Honored Contributor

Re: Helpful Bra Sizing Tips That I Discovered

I have had several bra fittings at Nordstrom with very good results.  I wear different sizes in different brands of bras and even same brand but different styles.  My bras are underwire and not uncomfortable at all.  I could sleep in them!

Respected Contributor

@dex  I have the same issue and use padded underwires.  The full cups, not the demis.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack wrote:

When I come back next time, I've already put my order in for the itty bitty club! 34 or 36 DDD, skinny everywhere else. Go figure. Guys have asked me on the golf course how I golf with them, lol, I think they're fishing to find out if I've had them forever, I have. I like Wacoal, some Bali, but 99% of the time I wear an Ahh Bra over my regular bra to minimize. I am the same age as @catwhisperer and @Mz iMac, and am waiting for them to lose some density (no children). 

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I wouldn't be lol'ing with those jerks.

But I might inquire about the size of their prostates.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@dex wrote:

How do you choose a bra for breasts that have no fullness left?I can get implants but that is about the only option that I can see.

@dex

I don't believe so.  I remember years ago Tina Turna stated on 60 Minutes that she never got breast implants.  She had them placed back to where they belongs.  When the interviewer asked what she meant, Tina stated that she had no fullness causing her breasts to look like sag saddles.

However, I don't remember her saying what the doctor did to make them full again w/o implants.

Perhaps you should ask a plastic surgeon about "alternatives."

Had a friend that had a breast lift and the doc somehow took extra skin underneath, made a harness type of structure with the skin. Removed excess skin and pulled it up with other skin. He pulled them up and out. They look great and fuller.

Honored Contributor

@segrl21@That sounds like a lot of work for the surgeon and a lot of recovery for me.I think I will just find a gel bra or something all padded up and forget about it.

Respected Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

This is helpful, thanks!  Quite unexpectedly, I am growing in this area post-menopause, despite no weight gain elsewhere.  I find it disturbing and uncomfortable (my gyno says there is no reason to be alarmed medically) and am having a lot of trouble finding bras to fit after being the same size for most of my adult life.  I guess it's back to the fitting room for me . . . .

@Suzeecat, I know what you are referring to. I started "growing" after menopause too. For me, turned out to be due to one of the medications that I take. My gyn told me that this was quite common. However, my bre@sts are not as dense as they used to be, so as I mentioned in my original post, I was able to size down by going to a larger cup size. Good luck to you.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Two more things I'd like to add .....

If you google "bra size calculator", several will come up.   When you enter your measurements, the bra sizes won't all be the same.

Also, not every "bra fitter" knows what the heck they are doing.  (don't get me started on the idiot I dealt with!)

We hear it thrown around that 80% of women are wearing the wrong bra size.   Frankly, with all the conflicting information out there, I'm really impressed that 20% of women were able to get it right!  lol

Tinkrbl44, I know what you are saying. Several years ago, I was measured twice in the same day by professional bra fitters (I think Nordstrom's and Macy's). One came up as a 36-C, and the other came up as a 32-DDD with an extra bra extender added. It was very frustrating.

As you said, it's no wonder that 80% of the women wear the wrong size bra. I'd like to see this research study to determine the validity and reliability of it.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

This is when I'm so glad I'm small chested. I have no problem finding a bra to wear as long as it is just a natural cup. No padding, no foam cups I just like to wear the stretchy cups that conform to my shape. I can easily get by with wearing a natural bralette. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Last week, I had to go shopping for a strapless bra. I am 66 years old, but the bra straps were going to show through the dress I had to wear to an event. OMG, how uncomfortable! I could barely breathe with that thing on.

I normally rip my bra off the minute I walk in the door. Having large breasts is bad enough, but I have very prominent "headlights" too (sorry to sound crude), so I have to wear covers over them. I've thought about breast reduction, but at 66, a plastic surgeon would probably laugh at me. Who knows?

I guess it's like hair...we are never satisfied with what God gave us.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

This is when I'm so glad I'm small chested. I have no problem finding a bra to wear as long as it is just a natural cup. No padding, no foam cups I just like to wear the stretchy cups that conform to my shape. I can easily get by with wearing a natural bralette. Woman Happy

ID2, I envy the fact that you can wear a bralette. I've always wished I were small on top because I am very small on the bottom. I wear an XL on top and a S or M on bottom. Crazy, huh?