Regular Contributor

Friend turned MK representative-not the same.

One of my friends/neighbors announced 5 days ago she is now a MK consultant and since then she is not the same person.  She acts different, talks different. In those last 5 days she has contacted me every single day to "help her meet her goal of...." as well as her manager has contacted me.  I have been asked to sit and listen for 15 minutes about how I can too be a MK rep (not interested at all but I did that to help) and to go to meetings to help her attain goal X (no) and to get a facial for her training to reach goal X (to which I said no).  Anyone who knows me knows that I do not go to or have those parties, they also know that I am loving the skincare I have been using for years and no interest in changing and they also know I would never want to be any kind of consultant for any of those types of home businesses.  Ever.  On one hand she says not to feel obligated but on the other hand when I tell her no it's like she just ignores me.  She wanted me to go to a meeting w/her tonight after work that is held over an hour away from my house.  I told her no the first time she mentioned it and yet she texts me to let me know what time, etc. and that she will be doing a facial on me as well!  O M G.  I again told her that I was not going, that I felt it was best for her to take someone w/her who is interested in MK and that I am not and that she already knows I am not interested in the product.   And she keeps coming back w/this help me reach my goal of......I saw the boxes of MK delivered to her house-they were stacked up and almost as tall as her-she's about 5"5"!  This is not how she would normally act towards me.  She is a smart, pretty lady.  I do wish the best for her in this endeavor but I'm afraid that this will strain and/or end our friendship.  Any suggestions on how I can keep that from happening? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Friend turned MK representative-not the same.

Sorry I couldn't read the entire post because it's all smooshed together in one paragraph, but as to the thread title and first sentences - Yeah, MK is like a lot of pyramid scheme type businesses in that it's pretty cultish.  That's how they keep people buying as much as possible.

Respected Contributor

As WendyWilliams would say "Use your pinky finger" and tell her you don't appreciate being pressured by her sales tactics and that you miss her as a FRIEND. 

Honored Contributor

Just say, "I want to remain a good friend, however, I can't do MK stuff with you, so other than that, I'm sure you understand." If she starts in on MK blah blah blah, just say, see, that's what I mean, that's the stuff. Walk away.  She can either call to you and apologize and say ok to your terms, or not. JMHO

Honored Contributor

Your friend sounds kind of scary.

Honored Contributor

What or who is MK?  Mary Kay?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Every time she pressures you, tell her how concerned you are about her association with MK and refer her to either the 2012 Forbes article entitled Mary Kay Preys on Women or to the pink truth site.  Your friend's recruiter/sales director will recoil in horror and may tell your friend to leave you alone.  Your friend is being put under tremendous pressure and I feel for her.  Is she in dire straits that she needs the $$?

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

What is MK? I don't think it's Michael Kors. I didn't think Mary Kay was even still around. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

If you say "yes" once, which you already did, she'll take that as a green light and bug you forever.  You must be more emphatic.  Apparently she's reading your voice to mean "maybe".  Don't waver.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I remember years ago my best friend at the time, was taken in by Amway.  I thought I would help her by purchasing some things, however when I asked how much each item cost, she wouldn't tell me. I guess that it was part of the deal, cost is not important because the product is so superior, blah, blah , blah. II told her price was important to me, and I wouldn't buy without knowing. It took awhile but the spell wore off, and she and Amway parted company.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan