Honored Contributor

Re: Heartbroken by All the Devastation in Parts of Florida Hit Hard by Ian

[ Edited ]

Of course all people need to be helped. I think  most of us agree with that...but who wants to "help" someone  to die? That's what I think when we talk about living where all this devastation occured....and is certain to happen again.

Weather predictions are not looking very good for the future and hurricanes are definitely on the rise.  Why would we encourage someone to go back to this kind of agony.  Yes, they need our help right now with food, shelter, medical, etc. and we should help...BUT.... what kind of help puts them in the same dangerous situation again and again and again?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know it is Florida, but it is not the same areas, over and over.

Florida has 1,350 miles of vulnerable shoreline!  

Hurricanes go anywhere the air currents push them!

Ian too path sililar to Charley in 2004.  However, Charley was only 8 miles wide and moved fast. 

Ian's eye was 40 miles wide and it moved slow!  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Long time (1963) Floridian here. I live alone in a 100 year old home in northwest Orange County. We were trashed with trees down from Ian. I can't tell you of the terror of going through the storm. Now, even though my damages are relatively modest, they are huge for me, and I don't know if I can overcome them.

Also, neighboring counties are experiencing devastating flood damages, even losing their homes.

The folks south of me on the coast, I can't even comprehend. Many of them, the luxury boat owners for example, will be able to absorb the shock.

It is we long term Floridians who are crushed. I can't even put  it into words.

Esteemed Contributor

@FLgardener I am one of those long term Floridians also.  Born and raised here.

I understand what you are saying.  I have never had any damage from a hurricane, (I live inland) but after witnessing Ian, I will never ride another one out. 

Ian really caused a new fear.  I've been through many smaller ones and never phased me.  Not Ian!  I'm done.

Saw a video on FB today of the "bridge" to Sanibel Island.  Concrete slabs look like cardboard tossed around!!!  Scary!

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@FLgardener I am one of those long term Floridians also.  Born and raised here.

I understand what you are saying.  I have never had any damage from a hurricane, (I live inland) but after witnessing Ian, I will never ride another one out. 

Ian really caused a new fear.  I've been through many smaller ones and never phased me.  Not Ian!  I'm done.

Saw a video on FB today of the "bridge" to Sanibel Island.  Concrete slabs look like cardboard tossed around!!!  Scary!

I saw this too @Zhills .  I was so frightened for the people left on the Island.  Around 6500.  How are they going to manage?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

I've read that the flooded areas are full of gators and snakes.  Perhaps it will take longer for the clean up to begin, as they will want the water to recede.  I'm not sure if that's what needs to be done, however, I feel so bad for the people who have been affected in Florida and Puerto Rico.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills @FLgardener , I live on the east coast of Canada in Nova Scotia and, but for the Isthmus of Chignecto, we would be an island.  We have four seasons.

My experience as a homeowner with hurricanes began with Juan in 2003.  Hurricanes were never part of our lexicon growing up.  The bad storms were nor'easters, especially in winter.

Fast forward 20 years and we are in hurricane watch every Fall.  Fiona was the most recent with devasting impact in north eastern Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and southwest coast of Newfoundland.

All it takes is one bad storm to entirely change your perspective.  Dorian was bad for us.  New roof and five century old hardwoods gone.

We have been praying for Florida.  It is heartbreaking to see the damage.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I've read that the flooded areas are full of gators and snakes.  Perhaps it will take longer for the clean up to begin, as they will want the water to recede.  I'm not sure if that's what needs to be done, however, I feel so bad for the people who have been affected in Florida and Puerto Rico.

Not really "full of" but their homes are underwater also.  Yes, a few are visible.  Large areas are flooded and have been for over a week now.  They have no places to hide!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Zhills @FLgardener , I live on the east coast of Canada in Nova Scotia and, but for the Isthmus of Chignecto, we would be an island.  We have four seasons.

My experience as a homeowner with hurricanes began with Juan in 2003.  Hurricanes were never part of our lexicon growing up.  The bad storms were nor'easters, especially in winter.

Fast forward 20 years and we are in hurricane watch every Fall.  Fiona was the most recent with devasting impact in north eastern Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and southwest coast of Newfoundland.

All it takes is one bad storm to entirely change your perspective.  Dorian was bad for us.  New roof and five century old hardwoods gone.

We have been praying for Florida.  It is heartbreaking to see the damage.  LM

I, too, remember many small storms during the years that we actually looked forward to!  Knocked a little citrus off the trees and kept the price up, filled the ditches with water, safe to play in, and a few small limbs to clean up.  Minimal damage!  I feel those days are disappearing!   Those beach homes that were destroyed were not new homes.  Many had lived there for years....that's why they stayed!  It is the only life they remember! 

Glad Fiona was not any worse for you. Your place is a paradise!

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Not really "full of" but their homes are underwater also.  Yes, a few are visible.  Large areas are flooded and have been for over a week now.  They have no places to hide!

Well I guess the stories I've read are overstating the problem, then @Zhills .  Since these creatures were sort of displaced I read that they are "everywhere" and the areas where homes had severe flooding is full of gators and snakes.