Contributor

Re: Have you purchased a Face Mask?

I purchased a mask at someone's recommendation here at celebrityonair and received it but it's way too thin and I doubt would be very protective.  We have the molded dust covers (from Harbor Freight) but they hurt your face because they're rather tight fitting. I know they should be snug....

Respected Contributor

@bandaidinmysalad wrote:

I purchased a mask at someone's recommendation here at celebrityonair and received it but it's way too thin and I doubt would be very protective.  We have the molded dust covers (from Harbor Freight) but they hurt your face because they're rather tight fitting. I know they should be snug....

I have a set from that company also, @bandaidinmysalad .  I wear two at a time with a coffee filter or some fabric interfacing between them for an additional layer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  Thanks for taking the time to explain that. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

@bandaidinmysalad wrote:

I saw on a news show where the host folded a paper towel and placed it inside the mask.  that might help.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to sew, but don't anymore for various reasons. I ordered a double layer mask with a place for a filter AND a nose wire from RaenellHill on etsy. Came across country in about a week. Love it!  

ETA: You can, if you wish, turn it into a tie mask by simply adding a length of string/rope/other to the ear loops.

Honored Contributor

I found some fabric masks for $6 and $10 on etsy.  I bought 3 and they are lined and in different colors.  The quality was good too.

The funniest thing I've seen lately are videos/pictures of people protesting stay at home orders while wearing masks.  One can't fix stupid.

Honored Contributor

No since they are no protection for the wearer from covid.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Yes,  I bought 3 from Etsy and they were not great--will work but have to tweak them as they are way too big---but I found a good pattern and I have been sewing them up for us. made out of quiltling cotton and the fabric is really cute and cheery---nice fit and not too complicated and I have a ton of fabric ----

Respected Contributor

Yes. Here, in NJ, it is required by law to wear a face mask or covering to go get into a grocery store. Whether it protects the wearer from the virus or not ( I believe it does same as when I worked as a nurse, we wore them when someone on the floor  was contagious) it certainly cant hurt.😷

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

I'm making them and am giving them to family, friends and donating them.  I can't imagine charging  for them.  Most of us that sew have most of the things we need in scrap pieces of fabric we had no idea what we would use it for anyway.  It takes just a few minutes per mask to make.  It's the least I can do when there are so many people at the front lines and those in need.