Honored Contributor

Re: Heartbroken by All the Devastation in Parts of Florida Hit Hard by Ian

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@the geeger wrote:

People live in Florida because they want to; tornadoes, earthquakes, severe winter storms are destructive too and yet people live these places too.  Destruction can strike anywhere.

@the geeger, Yes but hurricanes in Florida are a sure thing every year. I owned a home there for many years.

@tiny 2 But there is not necessarily a hit to Florida every year, and certainly not in the same place over and over and over again

True, but I would expect a high probability in the span of five to ten years.  People gambling with those odds had best carry homeowners and flood insurance.  (And have a second home elsewhere!).

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

There are many safe lovely areas to live in the country. 

Those deciding to live in hurricane prone areas should think twice about moving there.  

Yes it is sad, but I ask myself the same question every year...why do people move there risking their lives, pets', other animals' lives, and everything they own?

Maybe, Florida and other hurricane zones should have remained wildlife habitat.  Wildlife can escape much more quickly, then return when it's safe.  

2 Bald Eagles lost their nest in Southwestern Florida.  Harriet and M15.  Returned and are building another one in the same tree.  They don't require a lot of money and help to rebuild.  How long will it take for human residents to rebuild?

I may sound cruel...not cruel, just realistic.  

@Foxxee I wonder the same thing about people who live in the fire prone areas of California.  Or the hurricane prone areas in the plains.  Or the towns at the base of volcanos.  Yes, some places are safer than others, but no place is truly immune to Mother Nature.  People who live in Florida and on the coasts know the risks.  That is a decision that they made, knowing the good and the bad that comes with living there.  I have a friend who lives in the Fort Myers area, and is about a mile from the coast.  He had no damage or flooding to his home whatsoever.  Living right on the coast and next to a waterway is a certain lifestyle that many people are drawn to, and I don't see that changing.

@Puppy Lips 

It isn't as simple as saying they are attracted to the area....of course they are or they wouldn't live there.  Of course, there are also volcanos, earthquakes, tornados, but how often do they cause such large disasters?  

I think of the burden on others needing to rescue them and their pets, put them up for a while until they can get back on their feet.  Animal organizations rescuing their dogs using donations that could be used in other ways.  Federal and state help paid by taxpayers.  

The problem as I see it is these people mostly must depend on others for help until they can get back on their feet...and people throughout the country feeling sorry for them sending donations.  These people live there for purely selfish reasons, many expecting to be rescued when a disaster happens.  This applies to all disasters when residents know they could lose everything they own.  

You say no place is immune from mother nature. Where else in the country do we see hurricanes hitting every year?  Maybe, not the same states every year.   Yes, bad things happen in the country, but as I see it nothing compares to the hurricanes hitting the southeast every year.  Second might be fires on the west coast, but then again, why do people live there?

Mother nature is much kinder in most of the country. 

@Foxxee Oh wow.  Not sure how to even respond to that.  People choose to live in a place where they can enjoy and thrive.  That includes the weather, the economy, the activities,the political climate, the proximity to attractions and friends and family, as well as many other things.

Hurricanes DO NOT hit the southeast every year, and they are not all devastating.  By your standards, no one should live anywhere along the Gulf coast (in Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida) or the East Coast from Miami up to Maine, as hurricanes can strike there as well.  People have homeowners insurance, and should have flood insurance if they are prone.  Disasters are what insurance is for.  And people helping those in need is what we are all about.  Are the rescuers complainng that they have to go help?  I don't think so.  As far as the tax payers footing the bill - yes - because that is what we do to help each other.  There are FAR WORSE things this country is wasting the tax payers money on.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@the geeger wrote:

People live in Florida because they want to; tornadoes, earthquakes, severe winter storms are destructive too and yet people live these places too.  Destruction can strike anywhere.

@the geeger, Yes but hurricanes in Florida are a sure thing every year. I owned a home there for many years.

@tiny 2 But there is not necessarily a hit to Florida every year, and certainly not in the same place over and over and over again.

@Puppy Lips, There usually is but they do not make landfall in the same place every year but the effects can be experienced 100's of miles away. What I find so heartbreaking is that none of these people had to die. This is just my personal opinion but I think that if you do not have the judgement or the means, to leave when you hear CAT 3-4-5- (catastrophic damage) then you should not be there particularly where there is that much water.
My in-laws put me through hell regarding hurricanes and refusal to evacuate. They finally understood that if they were ever found sitting on their sofa all boarded up with the water up to their knees that it would be their last day in Fla. After that they evacuated when needed and I kept my word to always get them back home. They lived out their days on Siesta Key and both died peacefully in Florida.

We all "feel" safer in our own homes but it is just a feeling and not a reality when it comes to storms like this. Some of these stories are so horrible. There was one guy that had to get out in a small boat in the hurricane storm surge & winds to try to get to his 80 year old mother who was calling for help. When he finally got to her the water was up to her neck. She put his life in such danger and her own so that she could stay in her comfort able "safe" place. There was another 46 yr.old woman found dead in her bed still clutching her cell phone and her elderly mother saying that in all the horrible blizzards she had endured  a blizzard had never taken anything from her. It goes on and on. The destruction couldn't be avoided but most of the death could.

Esteemed Contributor

@tiny 2   I saw the story about the man swimming 1/2 mile to get his Mother.  she was in a wheelchair and had one leg. she called him when the water was up to her chest.

I could never ask a stranger to risk their life much less my own child.

The authorities said that if people stayed and were in trouble no one would/could come.  I heard they were inundated with 9-1-1 calls from people who had water pouring into their homes.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:.

@Foxxee Oh wow.  Not sure how to even respond to that.  People choose to live in a place where they can enjoy and thrive.  That includes the weather, the economy, the activities,the political climate, the proximity to attractions and friends and family, as well as many other things.

@Puppy Lips 

Hurricanes DO NOT hit the southeast every year, and they are not all devastating.  By your standards, no one should live anywhere along the Gulf coast (in Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida) or the East Coast from Miami up to Maine, as hurricanes can strike there as well. 

True, except hitting the northeastern coast is much less frequent.  Those states do suffer from an occasional hurricane and much less serious remnants of southern hurricanes.

People have homeowners insurance, and should have flood insurance if they are prone. 

Should??? Not everyone can pay for expensive flood insurance and who pays for the increased premiums after such disasters.  

Disasters are what insurance is for.  And people helping those in need is what we are all about. 

I keep hearing that comment from a politician I interpret as trying to make the public feel guilty.  It's what you are all about, not me.  Yes, for helping those who suffer from issues no fault of their own is what I am all about.  

Are the rescuers complainng that they have to go help? 

We have no idea what rescuers are really thinking.  Could be "Here we go again!"

I don't think so.  As far as the tax payers footing the bill - yes - because that is what we do to help each other. 

HA!  Being forced to pay for it.  Again, you say "not what we do to help each other."  Who are the "WE."  Speak for yourself.  I don't like to be forced to pay for anything.  Try not paying your taxes to see what happens.

There are FAR WORSE things this country is wasting the tax payers money on.

I don't know about that.  It's right up there.  If no one lived in those areas, the government wouldn't need to spend a dime on hurricanes and floods. 

Intentionally living in an area that is rarely threatened by disasters is for me, but not for thee.   

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@tiny 2   I saw the story about the man swimming 1/2 mile to get his Mother.  she was in a wheelchair and had one leg. she called him when the water was up to her chest.

I could never ask a stranger to risk their life much less my own child.

The authorities said that if people stayed and were in trouble no one would/could come.  I heard they were inundated with 9-1-1 calls from people who had water pouring into their homes.

@CrazyKittyLvr2, Yes I was watching one of the updates with an officer and somehow a couple of the 911 calls could be heard. The people were screaming.Woman Sad

I was sending text updates to my family in Melbourne after they lost power. My SIL's sister was in Port Charlotte. They had some debris down in Melbourne but were ok. The couple in Port Charlotte lost portions of their house but are ok. In a matter of hours it came here and 1000s of people were without power myself included. We have big trees fully leafed out. They come down easy in wind after a lot of rain.

Esteemed Contributor

@tiny 2   I only saw the storm coverage and aftermath on TV and it scared the stuffing out of me.

I love the beach and the water but nope not for me now.  i've seen beautiful mountain homes surrounded by acres and acres of trees.  Now I  see one lightning strike and fire.

Frequent Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:.

@Puppy Lips 

Hurricanes DO NOT hit the southeast every year, and they are not all devastating.  By your standards, no one should live anywhere along the Gulf coast (in Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida) or the East Coast from Miami up to Maine, as hurricanes can strike there as well. 

True, except hitting the northeastern coast is much less frequent.  Those states do suffer from an occasional hurricane and much less serious remnants of southern hurricanes.

People have homeowners insurance, and should have flood insurance if they are prone. 

Should??? Not everyone can pay for expensive flood insurance and who pays for the increased premiums after such disasters.  

Disasters are what insurance is for.  And people helping those in need is what we are all about. 

I keep hearing that comment from a politician I interpret as trying to make the public feel guilty.  It's what you are all about, not me.  Yes, for helping those who suffer from issues no fault of their own is what I am all about.  

Are the rescuers complainng that they have to go help? 

We have no idea what rescuers are really thinking.  Could be "Here we go again!"

I don't think so.  As far as the tax payers footing the bill - yes - because that is what we do to help each other. 

HA!  Being forced to pay for it.  Again, you say "not what we do to help each other."  Who are the "WE."  Speak for yourself.  I don't like to be forced to pay for anything.  Try not paying your taxes to see what happens.

There are FAR WORSE things this country is wasting the tax payers money on.

I don't know about that.  It's right up there.  If no one lived in those areas, the government wouldn't need to spend a dime on hurricanes and floods. 

Intentionally living in an area that is rarely threatened by disasters is for me, but not for thee.   

Ok, we get it.  You don't feel anyone should live on the peninsula and if they do they should fend for themselves.  

They were told to evacuate and I agree they should have.  Some were just stubborn and didn't want to leave their home and their belongings.  Some may have had no where to go, either because of no money or no family or friends that would have taken them in.  

As far as our tax dollars helping them out, I rather have my money help a Floridian than outsourcing our taxes elsewhere.  Hopefully you never need help.

Esteemed Contributor

SMH, just SMH!  Such imaginations!

Frequent Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

SMH, just SMH!  Such imaginations!

Who are you referring to?