Frequent Contributor

I recently ordered a purse and never received it.  The tracking says delivered to parcel locker 1 day ago.  For anyone that doesn't know what a parcel locker is, I have a p.o. box at the post office.  When a package is too big for the box, the clerk will put the package in a parcel locker and put the key to the parcel locker in my p.o. box.  Well, I never received the key.  

When I went to the post office today, they couldn't find my package.  They checked all the parcel lockers and surrounding p.o. boxes and nothing.  The supervisor told me he will check with the clerk tomorrow and get back to me.  He said to let the vendor know and to put a claim in.  The package was insured for $100.00, but not the full $153.00 that I paid for the purse.  The supervisor also said the clerk made a mistake because she didn't log the package into the log in sheet.  So she didn't do protocol.

My question is, did I just lose my money?  The $53.00 that wasn't insured?  The seller is not being helpful at all.  Will ebay consider this NOT my fault and reimburse me, even though the tracking says delivered?

HELP PLEASE!

Honored Contributor

I think your claim is with the post office, not EBay.

Honored Contributor

I would take all receipts and documentation you had emailed to you from the purchase and file a claim with the Post Office.  I know you have to provide a receipt so that should not be a problem.  Especially if she did not follow the correct procedure for the delivery.  The Seller seems to have done all they were required to do.  Good Luck.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Isnt the sender responsible for filing a claim for lost packages?   Was it insured? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If you used PayPal to make your purchase then Paypal will refund you the money if you don't recieve the goods.

Honored Contributor

@Pitzel wrote:

I recently ordered a purse and never received it.  The tracking says delivered to parcel locker 1 day ago.  For anyone that doesn't know what a parcel locker is, I have a p.o. box at the post office.  When a package is too big for the box, the clerk will put the package in a parcel locker and put the key to the parcel locker in my p.o. box.  Well, I never received the key.  

When I went to the post office today, they couldn't find my package.  They checked all the parcel lockers and surrounding p.o. boxes and nothing.  The supervisor told me he will check with the clerk tomorrow and get back to me.  He said to let the vendor know and to put a claim in.  The package was insured for $100.00, but not the full $153.00 that I paid for the purse.  The supervisor also said the clerk made a mistake because she didn't log the package into the log in sheet.  So she didn't do protocol.

My question is, did I just lose my money?  The $53.00 that wasn't insured?  The seller is not being helpful at all.  Will ebay consider this NOT my fault and reimburse me, even though the tracking says delivered?

HELP PLEASE!

I sell on eBay.... you Seller is required to refund you the entire amount of the purse!  Then HE/SHE goes and contacts USPS to get their refund. Buying insurance is the responsibility of the SELLER and not the buyer!  The seller shorting the value of the insurance is a risk the SELLER takes.  If you do not get a full refund including initial shipping costs....  open a dispute with eBay on this Seller.  Save all information you have, all paperwork (if you have any), all email, etc.  Also, if you talk to the seller maintain a very professionl attitude but be firm in knowing what I'm telling you.  Ebay looks at all the messages back and forth in a dispute~!

Very good luck~!  I'm sorry this has happened to you.... but it is the Seller's responsibility to get an item TO YOU, and him/her getting enough nsurance to cover a problem is the Seller's problem~!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Your responsibility is to contact the Seller.... do not go to the Post Office. The Seller needs to make the situation right for you and then they deal with the Post Office.

I've done this several times.... I immediately refund the buyer all expenses they paid for the sale including initial shipping.... then I deal with the Post Office.  The Seller can make a claim with USPS on line.  It's not hard (unless they've shorted their own insurance refund)..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Someone at the post office had to scan your package into that parcel locker so it's there at the post office somewhere and they (the post office) needs to find it....it couldn't of just automatically changed from in transit to delivered without a scan....make them find it.

Respected Contributor

I've been buying from eBay since 2003 and recently became a new seller.

From what I understand, it's the seller's responsibility to insure the item for the full value. Therefore, I believe you will get reimbursed the full amount if USPS cannot locate the purse.

Further, USPS has acknowledged that they did not follow protocol and that you did not actually receive the purse even if tracking says 'delivered'. Get all this in writing in either an email or in a letter etc. With this you can prove that the item was not received. Send the seller a copy so she can put in a claim as needed.

However, I believe that USPS will ultimately find the purse. If not, they have a thief on their hands or they placed the package in another locker and another postal customer got the package. Either way, they will need to do an investigation and I strongly suggest you demand one.

I know the names of several supervisors at my post office as well as the direct number and I have had them send out workers at 8 pm when a package was supposedly delivered (but not in my box) to come look for it. It was found delivered to the apt building next door. I would of never gotten it if I was not on top of the tracking and had no prior relationship with the supervisor. 

I also strongly suggest you no longer ship packages to a P.O. Box after this. Have it shipped to your physical address and miss delivery so that the package must be taken to the post office to be held. This seems a much safer bet; I've never had a package go missing. 

Lastly, call eBay to get what transpired on the record. Be cordial in all your communications with the seller. If you must, open a case against the seller if she doesn't cooperate but only after speaking to eBay and trying to resolve it. From all the info you provided, I'm confident you will win the case and get fully reimbursed. 

~Live with Intention~
Trusted Contributor

You should receive a full refund.  It's the seller's responsibility to file a claim, not you.