Honored Contributor

Re: Help Me With Tips TO Save Money-Please????

The price of groceries seems to vary greatly depending on where you live, but checking out the weekly ads can really save you some money...I also plan what I make for dinner and lunch much of the time depending on what is on sale.....
Honored Contributor

@buyornot 

Assuming your grandchildren don't live with you?  How often do they eat at your house? $800 a month on groceries is a lot.  Shop at Walmart.  Why pay, for example, a $1 more for Tide elsewhere.  It adds up.  Buy in bulk.  Look at Sams, Costco.  Look for specials and stock up.  

Cut back on expensive meats.  Even hamburger is way over priced.  Eat less red meat and buy more fresh chicken and turkey.  It's better for you, too.  

Stay away from higher priced prepackaged prepared foods.  

Try out lower priced store brands.  Some are very good.  Others, not so much.  Walmart's canned vegetables and fruits are very good.

For goodies, go early to Walmart or any local grocery store for soon to expire cakes, cookies, breads, you name it, on racks usually at the back of the store.   Freeze when you get home.  Never bought anything that wasn't fresh. 

Use coupons.  

Rather than eating out, cooking at home is much cheaper.  

Lower your thermostat a few degrees in the winter.  Raise it in the summer.

Lower your water heater temp to 120 degrees if set higher.  If you use a dishwasher, the temp shouldn't be lower than that.  

Use your dryer at "less heat."  My clothing is totally dry at that setting.  

Make sure lights and the TV are turned off when not in use.  Replace incandescent lights with LEDs.  

Cable boxes use a good amount of electricity.  I pull the plug on TV boxes that aren't used very much.  

Driving around unnecessarily using lots of gas?  Also, less wear on your car equals lower repair costs and having to buy new tires.  

If you use Comcast and have been a long standing customer, ask for a loyalty discount.  Other cable companies might offer that too.  

Look on Youtube to see if you can do some household repairs yourself.  Some are very easy; however, we have been led to believe we need a professional. 

Shopping?  Look around for sales and the lowest prices on the internet.  

While not all will work for you, there are many ways to save money...look for other suggestions on the internet.  

Honored Contributor

Where I live, $800/month isn’t too much for groceries for two people who seldom eat out.  This has been mentioned already.  Add grown children and grandchildren who eat some meals with you....can’t imagine how to do it for less, without sacrificing on quality/ fresh foods.  

Trusted Contributor

For a couple months, write down every single thing you spend money on. Even the small little things, like a soda or a candy bar. Then at the end of the month you will be able to see where your money goes and if there are any things you can change. 

I know it's a hassle but it really does work! 

Honored Contributor

@buyornot wrote:

I am newly retired and would like any tips that people have on saving money-I am willing to try anythingSmiley Happy  I'm 66 and live with my husband and have a few young grandchildren. One thing I did was add up all of the withdrawls from the nice grocery store that we have here.  I am spending about $800/month on groceries.  We do not eat at restaurants at all and rarely spend money on entertainment except tv. Any tips would be so interesting-no matter how smallSmiley Happy

@buyornot 

Congrats on your retirement!  

I haven't read all of the other posts, so I may repeat some of the other tips.

I've only been retired for a little while, too, and I was concerned about finances.  But I find that I am actually saving so much money now that I am not working!  I was always shopping on my lunch hours which caused me to overspend and buy things which I really didn't need.  Now, I only go shopping occasionally and I have a list and try to stick to it! Also, I no longer am spending money on work gifts and giving money for different occasions there, so that saves a lot!

I shop weekly for groceries and always have my list and try to plan some meals ahead of time.  The less you are in stores the better.  Plus, it saves on gas!  I buy groceries at Walmart and Aldi.  Much cheaper!

DH and I go out to eat maybe once a week or maybe every other week.  We clip coupons and ask for senior discounts.

I don't know if you enjoy reading, but if so, instead of purchasing new books, go to places like Good Will and other thrift shops.  Also, use the local library.  Libraries often have bag sales, too, where you can purchase a bag full of books for a nominal, very low price.

Keep an eye out in your local paper for events happening which are free. Many things to see and do now that the weather is getting nicer and probably quite a few things which you and your grandchildren could do together.

If you have household items, clothing, handbags, jewelry, etc., that are in great shape, try putting some items on line for sale.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@piperbay wrote:

Bring cash to the grocery store

Visit garage sales

Shop at Aldi if there is one in your area, although I don't prefer to buy meat there

Here we have both Aldi's and Lidl's (both German grocery discount stores).  I love Lidls much better - mostly bc it's newer and brighter and well kept.  Their produce on sale never has time to go bad bc it all sells/rotates fairly quickly.  I love their meat also.  When they run a sale on chicken, it's always cheap and if by the third day there's still a large quantity left they discount it another 30% to sell it rather than let it go bad and have to toss it. 

Joined BJs (only bc I needed 4 tires and they had a great sale), Lidls and Aldis I save a lot.  I buy all my paper products at BJs.

Trusted Contributor

Wow $800 seems like a lot for 2 people.  I don't spend that for a family of 6 per month.

I take advantage of sales and make a list thinking about meals before we go.  I recently started shopping at Aldi and we have a Sara Lee Bakery Outlet near us.  I get bread 4 loaves for $2 and many other items such as hot dog buns for $1.   

If you are only buying Name brand items - start trying store brands.  Many of them are just as good as the name brand ones.

Pay attention to the price of items at various stores.  While many people "think" Walmart is the cheapest, I have found that there are items which are actually more expensive there.

Since you have grandchildren - one tip I use to help budget for X-mas is purchasing 1 gift card at every shopping trip for a store I know I will need to shop at during the holidays.  All of my holiday presents are purchased using gift cards I have accumulated throughout the year.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

Wow $800 seems like a lot for 2 people.  I don't spend that for a family of 6 per month.

I take advantage of sales and make a list thinking about meals before we go.  I recently started shopping at Aldi and we have a Sara Lee Bakery Outlet near us.  I get bread 4 loaves for $2 and many other items such as hot dog buns for $1.   

If you are only buying Name brand items - start trying store brands.  Many of them are just as good as the name brand ones.

Pay attention to the price of items at various stores.  While many people "think" Walmart is the cheapest, I have found that there are items which are actually more expensive there.

Since you have grandchildren - one tip I use to help budget for X-mas is purchasing 1 gift card at every shopping trip for a store I know I will need to shop at during the holidays.  All of my holiday presents are purchased using gift cards I have accumulated throughout the year.

Every other week Shoprite will have a gift card offer where if you buy a total of $50 in gift cards from certain stores you will get a $10 off coupon good on your next shopping trip.

Honored Contributor

@elated @I agree with you about eating out...don’t trust the health and safety practices of some restaurant workers.Most people think I am a little silly about that but nice to know someone who feels the same.

Super Contributor

Best advice--don't leave the house and stay off the computer.