Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever purchased something, from anywhere, and lived to regret it?

@queendiva wrote:

Of course. Just yesterday while going through my bath & beauty stash I regretted buying so much of it through the years!

I know better and do better now. New Year's resolution to save more and spend less. 

First month was pretty good. Spending a lot less at QVC than in years past, and they are making it easy to cut back. 

These days I keep all packaging and receipts from all stores and return within a week or two if I find my purchase was unnecessary. There's a bag in my car to be returned to Marshall's later this week.

@queendiva   This sounds like another addiction of sorts...  constant buying and returning.  I had a friend who did that... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only bad purchases I can think of are when I attempt to save money and end up spending more on buying what I should have bought in the first place.

Honored Contributor

I think the older I get, the less I am even interested in having tons of new clothes and shoes....because I don’t work, I honestly don’t meed them and few places to wear them...so it’s not even a temptation.
Valued Contributor

I just sent back an Apple Watch I owned for 5 days. I have a small wrist and the watch was clunky and uncomfortable. It needs to be used in conjunction with an iPhone so the battery in my phone and the watch were depleted rapidly. I didn't find it particularly useful either. Dumb impulse purchase for sure.

Honored Contributor

I have learned that the best buy is a three year-old luxury car such as Lexus or BMW. You can buy an older one depending on the mileage and if it’s been certified. Three years is the best because these cars have been turned in as lease returns. They were taken care of, unlike rentals. There may be a place in your area who does nothing but sell lease returns.
Honored Contributor

I am the only one in my family without an Apple Watch....have no desire for one. My iPhone is more than enough.
Esteemed Contributor

@chiclets D & B Bags...................I'm suffering right along with you.  Beautiful but hate therm............the weight.....so they sit there and I carry a $80 bag.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Very few people can say they didn't regret a purchase. QVC sold radar detectors and GPS devices long ago. I bought both and rarely used them.

I never owned a radar detector, but I loved my GPS device. Now I have a dashboard mount and use my iPhone, but it has limits. I live in Texas and if I mount my phone on the dash where I can see the map without looking down, it's in direct sunlight. When it gets too hot, the phone shuts down so it won't be damaged. I never had to worry that my old GPS device in the dashboard mount would get too hot and shut down in the sun.

Respected Contributor

Oh, sure. I sometimes forget who I am and buy things for the life I'd like to lead instead of the one I actually live.

I almost never wear makeup, but I keep buying highlighters because they're just so much fun. I've been putting more of my energy and money into skincare and have stopped spending on shadow pallets or lipsticks I've realized I'll never use, but highlighters are hard to quit.

I don't cook very often and sometimes buy kitchen appliances or tools I swear I'm going to use and then rarely do because I don't enjoy prep work. (If someone told me I had to peel potatoes, slice celery, or wash mushrooms in order to save your life. well...  I'm sorry in advance.)

I've bought shoes and other clothes that in no way match my lifestyle or my climate, but I wished they did just long enough that I bought them. I generally only do that if they're on clearance or other deep discount. Considering I live in central Texas, I own way too many wool sweaters I can only wear once or twice a year. (It's 76 degrees on this February 4th. It was supposed to be 82, but a cold front came in early.) I don't regret most of the clothing items, but sometimes I do wonder what I was thinking.

Honored Contributor

Sure, I've had buyer's remorse over a few things.  Thankfully nothing major.  Usually things to help me clean, and I either don't use them or they didn't work like I thought they would.