hope for a more productive future because they grew up getting free goods and services their parents, i.e., role models, failed to supply?

If you’ve read to this point, I am fairly sure you see me in a bad light.  Contrary to how it may seem, I truly am not hard-hearted or selfish. I am a Christian who believes in following Christ’s teachings; however, I also believe He believed there are consequences for bad choices.  If you’ve read my posts in the Recipes forum, you are familiar with my appreciation for the blessing of abundant food this country has.  I don’t want anyone to go hungry, and I fully acknowledge there are some who are truly in desperate need.  I just don’t believe we are applying the best policy to handle hunger or poverty in this country.  I also believe we need to incorporate a merit system, a means for earning, free goods.  Maybe these children could be required to establish a good attendance record, or earn better grades, before we send groceries home to their parents who are sitting there waiting for them.  There has to be a better way.

You seem to have such contempt for the poor right down to saying that you are concerned about poor children being handed free food. You mention people in the church office of all places mocking people who call in for help. And then throw in these  people have large screen TVs, laptops etc. Well i was one of those case workers who visited in the housing projects and poor neighborhoods. I never met one peron who wanted to raise their child in poverty. Maybe they didn't always make this best decisions but most loved their children and tried to the best of their ability to climb out of the cycle of poverty. it's not easy. I can't imagine what it must be like to ask for help to feed and clothe your chld and have to be looked upon with such judgement and scorn. 

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG   Your post rang true to me because I have seen what you discussed.  I have also seen the opposite. IMHO, there is not only 1 side to this situation; there are many. There are those that take advantage and know how to play the system; to say there isn't is to be foolish. Because of those who do, there are MANY who will never receive the assistance they truly need. But isn't that true in EVERY aspect of life?

There is no quick or easy fix. This problem is everywhere: big city, tiny rural community in the mountains, backwoods in the south, among the Plains out west.

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:
I am of mixed feelings and opinions on this subject.  My experience with caring about the down and out among us opened my eyes and changed my thinking about it.  Not to blow my own horn, but to explain the basis of my hesitancy, I share this bit of background: 

I have been a volunteer for an organization that collected donations from restaurants, grocery stores, banquet halls, pizza shops, bakeries, etc., then delivered them to homeless shelters. 

I have worked in soup kitchens, preparing, serving, and cleaning up afterwards for hundreds. Without question, the vast majority of the recipients of these meals were able bodied males of an average estimated age of 25-35, considerably younger than me.

I have ten years of experience working for two large church offices (800+ congregants).  

Here is some of what I’ve witnessed first-hand:

Recipients are generally savvy people who play the game better than those whose benevolent but naive intention is to help the poor.  They gladly accept the handouts, even ask for another to take back to their sick mother, then walk around the corner and barter them for drugs, alcohol and sex.   Believe me, it happens more often than you know.

There are those whose full-time job it is to take charity.  In the church office(s), there was a regular monthly routine when the phones would start ringing for money, supposedly for utility and rent bills.  We recognized their voices, knew their names, some even had scripts they recited so often we could mouth along with them.  Any one of them could have spent the same time and energy looking for work to support themselves and families, but canvassing for handouts somehow seemed more lucrative or appealing.

Food boxes, filled with food for a family of four for three days, dumped out onto the sidewalk because the contents weren’t what they wanted.  Believe it or not, at one church that offered dinner and overnight shelter to the homeless, one group balked at the menu and actually got on the church phone and ordered pizza for themselves!  

In all my time of volunteer work, I can honestly say that never, not once, did any recipient ever offer to help us or come back to reciprocate in some way, however small.  No one.  Ever. 

Even among the poor of this country, there is a strong sense of entitlement.  Folks have been conditioned to believe they are owed something.  There is a proverb (not biblical) that tells us, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”  The underlying problem, however, is to get him to want to fish when it is ever so much easier if you’d just give him one of yours.  It has been repeatedly reported that there are employers across this country who are begging for workers, but cannot find reliable people willing to  work.  If you spend time talking with men and women whose job takes them inside the residences (most often, First Responders), they will tell you of the large screen televisions, the cable boxes, the iphones, lap tops, etc. that they see regularly.  

In this vein, I am concerned about the generation of children who are growing up being handed free goods, free food, free coats, free computers, even free cell phones.  What are we teaching them?  What kind of future do we expect for them or our nation?  If privileged children are handed everything, while earning none of it, we say it is to their detriment, that they’ll never have an appreciation for earning something.  How are poor children any different in that regard? Surely they are equally deserving of learning the same life lesson! 

There has been a piece in the news about a school that now has a washing machine on premise specifically for children who are coming to school in dirty clothes. We have a generation that has children they cannot support, either financially, physically or psychologically.  Do we think this younger generation has hope for a more productive future because they grew up getting free goods and services their parents, i.e., role models, failed to supply?

If you’ve read to this point, I am fairly sure you see me in a bad light.  Contrary to how it may seem, I truly am not hard-hearted or selfish. I am a Christian who believes in following Christ’s teachings; however, I also believe He believed there are consequences for bad choices.  If you’ve read my posts in the Recipes forum, you are familiar with my appreciation for the blessing of abundant food this country has.  I don’t want anyone to go hungry, and I fully acknowledge there are some who are truly in desperate need.  I just don’t believe we are applying the best policy to handle hunger or poverty in this country.  I also believe we need to incorporate a merit system, a means for earning, free goods.  Maybe these children could be required to establish a good attendance record, or earn better grades, before we send groceries home to their parents who are sitting there waiting for them.  There has to be a better way.

You seem to have such contempt for the poor right down to saying that you are concerned about poor children being handed free food. You mention people in the church office of all places mocking people who call in for help. And then throw in these  people have large screen TVs, laptops etc. Well i was one of those case workers who visited in the housing projects and poor neighborhoods. I never met one peron who wanted to raise their child in poverty. Maybe they didn't always make the best decisions but most loved their children and tried to the best of their ability to climb out of the cycle of poverty. it's not easy. I can't imagine what it must be like to ask for help to feed and clothe your chld and have to be looked upon with such judgement and scorn. 

THIS    

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

In this day and age, especially living here in Silicon Valley ot is hard to imagine poverty.  But it is rampant.  Much of it is well hidden.  I had a food program for many years, and it sure opened my eyes.  I feel so badly for the few children who have parents who are drug or alcohol addicted, they are abused, ignored. And often left unfed, kids are amazingly self sufficient when need be.  They go to places where other kids have after school snacks, they show up during dinner, lunch, breakfast on the way to school.  There are a few kids who have parents who can't  even function outside themselves to bother to sign their kids up for food programs at school. It is teachers who are observant and notify principal...thank God.  

there are parents who work a few jobs, and can barely pay rent and buy gas if they have a car.  Sometimes washing clothes at a Laundromat  can cost a few days  got that way.  food!  It is a fight every day. No child should have to worry about eating. We think they are picky, but believe me those that are really hungry eat.what they are given.  My grandkids were the picky ones. They wouldn't eat lunch because they didn't like it.   I don't know how they got that way.  Three of my grands are like that!!!  The other five eat everything, within reason.  I never have a problem. But those three.... They need to go hungry, really hungry to see what it is like, lol.  Hopefully they will grow out of it

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last night the Passion was read out at mass. ....I always feel such guilt when I hear it read..I know I don't do anywhere  enough, but, may it please God, I try to do it with charity toward others

I just want to add, at our soup kitchen we get everyone,I have never seen all males. We have entire families.

But, even if it were only males .and no one else, they would still be fed. Christ fed the multitude ,and everyone ate their fill. It didn't matter who...When it rains the rain falls on everyone's fields, the just. and the unjust ,alike

I shudder to think of the times in my life, I would have been  considered the unjust..if you are going to pay it forward, try to do it with a greatful heart.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On paper and in theory these things look good but the only real solution to the problem is finding these children that are not being cared for properly, identifying why and getting help for those who genuinely don't know where to go for help, educating the parents and mandating classes to teach them how to manage money and prepare meals to care for their children or to remove these children who are abused.  Until that happens giving out snacks, backpacks of food, etc will only allow these issues to continue and parents  to not have to be accountable for their children.  Maybe some of you will step up to foster these children and work with their parents.  Giving them food is only a bandaid and what is needed is a long term fix.

Honored Contributor

How easily will that work? People resent handing out food to them. I can just hear the screams if our tax dollars was used for this purpose

When they were given phones , a needed  and useful tool, people screamed blue murder, like the president was handing out the Crown Jewels

How do you know who has fostered ,and who hasn't? Don't make assumptions. It seems to me that you are incensed that people are doing what they can, to feed the hungry?

I will do what I can ,when I can, as I have for years. I don't care who likes it ,nor do I want thanks from anyone, for it.

Honored Contributor

@cherry  Most things worthwhile are not easy but with children involved necessary!  That is what everyone should be working for instead of just hoping that the food packages will help at least 1 child!  Give the food but contact legislators for help with the issue.  The children are more than worth it. 

How do you know I haven't donated or help put together food packages for these children?  You don't know!   I would never deny a child food even if their parents were negligent!  But that won't solve the problem that is a growing one.  It's better to put money into a resolution than to keep hoping what is now being done is helping.  The rich can just hire nannies to do what they should but those who don't have money or a clue about parenting or put themselves first can be helped to learn to use resources now readily available to provide nourishing food for their children.  There is no excuse for anyone living beyond their means when making a decent living to need their children fed by others.  If they know they could potentially loose their children more might step up and start being real parents!  I have seen it happen when parenting classes were mandated by Child Protective Services.  Many struggle but then have an Ah Ha moment and actually become rather good parents.  If they don't know how to take care of their children then teaching them how is the best solution.  And sure it won't work in all cases but probably more children will benefit from it.  

Honored Contributor

I am glad to hear you feed the hungry. I don't judge the lifestyle of others. The woman was bipolar in the family, I was acquainted with

I am not about to decide how everyone can live. It simply isn't my call. If I knew a child was being abused ,I would notify the police

These children were not abused. Life has never been easy or fair ,and it never will be

I will do what I can, and what I do costs no one 1 cent. I am not eager to have the gov decide how everyone can live. We survive by donations

We are not in a communist country thank heavens.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I am glad to hear you feed the hungry. I don't judge the lifestyle of others. The woman was bipolar in the family, I was acquainted with

I am not about to decide how everyone can live. It simply isn't my call. If I knew a child was being abused ,I would notify the police

These children were not abused. Life has never been easy or fair ,and it never will be

I will do what I can, and what I do costs no one 1 cent. I am not eager to have the gov decide how everyone can live. We survive by donations

We are not in a communist country thank heavens.

Cherry...........you are a woman of spirit and faith who walks her talk. While some may live in resentment, fear and hate, you live in the spirit of love and generosity. You are truly blessed.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown