Esteemed Contributor

Re: Heartbroken by All the Devastation in Parts of Florida Hit Hard by Ian

Hurricance season isn't over yet.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Deaths toll is over 100 with many people unaccounted for.

@tansy, Thank you. I haven't heard today.

Valued Contributor

It is a very sad situation, my heart goes out to all those people that have been affected. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose everything you have worked for and even worse lose a loved one. I hope they get a lot of help and get their life back to normal soon.

Honored Contributor

Returning to my response to Foxxee's post, I want to hasten to add that some of the dearest people in my life now live or have lived in Florida.  Here are their stories:

1.  My dearest friend and matron-of-honor:  Born in Washington, D.C., but as a young bride, she and her husband decided to make a life for themselves in Florida.  They lived in Miami Springs, had a home and their only child, a daughter, there.  Then she later moved to Davie, Fla., and retired to St. Petersburg.

2.  Another BFF:  Born and raised in Maryland.  Worked for DOT like me.  Later, lived in Virginia Beach.  Retired to a barrier island off Florida.  Loving it.  She and her hubby still snorkel and fish, etc.

3.  College friend and the guy I mentioned in a post last week -- the one with whom my ex-husband and I went to Marathon, Fla.  He always loved Florida!  After he completed his schooling, he headed there and stayed.  Lives in Florida in a luxury condo on a barrier island.  Retired as a Professor of History Emeritus.

4.  A "koumbara" (close relationship through marriage):  She and her husband lived and worked in Baltimore and decided to retire in Fort Lauderdale.  A regular couple.  Their children moved to their own homes in Florida to be near them.

5.  A wonderful friend I worked with when I was transferred to Miami by my job:  Originally from upstate New York, she was divorced and went to Florida because her parents had retired there.  She eventually met a truly great guy who lived in Florida and they married.  She died several years ago at their retirement location further up the East Coast of Florida.

All regular, good people who found a satisfying life in Florida.

Respected Contributor

When you are free to choose the area of the country where you will live, you must take into account the pros and cons of the place.

If looking at Florida, you know, most likely, you will be subjected to hurricanes, some of which will be devastating and life threatening.  It is no secret.  It will always be a gamble to live there.

I wonder if those impacted by Ian will stay and rebuild knowing the hurricanes will never end or pack up and head elsewhere?

Personally, I think one would be enough.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@FoxxeeThe same questions could be asked of people who choose to live in areas prone to tornadoes, or in environmentally fragile areas like Malibu, or areas subject to earthquakes, fires, and floods. Would I want to live in any of those places?  No.  But I don't speak for everyone.

Honored Contributor

There are many people I know of who will never see their winter homes again. They are Wisconsin residents who purchased  homes in Florida. They've been notified their entire park will be bulldozed. Many planned on heading down last week, but of course couldn't go. One is now looking in Texas and Arizona for a winter residence, but isn't having any luck.

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@FoxxeeThe same questions could be asked of people who choose to live in areas prone to tornadoes, or in environmentally fragile areas like Malibu, or areas subject to earthquakes, fires, and floods. Would I want to live in any of those places?  No.  But I don't speak for everyone.

@vsm 

Very true.  

Everyone pretty much has a choice where they want to live.  

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@vsm 

Very true.  

Everyone pretty much has a choice where they want to live.  

Agree with you, @Foxxee. My parents chose decades ago to move from NY to Naples, Florida, where I would never want to live because I hate the heat and humidity but love the seasons.  They survived a 3-week evacuation to Orlando due to hurricane Irma, but my Dad (then in his 90s) declined rapidly during that short period. After he died in 2019, my mother insisted on staying in Naples. Fortunately, she has good care there, but is still without power.  At 96, she's phyically frail but sharp as a tack mentally, and I'm grateful she's where she wants to be.  I just wish she lived closer, especially now.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't mean to sound uncaring because my heart breaks for those who claim Florida as their home. I don't know much about flood insurance or the intracasies of Fema, but I sincerely hope they get the help they so desperately need.

I do have many family members who own homes on the west coast of Florida. They are, however, snowbirds owning homes here in the area I live, their Florida home and several of them also own a third lake home in the northern part of our state.

I feel it might be risky to choose a vacation home in an area where devastation could be one hurricane away.