Frequent Contributor

Re: Helpful Bra Sizing Tips That I Discovered

@Brinklii wrote:

Ladies, I recently did a ton of research on bra sizing. I can't point to one site, because I probably checked out every site and article that I could find online. Anyway, these are some good points that I learned:

1. Most of you probably already know that you do not wear the same size bra in every brand.

2. Different brand bras want you to measure differently...some measure above the bre@st and some measure below the bre@st for cup size. You can actually measure a different cup size because of this.

3. The density of your breast will affect the fit of your bra. Jockey makes a bra fit cup with 10 plastic cups that you can use to measure the "volume" of your breast. The kit costs $20; however, they will apply that $20 to the first bra you purchase from them. Unfortunately, they only sell four bras.

4. Probably the most helpful tip for me (full breasted), was that for each increase in cup size (e.g. from C to D), you can generally go down one band size (e.g. from 40 to 38). I was needing a 40-D and learned that I can wear a 36-DDD...and it fits great! It actually does a much better job of separating my bre@sts, and the middle of the bra lies right at my sternum instead of floating above my sternum. The elastic band in back is right where it should be...does not ride up. Also, no "double bubble" (to quote the Breezies' lady. More importantly, I look much better in that size.

5. I learned that a DDD cup is equal to a F cup, and DDDD is equal to a G cup. I had never heard of a G cup, but I found them online, and Kohl's actually carries a few. I live in a small city and have very few places to shop for clothing.

Hope some of these tips help a little in that frustrating task of finding the correct bra size...and one that makes you look good.

thank you @Yardlie!

Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Two more things I'd like to add .....

If you google "bra size calculator", several will come up.   When you enter your measurements, the bra sizes won't all be the same.

Also, not every "bra fitter" knows what the heck they are doing.  (don't get me started on the idiot I dealt with!)

We hear it thrown around that 80% of women are wearing the wrong bra size.   Frankly, with all the conflicting information out there, I'm really impressed that 20% of women were able to get it right!  lol

Tinkrbl44, I know what you are saying. Several years ago, I was measured twice in the same day by professional bra fitters (I think Nordstrom's and Macy's). One came up as a 36-C, and the other came up as a 32-DDD with an extra bra extender added. It was very frustrating.

As you said, it's no wonder that 80% of the women wear the wrong size bra. I'd like to see this research study to determine the validity and reliability of it.

@Yardlie

LOL .... and in the same day I was told that I was both a 36DDD and a 40A!    Bit of a difference, wouldn't you say?

If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they come up with a foolproof bra sizer calculation method?

Esteemed Contributor

I had a bra fitting several years ago and the best tip I learned was to buy a bra that fit best in the 1st hook closure and move to the next 2 hooks to get the most wear from your bras.
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee I just did a quick search of size 30DD bras at Her Room and got 6 pages of bras in that size. They ran the full range from regular bras to strapless bras to sports bras. They have solids as well as patterns and the prices range from $25 to $80 or higher. Their website is www.herroom.com.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I just wish I could find A BRA that comes close to my size....30dd. I aways have to get the 32 altered to fit me. Real drag.Smiley Frustrated

@SilleeMee, I can appreciate that. For the longest time I was a 38A. The sales ladies would always insist that I must be a 38B... right up until they measured me... and then they would just walk away saying that I would have to make do with a 38B... lol, not helpful.

@Yardlie, thank you for sharing your bra sizing tips. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I have always been bigger around my torso even when I was skinnier.  I need a bra that is at least a 40 around.  Cups could be a B or C.  No matter what I do I can't find one that fits right.  I've pretty much given up and as many of you, it's the first thing off when I come home. 

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

I never put my bra on forward facing as in lola's diagram.  Always start with the closures in the front, twist it around and then *enter*.

Honored Contributor

Be glad you aren't me - i had a large lumpectomy removing about half the tissue on the rt side - I now need a B cup on one side and a D on the other side. I used to wear a prosthesis but it makes me too hot since menopause so now I just buy a C cup and make do.One side is sticking out the side and the othewr cup is loose. I'm ready to have them both chopped off and wear t shirts.