Honored Contributor

Re: Heartbroken by All the Devastation in Parts of Florida Hit Hard by Ian

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

As someone who doesn't live in an area that has a need for evacuations I have questions.

Do regular (not wealthy) folks to move to FL., surrounded on 3 sides by water, what, 100 ft. above sea level and prone to hurricanes, and have no plans in place for evacuation.  Do they go knowing they don't have the money to get out of Dodge? Just won't leave?

I am just curious.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Can you imagine trying to evacuate if everyone had EVs?  Just imagine the scenario of charging all of those cars!  Impossible! 

The worst are The Keys....one road in and one road out....most of it is a single lane in each direction!  Moving there you do know about the risks.

My previous neighbor who lived right behind me moved to Marathon which is in the middle of the Keys...halfway from Key Largo to Key West. 

They were smart to put their boat in storage way before a major hurricane came through a few years ago.  It was hard but they were able to make the drive by leaving early and findng a hotel in a safe area. (they didnt have to leave the state.).

When they returned they were lucky since their home had minimal damage...many of their neighbors were not so lucky.

However for most of the state one can get out if you prepare and keep a watch on the weather forecasts.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I were just discussing this  and wondering why so many didn't heed the warnings? My feeling is, if too many lives are going to be lost in these counties surrounded by water, maybe these homes should not be allowed so close to the water. Where is the sense in that?  

DH has a friend who lost a mobile home and a car in this hurricane. He is single. While he has a lovely home here in the midwest and will do fine...he wasn't insured for this one...and he was glad he was here when it happened and doesn't feel he will get another place along the ocean again. 

Whether it be hurricane, tornado, twisters, eruptions ....or whatever... we need to take these warnings seriously if we have the ability to do so.  Maybe some of these people did not have the ability to get away. If that's the case...maybe they should live elsewhere. I have noticed that some just say, "if I die, I die", but when it comes down to it..... when they are under water and about to die then living doesn't seem so bad. That's a terrible high price to pay if you ask me and, yes, it is heartbreaking  ..not only for them....  but for those who loved them and knew they were likely dying.  

Honored Contributor

I lived in Florida in the early seventies in Miami. Never had any awful weather problems. Had more hurricanes when I grew up in NJ and we lived on the water. We were on a hill so there was no flooding, but I remember many a hurricane.

Esteemed Contributor

When there in an evacuation is there transportation provided for the elderly or disabled to at least get them to a shelter?

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

There are many safe lovely areas to live in the country. 

Those deciding to live in hurricane prone areas should think twice about moving there.  

Yes it is sad, but I ask myself the same question every year...why do people move there risking their lives, pets', other animals' lives, and everything they own?

Maybe, Florida and other hurricane zones should have remained wildlife habitat.  Wildlife can escape much more quickly, then return when it's safe.  

2 Bald Eagles lost their nest in Southwestern Florida.  Harriet and M15.  Returned and are building another one in the same tree.  They don't require a lot of money and help to rebuild.  How long will it take for human residents to rebuild?

I may sound cruel...not cruel, just realistic.  

@Foxxee I wonder the same thing about people who live in the fire prone areas of California.  Or the hurricane prone areas in the plains.  Or the towns at the base of volcanos.  Yes, some places are safer than others, but no place is truly immune to Mother Nature.  People who live in Florida and on the coasts know the risks.  That is a decision that they made, knowing the good and the bad that comes with living there.  I have a friend who lives in the Fort Myers area, and is about a mile from the coast.  He had no damage or flooding to his home whatsoever.  Living right on the coast and next to a waterway is a certain lifestyle that many people are drawn to, and I don't see that changing.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@the geeger wrote:

People live in Florida because they want to; tornadoes, earthquakes, severe winter storms are destructive too and yet people live these places too.  Destruction can strike anywhere.

@the geeger, Yes but hurricanes in Florida are a sure thing every year. I owned a home there for many years.

@tiny 2 But there is not necessarily a hit to Florida every year, and certainly not in the same place over and over and over again.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Those deciding to live in hurricane prone areas should think twice about moving there.  

Yes it is sad, but I ask myself the same question every year...why do people move there risking their lives, pets', other animals' lives, and everything they own?

You make some good points.  I'm still looking for a place without hurricanes, tornadoes, derechos, wild fires, floods, droughts, earthquakes, extremely cold winters and hot summers.  When someone finds this place will you let me know?  Don't share it with anyone else though or real estate will skyrocket.

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@the geeger wrote:

People live in Florida because they want to; tornadoes, earthquakes, severe winter storms are destructive too and yet people live these places too.  Destruction can strike anywhere.

@the geeger, Yes but hurricanes in Florida are a sure thing every year. I owned a home there for many years.

@tiny 2 But there is not necessarily a hit to Florida every year, and certainly not in the same place over and over and over again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Wobin   Natural disasters is on my lists of No Go Places too.

Don't want extreme heat and humidity either. 

PA gets some very cold days during the winter but it not frigid 5 months of the year.   Snow  is a pain but once the roads and walk  ways are cleared you can get around.

I always say I can bundle up and go out in the cold, you can only strip down so far to go out in 100  degree weather.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Maybe, Florida and other hurricane zones should have remained wildlife habitat.  Wildlife can escape much more quickly, then return when it's safe.  

2 Bald Eagles lost their nest in Southwestern Florida.  Harriet and M15.  Returned and are building another one in the same tree.  They don't require a lot of money and help to rebuild.  How long will it take for human residents to rebuild?

@Foxxee I wonder the same thing about people who live in the fire prone areas of California.  Or the hurricane prone areas in the plains.  Or the towns at the base of volcanos.  Yes, some places are safer than others, but no place is truly immune to Mother Nature.  People who live in Florida and on the coasts know the risks.  That is a decision that they made, knowing the good and the bad that comes with living there.  I have a friend who lives in the Fort Myers area, and is about a mile from the coast.  He had no damage or flooding to his home whatsoever.  Living right on the coast and next to a waterway is a certain lifestyle that many people are drawn to, and I don't see that changing.

@Puppy Lips 

It isn't as simple as saying they are attracted to the area....of course they are or they wouldn't live there.  Of course, there are also volcanos, earthquakes, tornados, but how often do they cause such large disasters?  

I think of the burden on others needing to rescue them and their pets, put them up for a while until they can get back on their feet.  Animal organizations rescuing their dogs using donations that could be used in other ways.  Federal and state help paid by taxpayers.  

The problem as I see it is these people mostly must depend on others for help until they can get back on their feet...and people throughout the country feeling sorry for them sending donations.  These people live there for purely selfish reasons, many expecting to be rescued when a disaster happens.  This applies to all disasters when residents know they could lose everything they own.  

You say no place is immune from mother nature. Where else in the country do we see hurricanes hitting every year?  Maybe, not the same states every year.   Yes, bad things happen in the country, but as I see it nothing compares to the hurricanes hitting the southeast every year.  Second might be fires on the west coast, but then again, why do people live there?

Mother nature is much kinder in most of the country.