Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help Me With Tips TO Save Money-Please????

-Look for sales

-Buy in bulk

-Use coupons

-Shop on senior citizen days for an added discount.My local  supermarket offers a 10% discount to seniors on Wednesday’s.

- Make sure you lower the heat/ air conditioning when you leave the house.

-Turn the lights off as your exiting a room.Don’t leave them on in a room you’re not in.

- Review your cable bill.Are there any services you can eliminate? Call your cable company.You can renegotiate a better deal.I do it every year.

- can you reduce the cost of your cellphone? Perhaps a pay as you go plan so you only pay for the services you use.

Honored Contributor

When you walk into a place of business including retail, the first things you should ask......

Do you have any of the following discounts......

Senior?

AARP?

AAA?

County/City?

The above is the same for phone calls.

Patronize retailers that will tack on manufacturer coupons along w/their own.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Extreme measures but worth considering:

Own just one car.

Downsize to a small home, condo or apartment before you and DH get any older.

Possibly to a less expensive area of the country, although being near friends and family certainly has merit. For me, stayed in a $$$ state to be near family, but downsized and moved to a less expensive area. Saving a LOT on just that one change, but trying to always stay ahead of all spending when and where possible.

Also, men's and women's haircuts, color, etc. at a vo-tech or beauty school. 
Some vo-tech schools also do basic car mainenance

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You start with making a budget. There are major factors such as whether or not you have a mortgage. Do you rent? Do you plan on downsizing? Do you get social security, have a pension, IRA's, savings? Why don't you sit down with a financial advisor who can answer your questions? You need to get your answers from a knowledgeable professional. 

Honored Contributor

I have to agree with everyone else, $800 a month on groceries for 2 people seems extremely high.

Trusted Contributor

Are you sure you did your math right on those groceries?  You may live in a more expensive area, but that seems way too high. I am retired with a husband and we don’t spend even 400 per month. If there are special occasions requiring special meals, it’s a little more. This week, I am not going to the store unless I need something specific. I will put our meals together with what I have on hand. I shop the sales, Cook mostly from scratch, and don’t waste anything. I think if you examine your budget and how you cook, you will be able to save a lot right there. Good luck. A challenge like this can be fun. 

Honored Contributor

I know there are lots of blogs and sites with info on this, some have worksheets you can download and use

Esteemed Contributor

$800 for 2 seems very extreme.  Sounds like groceries should be a good place to start to reduce expenses.

Trusted Contributor

I went to tv antenna only.  I don't subscribe to anything and don't miss anything.

Review your cell phone plan. I only say this because I'm astounded at how much others pay for their cell phone service.  There are plans for $25/month.

I hate to say this but don't shop here where everything is now overpriced.  You can get better deals in many other places.

I think establishing needs vs. wants is an excellent idea as someone else mentioned.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

Yes retirement is certainly a horse of a different color ...

Aldi's has saved me a ton of money ... but like others .. I don't

buy meat there ....