Esteemed Contributor

Why would you stop for your carry on?

I saw on the news about the crash of the Russian passenger jet.  They reported seeing people walking away from the plane with their carryon bags. I also read earlier they suspect people in the front stopped to get things from the overhead bins and caused a bottleneck.

Why oh why when the back of the plane is engulfed in flames would you stop for anything? Things can be replaced.  Fire is the only thing that scares the living daylights out of me.

One American was killed along with several others including 2 children. Those poor people and their families. I just can't imagine.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why would you stop for your carry on?

@CrazyKittyLvr2.  That made me sick when I heard it. I would have punched and kicked them and tried my best to get around. They want to save their luggage and let people in the back die. They should be charged.

Esteemed Contributor

you can't fix stupid......

Honored Contributor

It's easy to second guess in your armchair.

If you have never been in a disaster/emergency situation, it's not so easy to think at that moment.  You don't know what you would or wouldn't do, what the circumstances are, what you could grab because you couldn't exit the plane at that moment, etc. etc.  

And to insinuate someone willingly blocked others I can't understand. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It's easy to second guess in your armchair.

If you have never been in a disaster/emergency situation, it's not so easy to think at that moment.  You don't know what you would or wouldn't do, what the circumstances are, what you could grab because you couldn't exit the plane at that moment, etc. etc.  

And to insinuate someone willingly blocked others I can't understand. 

Your answer is spot on!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner   I didn't insinuate anything. I just stated news reports.  And while there are alot of situations where you don't know what your reaction would be, I am 100% certain in a fire I'm out of there. No personal property is worth dying for.

I heard of  another crash instance where people did the same thing. All I can say is if I'm trying to get my loved one and myself off a burning gas can with wings you best get out of my way,

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There was a piece on the evening news about this, and how passengers stopping to get their belongings out of the overhead may have impeded evacuaton in a few recent aircraft incidents (USAirways landing in the Hudson, Asiana at SFO, British Airways at LAS). It was on NBC, I'm sure it will be available on-line if anyone wants to see it. I have noticed in the past few months that in the pre-take off safety briefing that flight attendants have been telling people that in the event of an evacuation, they must leave everything behind. But they don't listen. 

In over a million backside-in-seat miles flown, I've never had to evacuate an airplane. Even so, when I get onboard I put my ID, a credit card and some cash in one pocket and my cell phone in another. That way they're already on me and if if there is an emergency, I can get up and go while still having what I need to get myself home. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, when looking at the videos of the crash, it looks like the back of the plane burst into flames on impact.  They're saying the engines caught fire either before on on impact.   I'm not sure those passengers in the rear ever had a chance to even try to evacuate.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

that was sickening to hear.  just nauseating that people would jeopardize the lives of others that way.  

Honored Contributor

I’ve never been in a plane crash before, but I think I might be in shock and operating on auto pilot.  Maybe not making the smartest decisions.  So I can’t be critical of those who may have grabbed a bag before getting out.  

My sympathies to the passengers and crew.