Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

For real cold climates = HP's stink,  Had to get warm by using the kitchen stove.  (not safe)

@fthunt We had a heat pump a long time ago and I hated it.  I felt cold the whole time we lived there.  We have natural gas heat and electric a.c.  Our highest bills are usually the summer.  It's right--the heat pump doesn't blow warm air.

Honored Contributor

We have had heat pumps for the last 44 years, a total of 3 different ones, house is cold in winter, hot in summer, nature of the beast!!!

Contributor

We are fortunate to have a mountain home and a home near the beach. They are six hours apart so we go back and forth depending on season and weather. The mountain house has propane for heating. The beach house is all electric with a heat pump.

I've been following the artic air forecast to hit both houses soon. We decided to head to the mountains for the cold weather because we would freeze with the heat pump. 

The Heat pump is pretty useless with temps under 40. Last February my electric bill was $300! Heat pumps are fantastic for heat and humidity....bills run about $60 during the summer. 

We are staying here n the mountains until the temps reach 70  near the beach. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Blueridge Liz wrote:

We are fortunate to have a mountain home and a home near the beach. They are six hours apart so we go back and forth depending on season and weather. The mountain house has propane for heating. The beach house is all electric with a heat pump.

I've been following the artic air forecast to hit both houses soon. We decided to head to the mountains for the cold weather because we would freeze with the heat pump. 

The Heat pump is pretty useless with temps under 40. Last February my electric bill was $300! Heat pumps are fantastic for heat and humidity....bills run about $60 during the summer. 

We are staying here n the mountains until the temps reach 70  near the beach. 

My bill was $258.00. I almost cried when I received the bill. I have never in my lifetime paid such a high energy bill. I live in Kentucky and temps for Friday is suppose to be 4, Saturday 16 and Sunday 19. I am sick now and don't know what I am going to do. I can't tolerate being cold. I wear sweatpants, long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt and sweater plus a throw when I am sitting.

I moved from Colorado where I lived in a 1 bedroom with gas and electric. My bills together never totaled over $110.00. I live on a fixed income. I was going to do budget plan but you need to live here for 10 months, I have lived here three. I can use the previous owner's bill to vet a budget plan. Sorry, to go on and on but I am shocked. Thank you for your input.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

I moved into a house that has a heat pump. I thought they were suppose to be energy efficient. Much to my surprise the bills have been very high and I don't know what to do. I am not use to these high charges. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

@elated 

I wouldn't be blaming the heat pump. Read up on energy cost rises to everyone. High Demands/Low Supply? Pretty simple math and a better questions is why energy shortages!

My suggestion is what we do. Turn the thermostat down, and start layering more clothes. The worst ain't here yet.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@elated   Before it gets really cold Friday, make sure your thermostat is set on heat and not emergency heat. On my thermostat, if the heat pump has automatically switched to emergency heat, the heat symbol flashes. If you see it flashing and it's not too cold out, there's a problem with your heat pump.

Why not call the service company back and see if they can come tomorrow. Or call a different company. We know you're not feeling well, and it's hard to be assertive, but it's going to be really cold, and you need to prepare.

Can you go to someone's house for a few days? Do you have a space heater? What will you do if the heat pump completely stops working? If you have only been in your house for three months, you have no idea how it will function on Saturday. Heat pumps are very different.

Please call a friend or family member and just let them know your heat pump may be not working right.

We'll deal with the money issue next week. Right now, you have to prepare for extreme cold.

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@elated   Before it gets really cold Friday, make sure your thermostat is set on heat and not emergency heat. On my thermostat, if the heat pump has automatically switched to emergency heat, the heat symbol flashes. If you see it flashing and it's not too cold out, there's a problem with your heat pump.

Why not call the service company back and see if they can come tomorrow. Or call a different company. We know you're not feeling well, and it's hard to be assertive, but it's going to be really cold, and you need to prepare.

Can you go to someone's house for a few days? Do you have a space heater? What will you do if the heat pump completely stops working? If you have only been in your house for three months, you have no idea how it will function on Saturday. Heat pumps are very different.

Please call a friend or family member and just let them know your heat pump may be not working right.

We'll deal with the money issue next week. Right now, you have to prepare for extreme cold.

It is 34 degrees now. Is that too cold? I looked at the thermostat and there is a symbol like a flame that keeps flashing. I do have an emergency switch but it is not on. Thank you for your help. I am not familiar with heat pumps

My son lives about 15 minutes away but his house is huge and has several heat pumps but it is always cold to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@elated wrote:

I moved into a house that has a heat pump. I thought they were suppose to be energy efficient. Much to my surprise the bills have been very high and I don't know what to do. I am not use to these high charges. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

@elated 

I wouldn't be blaming the heat pump. Read up on energy cost rises to everyone. High Demands/Low Supply? Pretty simple math and a better questions is why energy shortages!

My suggestion is what we do. Turn the thermostat down, and start layering more clothes. The worst ain't here yet.

hckynut 🇺🇸

I do layer. I wear sweatpants, long sleeve t-shirts, sweatshirt, socks and sweater. I don't know what else to wear. I know energy costs have risen but was unaware how much. It just is shocking. I am learning a very hard lesson.. Very sad.

Respected Contributor

@elated   It's 27 degrees where I am. My 15 year old heat pump (which actually needs some refrigerant) is not flashing. The thermostat is set at 66, and I am using a small space heater in this always cold room. When I go to  bed and turn off the space heater, I predict it will switch to electric resistance heat tonight. Ugh.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated - I don't know where you are located but I'm in the southeast and have a heat pump. Plain & simple, get used to a cold house - these houses were not built for the colder temps - no insulation, large windows, high ceilings, etc.

You can expect high monthly bills and it will seem like your pump is never turning off. My thermostat is usually set at 67 for the day 66 at night. With the intense cold we are getting this weekend, I put it at 68 day/67 night - I know not a huge difference but it does make a difference.

Also, try not to keep adjusting your thermostat. And, you should not set it for more than about 2 degrees either way - don't go from 68 to 72 or the pump will never turn off.

Good Luck!