Honored Contributor

Re: Help With Facebook Behavior, please.

@Q4u wrote:

I believe it's as said.... to increase the overall "friends" on your page to make you look extremely successful (especially if your page is geared toward promoting your business and of course to just generally look really, really popular).....

I don't know anyone who would do this with a personal account. What would be the point of that? Do you measure anyone's success by the number of friends or Facebook friends someone has? Do you know anyone who does?  I don't know anyone who finds value in that number.

To look really, really popular? The average Facebook user is between 24 and 39 and no one I know cared about that after high school. The people who care about numbers and popularity are on Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.

If it's a business they might do that, but they can also pay a cheap fee to a third party and get hundreds or thousands of followers instantly. There's a whole market for that kind of thing, so no need to go look up individuals and hope they accept your request.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I believe it's as said.... to increase the overall "friends" on your page to make you look extremely successful (especially if your page is geared toward promoting your business and of course to just generally look really, really popular).....

I don't know anyone who would do this with a personal account. What would be the point of that? Do you measure anyone's success by the number of friends or Facebook friends someone has? Do you know anyone who does?  I don't know anyone who finds value in that number.

To look really, really popular? The average Facebook user is between 24 and 39 and no one I know cared about that after high school. The people who care about numbers and popularity are on Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.

If it's a business they might do that, but they can also pay a cheap fee to a third party and get hundreds or thousands of followers instantly. There's a whole market for that kind of thing, so no need to go look up individuals and hope they accept your request.

Then..... why bother???  Why then does Facebook have friends of friends of friends beseige your account?

What then is the point to all the friends??  (as was asked initially?)

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u, Thank you for the wonderful smile and warmth you gave me.  

So glad you found someone dear to you!

Honored Contributor

I taught about 20,000 high school students!  I don't want to be rude or hurt anyone's feelings, but I did have some regular visitors (girls and guys), who were proud to have me come to weddings after college where they would visit me on breaks) then they brought me their babies!  Those I will accept.  We've been connected for years!  

Others this has been the first connection!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

Then..... why bother???  Why then does Facebook have friends of friends of friends beseige your account?

What then is the point to all the friends??  (as was asked initially?)

To connect with people. That is the entire point of Facebook. Facebook is to connect with people and everyone you are friends with right now started off as someone you did not know. I feel like sometimes people forget that.

I've reconnected on Facebook with my best friends from summer camp, people who never lived near me and I only saw once a year and last saw 20 years ago. One of them friended me and then all the others noticed and reconnected. Several of them have come to Austin for vacation or business and I've gone out to lunch or dinner with them and it was like time hadn't passed at all. 

A friend I know in real life connected me to one of her Facebook friends and now that person and I talk all the time because we have so much in common. I think we're now even closer to each other than either of us are to the friend who originally introduced us.

A woman I've never met connected with me after moving to Dallas from Philadelphia. I live in Austin, hours away, but she found me because we posted in the same groups and have a lot of things in common. She messages me frequently to share things with me or even ask advice.

Honored Contributor

There are as many reasons to send Friend requests as there are users of FB.  There is no definitive "THIS is why EVERYONE sends EVERY Friend request.

1) To harvest/canvas for their business

2) To gather Contacts for money-making opportunities

3) To win the Neener-Neener I Have the Most Friends    

sweepstakes

4) To get co-players for FB games

5) Because they know you IRL

6) Because they saw you as Friend of Friend and like your

7) Because they think you have common interests

8) Because they think they're supposed to Friend every single human they have ever run into anywhere who might be on FB.

You need to figure out which apply. UNfriending, BTW is accomplished by a single click and the person never knows.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Then in my case the point of Facebook worked in that I was able to connect with someone I'd lost track of over the years, and was able to re-connect, for which I am very grateful....  and I understand that many, many people just love everything about it but I still just can't say I do.  I guess it's mainly because I don't want to spend so much time doing so..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Facebook to keep up with out of state cousins, friends, church contacts, and former co-workers now that I am retired.  I know people who have thousands of friends.  Nobody knows that many people.  It's all for show I think.

I have fewer than 100 Facebook friends now.  About four or five months ago, I un-friended about 50 people because many of the things they posted or shared were politically charged and that is not what I signed up for. 

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack

@MaggieMack wrote:

I have a FB account, but have never posted one update. It is for my use only. I have gotten friend requests from old boyfriends, just no! If I wanted to be your friend on FB, you would already be my friend in real life!

b827c2ef996d67dc6f7f0799f243a21c.jpg (236×236)

Trusted Contributor

I dont even use my real name on Facebook. I didnt even know people used thier real names when I signed up. I received many requests from strangers and friends of friends but learned quick to engage my privacy options. I keep up with some classmates and friends from TV, Africa, some Native American organizations etc. I have also unfriended many for being too political, religious and posting things of that nature on my page. I tell those types they can use their own page to rant on whatever but my page is for me and if I want opinions only then will I ask. Have reconnected and found a biological brother and a biological sister I have never met as all 11 of us were given up at birth. I hope to meet them sometime soon in person. Easy answer just friend those you want to friend and ignore the others.