Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@elated   It's 27 degrees where I am. My 15 year old heat pump (which actually needs some refrigerant) is not flashing. The thermostat is set at 66, and I am using a small space heater in this always cold room. When I go to  bed and turn off the space heater, I predict it will switch to electric resistance heat tonight. Ugh.

It is not flashing now but it is at 73..I will need to do more research for  heat pumps. It is not good  to have so little knowledge about the heat pump. Thank you for your feedback.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated - Oh, and if you have ceiliing fans, turn them on low - in the winter position to bring down the heat from the ceiling.

Esteemed Contributor

I want to thank everyone for your input. It means more to me than you know. Wishing each and everyone a Merry Christmas.

Respected Contributor

@riley1   Good tips!

@elated    I knew nothing about heat pumps when I moved into this house. (But at least I knew heat pumps use refrigerant, unlike the idiot technician I was sent.)

The thermostat heat symbol only flashes when the heat pump is running and it has switched to emergency heat.

I'm glad your son is close by. 

Remember: Learning new things keeps our brains young. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

For real cold climates = HP's stink,  Had to get warm by using the kitchen stove.  (not safe)

@fthunt 

That is not safe at all. Please get an electric blanket. 

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

I moved into a house that has a heat pump. I thought they were suppose to be energy efficient. Much to my surprise the bills have been very high and I don't know what to do. I am not use to these high charges. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

I could not use only a heat pump to warm my home.  A heat pump is supposed to be used as a supplement (I thought).  Though, depending on where you live you can get away with just a heat pump.  Not me though....

I'm too cold natured and it gets cold in NYC.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@elated 

Heat pumps are clean, they are energy efficient, but they are not a cheap source of heat.   

I am in WV, four seasons country, in an all electric home with a heat pump.  Our thermostat setting is 72 year round, which keeps the 4 adults in this household comfortable and complaint free.  

A normal bill for this house would probably be $150+ a month.  However, this household is not normal, so our bills run from $225 to $400 a month.  

On our normal Heat setting, the outside unit draws in air, warms it and blows it thru the ductwork.  When the outside temperature is extremely cold, the outside unit has to run longer and work harder to keep the house warm.  In the most frigid temperatures, I change the setting over from Heat to EmHeat, which takes the outside unit out of the picture and our heat comes solely from the heat exchanger of the inside furnace unit.  While the house is warmer due to direct heat, this setting uses more power, and increases our electric bill.  I only resort to this option when forecasters use the word frigid, or polar vortex.   

@RedTop I didn't know heat pumps work with ductwork.  I always thought they were ductless.  Like this:

The Pros and Cons of a Ductless Heating and Cooling System | HGTV

Is this what you're talking about?  Last Summer I was considering one and got some quotes for a set up just for my bedroom area (which would be for air conditioning only) but I fugured the cost difference for the heat pump to be included was worth it.  Still rather costly for me at that time.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@elated wrote:

I moved into a house that has a heat pump. I thought they were suppose to be energy efficient. Much to my surprise the bills have been very high and I don't know what to do. I am not use to these high charges. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

@elated 

I wouldn't be blaming the heat pump. Read up on energy cost rises to everyone. High Demands/Low Supply? Pretty simple math and a better questions is why energy shortages!

My suggestion is what we do. Turn the thermostat down, and start layering more clothes. The worst ain't here yet.

hckynut 🇺🇸

I do layer. I wear sweatpants, long sleeve t-shirts, sweatshirt, socks and sweater. I don't know what else to wear. I know energy costs have risen but was unaware how much. It just is shocking. I am learning a very hard lesson.. Very sad.

@elated 

It is sad. Remember less than 2 years ago our country was energy Independent. We were exporting energy to other countries making money, now?

I am wearing sweatpants/thermal long sleeve shirt and a mid-weight hoodie. My patio room thermostat is set at 60° and I am comfortable. BUT!  I do have a small kitten/larger cat, and Lily our dog, laying on my chest and legs! Remember, "much of your body heat exits through your head".

Ooops! The bigger cat just left. 

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Adding a simple undershirt, cheap at the big A, makes a world of difference.

That is what we do at hunting camp...it work's!